TEB is Cancelled | Page 35 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

peg

Medalist
You hold up Rodeghiero as an example, but did you actually watch her skate? Yes people got surprised, but she produced a surprisingly good skate, and it seems to me she was simply rewarded for that.

If you think the judges were being generous to her, let's hear your assessment of the protocols, the GoE awarded for each element (which GoE bullet points she hit and didn't hit), and your evaluation of her components in terms of the PCS criterias.
I don't think StitchMonkey was saying the judges were too generous to Rodeghiero - at least that's not what I got from their post. I think what they were saying that the scoring was fair, but if the judges thought only SP results would be used, they may have been less fair because of her lack of reputation and that they would have scored some of the bigger names more generously.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think the bottom line of it is: Whatever the ISU decides to do, at least 1 skater will seemingly be "short-changed" by the decision and like every other decision the ISU makes - a good majority of fans will hate it.

Trewyn

Medalist
Does anyone know if there will there be any prize money awarded for TEB? If not, maybe those funds could offset adding extra skaters to the final somewhat.

Oh prize money is another complication I hadn't thought about! Having put some thought into this and knowing that it was suggested to use the SP results for qualification purposes, I think that SP placements should determine GP qualification points but the competition in itself mustn't award titles, medals or prize money because the competition itself wasn't completed. This only leaves the issue of the tie-breaker, which can probably be resolved in different ways, should the need arise. It's like people say, some skaters benefit, some might feel duped no matter what solution you come up with.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I've only been able to read though about half of this thread so someone may have already suggested this, but here's my proposal.

Calculate the standings like normal for all events except TEB.
Any skaters that were at TEB that still would mathematically have a shot at making the final with points from TEB would either be invited to compete. The ISU would have 2 options they could offer the skaters a direct bye to the final or they could hold a FS in Barcelona a couple days before the final to determine placements who would go. Which option would depend on logistics for the venue etc.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
According to Russian media (it is not declared as official yet) the results of SP are counted as final for TEB. Also ISU will let the main countries represented in GP series (Russia, USA, Canada, China, Japan and France) to come with proposals about who of skaters who underperformed in SP on TEB should get extra invitation to GPF. http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20151116/879738874.html

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If that passes, I would expect US to ask for Max Aaron, Canada to ask for Chan and Séguin & Bilodeau, and Gilles & Poirier, provided they don't otherwise qualify, China to ask for Peng and Zhang, France to ask for James & Cipres, if they don't otherwise qualify, Russia to ask Tuktamysheva and Tarasova & Morosov, and Kovtun, if he does not otherwise qualify, and Japan to ask for Daisuke Murakami.

What are your guesses?

Last edited:

adelia

Record Breaker
If that passes, I would expect US to ask for Max Aaron, Canada to ask for Chan and Séguin & Bilodeau, and Gilles & Poirier, provided they don't otherwise qualify, China to ask for Peng and Zhang, France to ask for James & Cipres, if they don't otherwise qualify, Russia to ask Tuktamysheva and Tarasova & Morosov, and Kovtun, if he does not otherwise qualify, and Japan to ask for Daisuke Murakami.

What are your guesses?
Russia's proposal did not include any specific names:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...n-into-winter-2015.96796/page-12#post-4632522

Sorrento

Record Breaker

What are your guesses?
Not sure about Seguin& Bilodeau (though I like them a lot) but other names would come to my mind first too.

adelia

Record Breaker
It does not cite Russian proposal, only a preliminary info.
"Alexander Kogan, the head of FFKR, confirms the information: "We made a comprehensive proposal to the ISU and the Grand Prix Commission in order to provide the skaters who deserve it the maximum opportunity to skate at the GPF in Barcelona," adding that the document doesn't include any specific names."

Sorrento

Record Breaker
"Alexander Kogan, the head of FFKR, confirms the information: "We made a comprehensive proposal to the ISU and the Grand Prix Commission in order to provide the skaters who deserve it the maximum opportunity to skate at the GPF in Barcelona," adding that the document doesn't include any specific names."
I don't think it's the only document they would be sending to ISU prior to the official announcement. Also- names list may come as the result of an on-line discussion, don't you think?

adelia

Record Breaker
I don't think it's the only document they would be sending to ISU prior to the official announcement. Also- names list may come as the result of an on-line discussion, don't you think?
It doesn't matter what I think or anyone here thinks. According to the article (which is the only source of real information as of now), Kogan has gone on record as saying the proposal they submitted has no specific names. Whether later on they submit another document or not, that's speculation.

havefun

Rinkside
Sounds like a good solution. At most you have 9 in any one discipline. So it adds an extra day to the GPF at most. I am sure all large Federations will agree to chip in and absorb cost.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sounds like a good solution. At most you have 9 in any one discipline. So it adds an extra day to the GPF at most. I am sure all large Federations will agree to chip in and absorb cost.

I think that would be a good idea as well. Besides, haven't we always wanted more in the GPF anyways?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
According to Russian media (it is not declared as official yet) the results of SP are counted as final for TEB. Also ISU will let the main countries represented in GP series (Russia, USA, Canada, China, Japan and France) to come with proposals about who of skaters who underperformed in SP on TEB should get extra invitation to GPF. http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20151116/879738874.html

I don't think i like this.

There is already a perception and many accusations of power issues in skating, that stronger federations get better treatment. There are already those that feel the team events are wrong because those countries are too disproportionately powerful. This comes across a little too close to "SP score stand unless your federation is powerful enough" which I really don't like. Even if it is not true I don't like the appearance of it and it could leave a bad taste in some people's mouths. I don't like the idea of people getting in the GPF basically because they come from a powerful federation. That is really not what the sport needs and I fear it will leave a very bad taste in many people's mouths.

And this is assuming that everyone plays as fair as can be done in this situation. I suspect if this works we will hear the word "bribe" thrown around a lot. My fear is that many will see this as just an exercise in showing which federations have the most power. And sadly... there could be an element of truth to it.

At a minimum it should be open to *all* countries to petition, not the big ones.

Also if country representation is so important they should have a "minimum X number of countries" rule in place... preferably one that adds skaters not replaces skaters. No one cared (well not officially at least) about the ladies JGP final only having Russian and Japanese skaters in it last year. If countries were an issue/relevant it should have come up by now.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I don't think i like this.
I guess it has to do with financial issues mainly. Also if other countries had a top athlete participating in GP- their interests would count too. At this moment those countries have top players in every field so...
To me it doesn't matter how many country representatives there will be in GPF, we get a single (pair) winner in each category and that is fine with me.