Team Event: Free Dance Play-By-Play | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team Event: Free Dance Play-By-Play

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I miss the crotch lift. The modified version just isn't as dramatic and shocking. They should bring it back, but what do I know.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
THAT WAS GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will love you until my dying day ...:clap: :peace: :dbana:

rain

Record Breaker
Virtue and Moir were magnificent. I'd be disappointed by the score, except, with this tough tech panel, that's home run. Plus, they can see where they lost key points and fix it for the individual.

I was not sold when I heard they were doing Moulin Rouge, but this program, with the change they made after the grand prix is a masterpiece.

And whoohoo Canada on gold!!!

Artistry

On the Ice
I just rewatched Virtue Moir Canadians and today, prefer the program before the tweaks. The 2 parallel cartwheels she does where he lfts her are gone, she changes her 2nd one and it doesn’t look intentional, some new mov’ts seem raw, also very last lift he doesn’t raise his hands to music. Basically, it’s still amazing of course, but I wish they didn’t tweak it. Anyone agree?

rain

Record Breaker
I just rewatched Virtue Moir Canadians and today, prefer the program before the tweaks. The 2 parallel cartwheels she does where he lfts her are gone, she changes her 2nd one and it doesn’t look intentional, some new mov’ts seem raw, also very last lift he doesn’t raise his hands to music. Basically, it’s still amazing of course, but I wish they didn’t tweak it. Anyone agree?

I like the tweaks. Especially the change of the two parallel cartwheels into one parallel cartwheel into a FAR more tango hold. Much more in character with the music. I thought it all looked VERY polished.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I turned off the computer and GS postings and merely ENJOYED the last portion of the team event, the Free Dances. I recommend it. For one thing, I noticed that every single one of the five teams really made me feel something. That's why I watch figure skating, to feel something ... even when part of my brain is admiring technique that is so seamless that you're hardly noticing it.

I was just happy being In the Dream with each dance team!

Kana and Chris. Chris is pure charm, and he's definitely the emotional center of the team. It's as if his beautiful smile exists just in order to focus the attention on Kana, who is the Star in his book. I love their SD and FD this year. The Cherry Blossom music is so right, so light and dreamy; and with their Ice Dancing they convey the beauty.

Anna and Luca. This is my favorite program of theirs, by far. Life Is Beautiful is very difficult to capture the emotion because of the comedic elements that it's hard to forget from the movie. But rather than go comedic, Anna and Luca perfectly portrayed that section of the dance with joy and light. Anna, in particular, for me really embodied the divergent emotions in each section of the program ... and Luca supported her perfectly in it. The triumph and endurance at the end ... just wonderful. I'm so glad they'll be skating this program in their home country for Worlds.

Bobrova and Soloviev. I'm not quite there with this FD; but I really like their SD this year. However, I can see that they're feeling the story and portraying it with drama. I respect their sincerity. And I admire their 100% commitment to the program.

Maia and Alex. I feel like this performance of their FD reached the emotional level that they're been trying for all season. I simply loved it. For the first time, I felt like they transcended their incredible technique and matched their precision with the higher love or purpose that they've intended from the beginning. It was really gorgeous, and you could tell from Maia's face that she (well, they both) were so happy to capture the elusive moment.

Tessa and Scott. For me, this skate was also the outcome of a program that they've been developing and loving and smoothing and perfecting over time. Just what a skater's program is intended to do over the season. And I realize that I'm not typical on this board ... but until tonight, I'd seen the technique and the work too much to really get lost in the experience and emotion of their dance. With this performance, they brought me on board, right onto the ice with them; I felt the passion they have for it and totally understood why they wanted that music so much. Maybe their acting finally became seamless for me. Like watching actors who become the character, rather than watching actors and being aware that they're acting a role. Tessa and Scott lived it. They were just sublime in that moment.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Dance,

The results were obvious even before they started. This is dance with abundant perfect score in the prediction game. I am not an expert at all and I rarely watch dance in the first place. Some impressions still.

The Japanese were OK before the freak fall. Then the guy looked as if he lost motivation.

C/L were much better. I did not like them before because I thought they were boring. They were not today.

B/S - I think that was their best performance: they were so in the emotions may be even a bit over the top. But this is who they are. The only visible thing which I could pick was the big distance between them during the twizzles.

When S/S started I thought: "it is dance - they will get more for that than B/S because their reputation is higher, although they are mechanical and not engaging." But the second part is outstanding. Their rotational speed on twizzles is mind-boggling. And then those lifts. I could see why they were a bit higher than B/S.

And V/M are outstanding technicians. Their class is clear even to non-experts as myself. Still (I became reserved about using "but"in "yes, but") when both are perfect they will lose to P/C who are as good technicians but who bring more soul and emotions.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I really enjoyed the FD last night, and rewatching it today.

Last edited: