The Increase of 'Questionable' Judging Trends | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Increase of 'Questionable' Judging Trends

genki

On the Ice
Well, did the 5 years old who obviously knows better than many trained judges also happen to sleep through the SP as well?[/QUOTE
]:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You mean "trained judges" who let Yuna win over perfect Mao in 2010?,who let Kozuka wait so long to crack 8th in PCS and raised that Spanish guy's PSC for 2 points all of a sudden, or who let Rachel Flatt win the Nationals over Mirai in 2010 in spite of the fact that even Scott Hamilton already declaring Mirai as a winner?

I guess they were sleeping with 5 year old too.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So ISU can fire all the judges and hire just Scott Hamilton and Genki, as whatever they say should be the unquestionable judgements? Oh, add a 5 year old. 2 out of 3 goes, just to be democratic.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Per Mr. O'Neill, "Chan's PCs scores were clearly too high considering the errors performed. Scores in the 9's out of a maximum of 10 were not justified. More precisely, his performance and execution segment score averaged 8.21 compared to his 8.5 average at Skate Canada for a better skated program compared to the same marred program as he skated in Paris."

Patrick's performance in SC is NOT far better than that in TEB. In TEB he landed two beautiful quads and only fell once (as opposed to the two falls in SC). If his 8.5 PE mark is justified in SC, so is the 8.21 in TEB.

In comparison, Takahashi didn't perform well in SC (indicated by the low TES although he didn't fall), but his PE mark was 8.32, higher than Patrick's "undeserving" 8.21 in TEB. So what does that tell you?

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan2011/gpcan2011_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Last edited:
As for misusing GOE, I had a chuckle on that. Really? Unless you really believe some of the misleading statements out there that we have heard before, the judging panel really doesn't feel that anonymous when it comes to disciplinary actions. Remember the judge who gave D/W 10's at Cup of Russia's flawed SD? Anyone who believe that judge can hide behind anonymity with no checks in place is seriously delusional no matter who have told him otherwise.

I was disappointed that Mr.O'Neill claimed that there was a recent trend towards a greater spread in GOEs and more judges giving marks outside the corridor, yet backed up this statement with only one example: some judges liked one of Adam Rippon's jumps and some didn't.

This is a question that we do not have to speculate about. Either there are more marks outside the corridor this year than last, or there are not. Anyone who is curious about this can add them up. IMHO this should be done before, not after, writing an opinion piece about it.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
You mean "trained judges" who let Yuna win over perfect Mao in 2010?,who let Kozuka wait so long to crack 8th in PCS and raised that Spanish guy's PSC for 2 points all of a sudden, or who let Rachel Flatt win the Nationals over Mirai in 2010 in spite of the fact that even Scott Hamilton already declaring Mirai as a winner?

Scott Hamilton has declared that Yagudin might not beat Tim Goebel in 2002 Olympics after men's LP before the scores came out.:rolleye: I don't know why you take him as a "smarter than the judges" example? I think Scott wasn't doing any good for figure skating by declaring a winner before the judging result.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton has declared that Yagudin might not beat Tim Goebel in 2002 Olympics after men's LP before the scores came out.:rolleye: I don't know why you take him as a "smarter than the judges" example? I think Scott wasn't doing any good for figure skating by declaring a winner before the judging result.

NBC wants their commentators to be pro America no matter what. So, he does.

genki

On the Ice

That's unfortunate. But my point is that on that night, everybody in area was scratching head after winner was announced. Don't you remember that?
That is one of the moments that COP's flaw was revealed blatantly.