Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov | Page 296 | Golden Skate

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov

Sfey

On the Ice
V/T used 'skyfall' by Adele as an exhibition program in 2013-14, so I don't think there's a problem with them "stealing" D/R favotire artist. lol

Lol, true.

I've also thought of V/T using 'Take Me To Church' as a SP, since that could really suit the sensual chemistry they have,*but didn't and American team already use that song this season?

Or a a more upbeat SP, like Michael Jackson's 'The Way You Make Me Feel.'

*i think other top teams like S/H and S/K have good chemistry to, but V/T's chemistry is unique in that it's much more sensual as well as romantic.

Sfey

On the Ice
Um, not trying to decrease DR's glory moment or anything, but 50% of the crowd in Boston was Canadian, as in they have come especially from Canada to support their athletes, as many of the people I talked to told me there. They would have responded to any music as long as Canadians were interpreting it on the ice.

I'm sure they would have. I was more referring to their music choices being crowd pleasing in that the songs are recognisable, emotional and not particularly complex melodies, which can sweep audiences along, especially if they audience is already favourable. It's a smart tactic, especially if musical interpretation isn't a couple's strength.

V/T, of course, have great musical interpretation, so they don't need to use the same tactic. But I could imagine 'Somebody To Die For' getting a big audience response.

Sfey

On the Ice
This is off topic, but argh, I really with the myth that Maxim insulted Duhamel's appearance would go away. I'd provide links in threads myself, but I promised myself not to post outside this thread. Not worth the drama. Oh well.

aceiel

Rinkside
Hmm... personally I think it is a mix of good choice in music and the interpretation of it at precise moments, while it's a different discipline just look at the Shib sibs' Fix You program- that song is so overplayed in general, but the timed their elements perfectly to rally the crowd to get involved, same with Hanyu's final step sequence in Romeo and Juliet back in 2011 (and of course, the final minute of V/T's Waltz, or just, well, any v/t program lmao). You need a lot of power at certain points if you're going to go down the route of choosing a well known song that requires such standards. Which is why D/R don't do much for me on that front because they just rely a little too much of the emotion of the music in itself if that makes sense? I found that in the final moments of their LP the strings in the song are beautiful, I want to be involved and drawn in by it- but just for me their movements don't quite get there enough. The changing notes on the strings could be matched by arm movements, or they could have timed the throw at another point perhaps in order to place the preparation time they needed for it a little bit better (I don't claim to be an chorographer by any stretch of the imagination oh gosh, but I have worked for years with how to time sound and visual media together).

In contrast look at V/T's Violin Muse, outside of the lifts during changing and long notes, they match them whether it be a change in posture or a movement of the hand, and a quite... incredible thing I noticed (which im not actually sure was done on purpose :laugh:) was even their foot positions as they skated, the literal basic movement of skating round the corner in preparation for one of the final lifts was timed note-perfect. When you want to work with music that requires that subtle interpretation, the smallest details at certain moments is what you need in order to draw the audience in.

Last edited:

kinoriH

Final Flight
This is off topic, but argh, I really with the myth that Maxim insulted Duhamel's appearance would go away. I'd provide links in threads myself, but I promised myself not to post outside this thread. Not worth the drama. Oh well.

you mean links for translations? You can post them here if you want, I'd really love to read them.
I promise not to post them outside this thread.

Sfey

On the Ice
you mean links for translations? You can post them here if you want, I'd really love to read them.
I promise not to post them outside this thread.

Yeah, someone translated his commentary last year when people were saying he insulted D/R during his commentary. I don't have a link to the translation right now, but if my memory serves me right it turned out he never mentioned her appearance.

Edit: people can think what they like, and I don't think it's worth wading into an internet argument over. It's easy enough for me to ignore such comments. I just don't like seeing someone blamed for something they haven't actually said, and my inner History teacher always shouts "CHECK YOUR SOURCES." :drama:

Last edited:

Sfey

On the Ice
Anyway, to get back to more positive discussion, Misha Ge tweeted to Max that he (Misha) now respects Tanya and Maxim even more. That's sweet. It's nice to see them get support from other skaters. :) Apparently Virtue/Moir will be at Ice Legends too, so this will be a good opportunity for V/T to spend time with friends.

