Tell me about Sandu | Golden Skate

Tell me about Sandu

Linny

Final Flight
Wish I knew more about this guy... besides his up and down career.

I'll check the Skate Canada thread for number of jump attempts versus jump completion... can someone provide the same for some of his other competitions? He's famous for falling apart... how often does he do that and to what extent? Is it complete meltdown, or does he loose one element, get the next back, then loose the next two?

He doesn't seem to do what some skaters do where they start well, then miss one thing and then all the air comes out of their balloon and they just stop skating... he seems to skate well, then loose it, then get it back...

Anyone know what his training technique is like? Is he consistent on the practice ice, or casual in his approach? Has he been with the same coach for years? Does he take time off in the summer or keep at it?

How's his injury record? Any of that plaguing his career?

For the skating Program Components section, there does not seem to be a man skater out there who has better... but you CoPs followers please tell me: do his Program Components scores consistently beat the other guys? Or do they drop also with the misses on jumps?

He's attempting but quad-toe and quad-salchow. Has he ever gotten both in the same competition? And what's with his short programs... is it because the technical elements count so much and the program components are not weighed so heavily?

Last year when he won the GP Final, our cable company broadcast instead a terriorist warning. So I didn't get to see his performance, nor did I see Plushys.

Sandu is my kind of skater. Marvoulous skating that keeps you on the edge of your seat and not just because you never know what you'll. At least I think he's my kind of skater... but I'd like to know more.

Linny

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Being a Canadian, I've been watching Sandhu since he was a kid. He came up in Senior men's in 98 (just in time for Olys) and wowed the crowd. He had the quad at the time. Skate Canada did not send him to the Olys and a lot of people were very disappointed. However, since that time, Eman has proven he is not at all a pressure player. He is not the kind of skater who can have one error and come fighting back, he usually falls apart and pops the jumps after a mistake. He is pretty good at having a great skate in the long after a disastrous short program. The CoP works for him in that aspect and that's exactly what happened at Skate Canada. He has all the program compnonets to be at the top of the world. He has great spins and great artistic. He used to train with the National ballet of Canada so the artistic comes naturally. At present time, he has not done the Q sal in competition that I know of. He hits the Q-T combo about 50-50 in competition but he's been doing the combo for years and it's very consistent in practice. When he lands the jumps, they're beauties; nice and high and straight with lots of flow. I don't know Eman personally so practice/training reports are only rumours that I've heard. The rumours are that he's quite a prima donna and not exactly the hardest worker but again that's just what I've heard. I don't recall him having any imjury problems.

I think for Canadian skating fans, Eman is a heartbreaker. Unfortunately, we've seen those absolutely stellar performances when he comes up with all the tricks and has the spins and artistry to back it up. But then we've watched him come out at worlds at completely just blow it! Emmanuel has had the same coach (joanne MacLeod) forever leaving many wondering whether a change in coaching would lead to a change in mental fortitude and a btter work ethic. Until then, we're all sitting on the edge of our seats just hoping one of these days he can combine a strong short and long at worlds!.

Hope I answered most of your questions and maybe soemone who knows him more personally or trains with him can answer your questions better about the Q sal, the injuries and his training ethics.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Forget Sandhu, bring on Buttle!!!

Having just seen Skate Canada, I am so amazed at Buttle's skating. He's like a Klimkin with polish. His choreography and footwork is amazing. Too bad he's not that strong a jumper but WOW! I almost wish that he just gives up on the quad and focus on delivering his program cleanly b/c he's so much better in spins and footwork than everyone else.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sandu is Breathtaking

Emmanuel is one of my favorite skaters and since this thread is about him I will comment on just him. After talking with several Canadians at Skate Canada, they are saying a coaching change would be the best for Emmanuel. They didn't say why or anything about Joanne but that it would just be good for him. Watching him in practice is such a treat. He lands his jumps and as Dick Button has said, he leaves his program in practice. I was so happy for him when he won gold. To watch him is breathtaking!! His movements are right down to his finger tips. If he were consistent in his jumps, I wonder who could beat him?

