Teen skater - boot recommendation | Golden Skate

Teen skater - boot recommendation

nat_onice

Spectator
Hi!
I’ve been really needing some advice on boots. I’m a young teen skater who’s been skating for around 1-1.5 years. A couple months in a got the Jackson’s Exel boot and mark 2 blades. They were a gift from my grandmother who got them off of Amazon. They’ve hurt my feet so much since and have no support. My coach told me she definitely thinks I need new skates. I did absolutely NO research before asking for my skates and picked solely on aesthetic. This time I need to be more careful lol. I’m doing high level single jumps and working on lower level doubles (it’s super hard) and I’m trying to find good boots for that. I absolutely love tan boots and have been trying to find some. So far the boots I’ve looked at are the edea chorus,concerto and show girl and some risport boots. I’m cautious with the Chorus boots because my friend who’s also a skater a bit higher then my level had them and they broke down in five months for her. I’m also a very fast learner and have been moving up pretty quickly. I’ve also been considering switching disciplines to ice dance (pair or single.) because of personal reasons I wouldn’t start for a couple months. I don’t make a lot of money as a babysitter and my parents can’t afford to buy new skates if I switch. So I’m really not sure what to do, concertos seem like a good idea but they are above my level(I’m going to the pro shop in a couple of days but I want to do my research first) and show girls im sorta iffy about. I’d really appreciate any help!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome!

First of all, please never do another jump in the Excels, especially not doubles!! Those are for little kids learning basic skills. It's a little surprising that your coach is letting you jump in them, honestly. I'm not knowledgeable enough to recommend specific boots, but jumping in Excels as a teenager is extremely dangerous and you could seriously injure your ankles.

Also, not every boot brand is right for every foot--the people in this forum with more experience and knowledge of boots will be able to point you in a good general direction, especially if you give this information for them to go off of: height, weight, foot width, foot shape (helpful graphic), and how high/flat your arches are. A (good) fitter will be able to help you with this too, as you know.

One more thing: Mark II are pretty terrible as far as blades go--I know getting new boots AND blades will be a struggle on a young teen babysitter's budget, but to get the most out of new boots, it would probably be best for you to also switch to an intermediate level blade like the John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro. Your current blades might also not fit new boots, especially if you change brands or if you weren't sized correctly for your Excels. If you get gifts for the holidays you could maybe ask for contributions to this cause?

Good luck getting your new skates!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi!
I’ve been really needing some advice on boots. I’m a young teen skater who’s been skating for around 1-1.5 years. A couple months in a got the Jackson’s Exel boot and mark 2 blades. They were a gift from my grandmother who got them off of Amazon. They’ve hurt my feet so much since and have no support. My coach told me she definitely thinks I need new skates. I did absolutely NO research before asking for my skates and picked solely on aesthetic. This time I need to be more careful lol. I’m doing high level single jumps and working on lower level doubles (it’s super hard) and I’m trying to find good boots for that. I absolutely love tan boots and have been trying to find some. So far the boots I’ve looked at are the edea chorus,concerto and show girl and some risport boots. I’m cautious with the Chorus boots because my friend who’s also a skater a bit higher then my level had them and they broke down in five months for her. I’m also a very fast learner and have been moving up pretty quickly. I’ve also been considering switching disciplines to ice dance (pair or single.) because of personal reasons I wouldn’t start for a couple months. I don’t make a lot of money as a babysitter and my parents can’t afford to buy new skates if I switch. So I’m really not sure what to do, concertos seem like a good idea but they are above my level(I’m going to the pro shop in a couple of days but I want to do my research first) and show girls im sorta iffy about. I’d really appreciate any help!
Hi and welcome.

You can't just pick based on "what you like"

In order to help you get what you really need ( and you really should NOT be jumping in the boots you currently have). I need to know a few things:
Height/Weight, foot shape (egyptian, greek etc--look this up), arches: high, normal, low.

From there I can suggest brand, boot etc. Also, where in this world are you so we can send you to a proper figure skating fitter and not a pro shop.

You're also going to have to decide if you want to stay with freestyle or dance b/c they require different boots/blades.
And last but not least, the only way to get tan is custom for the most part. There is one stock tan boot with Jackson but they are going to be too high rated for you more than likely. Any other tan boot is custom or for elite level skaters/pros/coaches.

Last edited: