The Cheating (?) Edge Jumps | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Cheating (?) Edge Jumps

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
What I was confused about was this. If you start your jump facing North and going South backward, then prerotate 1/4 turn (now your blade is East-West on the ice), then you do three complete rotations of the blade -- it seems like when you land your blade is aligned East-West when you hit the ice, while your momentum is still carrying you South. So you can't really do three revolutions in the air on matter what.

The thing is you're going in an arc when you lead into the jump, not a straight line. There is always backwards momentum from whatever point you start at.

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Evan Lysacek tends to skid and pre-rotates his triple axel quite often. I get surprised his triple axel gets ratified as often as it does because his pre-rotation seems very obvious even without slow-mo. (I'm not an Evan hater: he's a good skater but his triple axel is down right horrible technique-wise.)

IIRC, didn't his odd Axel technique have something to do with the stress fracture to his hip a few years ago?

Or am I thinking of something else?

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I don't quite understand this. If you prerotate 1/4 turn and then do three complete revolutions in the air from that point, don't you land sideways?

I suppose you do sort of land sideways but a deep knee bend just means that the edge curves round some more and that can be difficult to hold as it can be a a little like over-rotating.

Ant