Dee

dfj

On the Ice
I am a little unclear as to why everyone is so critical of Emanuel's performance at SC. The guy had the guts to go for the quad in the SP - took a gamble and lost. Jeff and Ben took the easy way out and went for the 3/3 and won that round. Unfortunately for Jeff and Ben, you don't win against the likes of Plushy or Joubert with 3/3s.

I rather liked Emanuel's "go-for-broke" attitude here - even going for the 4 sal in the LP. Good for him!

Jeff is fabulous. That is obvious. But he'll need a couple of 3As (one in combination) and (maybe) a quad or two to compete at the very top. We'll see.

I think Eman should be given some credit here. This is the best I've seen him this early in the season.

My only wish is that he would take some of those fabulous moves he showed us in his exhibition (spreadeagles, spirals, spins) and put them into his LP.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Sandhu frustrates me one minute and the next minute has me on the edge of my seat. He is so talented and yet so unpredictable.

I too like Jeff Buttle and think he is amazing on the blade. However, Sandhu has the competitive edge because he can do quads.

Both Jeff and Emanuel are artistic skaters.

It will make for a very entertaining Canadians this year!!!

brenlynn

On the Ice
When Eman is on, he is on and he is a pleasure to watch.

I just wish he could manage to be more consistent, he is so talented and full of potential.

He is one of my favorite male skaters!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dfj said:
My only wish is that he would take some of those fabulous moves he showed us in his exhibition (spreadeagles, spirals, spins) and put them into his LP.
Dfj, I totally agree and thanks for reminding me. His gala performance was spectacular!!! I too agree that he can do the quad and if consistent, I really don't think that anyone could touch him. Maybe this will be the year. At least he tries. He is rather tall and does get quite a bit of height on his jumps. I know I will be keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Dee

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
Sandhu frustrates me one minute and the next minute has me on the edge of my seat. He is so talented and yet so unpredictable.
/QUOTE]

Precisely. Sandhu has so much talent, but he hasn't yet managed to gain consistency in his performances. You can be a great practice skater, but the practice ice isn't the ice that wins titles. You have to deliver the goods on the competitive ice.

I saw Sandu skate in Skate Canada a few seasons ago. He fell on his opening jump, and that mistake completely unravled him and the rest of his program.

Another great Canadian skater, Kurt Browning, said something that Emanuel needs to do - i.e., to skate in the present. Forget the mistakes, they're over and done with. Skate to this beat of music and perform this element. What is past is past. You can still salvage a program after a fall if you get up and skate the rest of the program cleanly.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Just watched the his LP in SC. Loved the program. he :rock:

Loved his interview with Peter, 'I know with the new judge system if I put all out there there is outside chance I could win, that's what I did. Not like the short program, the short program is not Emanual Sanduh.' :rofl: :rofl:

Overall he give me the impression of an not matured characteristics.

ikfan

Rinkside
Eman tidbits

If you are anything like me you will want to know all the little "extras" about your fav skater, LOL! I was at SC 2004 and attended all the practices so here goes

From Skate Canada 2004 tidbits:

*He was the last to come on the ice after warm up started and the very last to leave when practice ended for all his practices.

*He always seems very relaxed at these sessions and was doing quad after quad. Always acknowledged his fans at the end of the session with waves and bows at center ice.

*Very friendly atmosphere between him and his coach. Lots of smiles and big arm gestures.

*Very gracious to his fans both old and young. Signed EVERY autograph requested and had uncountable photos taken! In fact on his last practice session he stayed on the ice by the boards signing until the zamboni guys made him leave. BUT he didn't use that as an excuse to leave he just went to the kiss and cry just off the ice and instructed everyone left to line up there and he continued to sign, smile and pose. He must have been there at least a half hour. He seemed to be enjoying himself. He often spoke to the people he was signing for .

* Not to start any rumours here but he has the longest eyelashes I ever saw! Almost looked false.

* After the medal cermony he took his time and signed books etc and posed yet again for photos every few feet around the ice.