Last edited:

aceiel

Rinkside
I heard somewhere that Tania and Max will be going on holiday again with Stéphane Lambiel after it I think? Hooray for holy trinity reunion! :dance2: (oh how I wish they would do a program together like Johnny Weir did with Gregory and Petukhov...)

kinoriH

Final Flight
They said that they want to go on holiday in May and it's supposed to be a very late honeymoon. So I guess it's going to be just the two of them (?).

monwara

Rinkside
They said that they want to go on holiday in May and it's supposed to be a very late honeymoon. So I guess it's going to be just the two of them (?).

I've heard that they will join Fantasy on Ice in Japan in May. Their honeymoon may be after that, just two of them😍😍👍🏻

orangella96

Final Flight
Them skating to "Take me to Church" would probably amazing.♡
To be honest I doubt anyone would criticize them for skating to Adele, not like anyone has a monopoly for her songs ;)
This year were even two pairs using the same song by Annie Lennox. It would all depend on what tgey do with it, and knowing them it would never or seem to be a copy of anything anyone ever did before. Im sure about it.

borzaya

Final Flight
Anyway, to get back to more positive discussion, Misha Ge tweeted to Max that he (Misha) now respects Tanya and Maxim even more. That's sweet. It's nice to see them get support from other skaters. :) Apparently Virtue/Moir will be at Ice Legends too, so this will be a good opportunity for V/T to spend time with friends.

By the way, Tamara Moskvina said a lot of nice words about them, too - http://tass.ru/sport/3172700

She said that people shouldn't overdramatize their unsuccessful performance at the Worlds, and that if they are in good shape next season, surely they will be able to be getting their proper scores again. She said that it's a common situation in any sports, when somebody can win everything, then suffer from injuries or lack of shape, and then return to the high level again. She also said (obviously asked about their readiness) that only themselves and their coach could know how much ready they had been. She also supported Nina Mozer, and disagreed with the widely-spread tendency to blame NM for "monopolism" in pair skating. Very classy of her :yes:

Sfey

On the Ice
By the way, Tamara Moskvina said a lot of nice words about them, too - http://tass.ru/sport/3172700

She said that people shouldn't overdramatize their unsuccessful performance at the Worlds, and that if they are in good shape next season, surely they will be able to be getting their proper scores again. She said that it's a common situation in any sports, when somebody can win everything, then suffer from injuries or lack of shape, and then return to the high level again. She also said (obviously asked about their readiness) that only themselves and their coach could know how much ready they had been. She also supported Nina Mozer, and disagreed with the widely-spread tendency to blame NM for "monopolism" in pair skating. Very classy of her :yes:

I wish I could read Russian. Thanks for giving a summary! That seems like such a classy response from Moskvina. K/S and the Mozer teams may be rivals but from what I've seen in interviews, they all seem to respect each other.

I'm glad V/T are doing shows and then maybe going on holiday. A change of scenery and a break may be exactly what they need right now. I wonder if they'll have new exhibition programs?

Last edited:

monwara

Rinkside
Stephan informed in an interview that V/T will join Ice Legends Show and after that they are going to vacation in Thailand together.
Thailand!!!! My country!!! I'm so excited they will be here.😍😍😍😍
Enjoy vacations all.

Sfey

On the Ice
Thinking more about possible programs, I remembered John Coughlin's comment that V/T always aim to tell a story with their programs. It just occurred to me that the other top pairs don't focus on this much. I hope V/T keep doing this, it sets them apart from the rest of the pairs field imo.

What other stories or characters could they portray? I'm a ballet nerd, so I'd love to see them take on some more ballet scores/characters, since their take on Swan Lake was so amazing. Sleeping Beauty maybe, or something less well known like Mayerling.

I also loved Bobrova/Soloviev's Anna Karenina FS and I thought V/T could portray those characters very well.