The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 174 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

yunaddiction

Rinkside
:laugh: Finally you feel the same what Mao fans felt for many years when Mao got edge called for her flutz but Yuna practically never got edge called for her lip. Yuna used favoritism from judges, now someone else used her method. Why are you having problem with that. Hypocrite? Karma works. It's fair.

You don't understand how Yuna fans have felt for many years when she got unfair edge calls for her worderful & technically perfect Flip.
A good Flip like Yuna's has 'slight' in-edge, not like Lutz that has 'obvous' out-edge.
You need to be able to evaluate the trace of the blade on the ace first to talk about Flip edge issue.
Yuna's taces always say her Flip has no problem.

By the way, Mao's Lutz has apprently wrong in-edge. Inexcusable.
It's a totally different issue.

yuki90

On the Ice
You don't understand how Yuna fans have felt for many years when she got unfair edge calls for her worderful & technically perfect flip.
A good Flip like Yuna's has 'slight' in-edge, not like Lutz that has 'obvous' out-edge.
You need to be able to evaluate the trace of the blade on the ace first to talk about Flip edge issue.
Yuna's taces always say her Flip has no problem.

By the way, Mao's Lutz has apprently wrong in-edge. Inexcusable.
It's a totally different issue.

Agreed, Midori Ito said YuNa's flip is perfectly inside edge.

parma

On the Ice
Korean Olympic Committee and Korean Skating Federation just made a formal complaint to ISU about the composition of the judges at the Olympics.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but some things are just common sense. Here are one judge's marks for Adelina's long program.

+3
+3
+3
+3
+3
+3
+3
+3
+3
+2
+3

That is an insult to the concept of "judging." If I were that judge, I would, immediately after the contest, rush over to the skater, give her a big hug, and shout, "We did it! We did it!"

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't have a dog in this fight, but some things are just common sense. Here are one judge's marks for Adelina's long program.

+3
+3
+3
+3
+3
+3
+3
+3
+3
+2
+3

That is an insult to the concept of "judging." If I were that judge, I would, immediately after the contest, rush over to the skater, give her a big hug, and shout, "We did it! We did it!"

Sorry casue I never pay much attention to the COP new system, but if I remember correcly, then the highest and lowest score was eliminate?

That's not the point I was making. This judge trashed the system and mocked the (evidently naive) notion of fair play.

caelum

On the Ice
Sorry casue I never pay much attention to the COP new system, but if I remember correcly, then the highest and lowest score was eliminate?

Yes, though that doesn't mean that your score plays no role. But, the more important point here is at the Olympics, the premiere event in figure skating, we have a judge that is either a complete moron who does not understanding the GOE guidelines or is completely corrupt. Neither scenario should give you much faith in the competency / integrity of the remaining panel.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

The same could be said about the judge who was the only one to give Yuna +3 for her 3F, FCCoSp4, and 2A+2T+2Lo. In addition to giving her 9.5 for TR and 10 for CH, which is egregious given the amount of times in the program when choreography stops to set up a jump.

CarneAsada

Medalist
That's not the point I was making. This judge trashed the system and mocked the (evidently naive) notion of fair play.
Hey, at least he/she didn't give all 10s in PCS! And besides the -1 for the two-footed step out there was one element that got only a +2! :laugh:

capcomeback

On the Ice
Yes, though that doesn't mean that your score plays no role. But, the more important point here is at the Olympics, the premiere event in figure skating, we have a judge that is either a complete moron who does not understanding the GOE guidelines or is completely corrupt. Neither scenario should give you much faith in the competency / integrity of the remaining panel.

Brilliantly said.

Here is another dubious judge's scores (which did count if the other judges scores were tossed).

Almost as bad (with the understanding that judge only had 6 scores out of 17 scores-between TES and PCS different than the other judge (and those differences are negligible). Again, it's either gross incompetence or cheating.

ILuvYuna

On the Ice

You know what it reminds me of? Grading on a curve (when the teacher takes the top grade in the class - say 92 - and raises it to a 100, for a difference of +8, which is then applied to the rest of the grades.)

This is just a hunch, but putting up as high a score as you possibly can could be part of a strategy :think: If you make sure that your score is the one that gets tossed out, it guarantees that the same score from another judge will count (maybe someone good at match can confirm this... Mathman? :biggrin:)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You're welcome to your own opinion. I rather enjoy correcting people who make mistakes.

You are conflating two entirely separate points:

1. Cheating judges should be banned.
2. A panel headed by judge X.

Point #1 is a defensible point of view. Point #2 is an obvious falsehood. I don't understand why it pains you to admit that. If you don't care about that, the obvious choice is to skip the post, since you have zero power over what I choose to post or not post.
The poster you insulted never even said the judging panel was headed by anyone. It was someone else. And who cares, since the point is about cheating, not leadership.

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
Cap - you posted your comment while I was composing mine, but it pretty much confirms what I was thinking: it could be a strategy (see, game theory)

Brilliantly said.

Here is another dubious judge's scores (which did count if the other judges scores were tossed).

Almost as bad (with the understanding that judge only had 6 scores out of 17 scores-between TES and PCS different than the other judge (and those differences are negligible). Again, it's either gross incompetence or cheating.

capcomeback

On the Ice
The same could be said about the judge who was the only one to give Yuna +3 for her 3F, FCCoSp4, and 2A+2T+2Lo. In addition to giving her 9.5 for TR and 10 for CH, which is egregious given the amount of times in the program when choreography stops to set up a jump.

Here's the difference in your commentary. You are picking at four or five individual scores. We're picking at more than thirty (just between two judges, wait until we start looking more in depth at the others).

capcomeback

On the Ice
I♥Yuna;890553 said:
Cap - you posted your comment while I was composing mine, but it pretty much confirms what I was thinking: it's a strategy (see, game theory)

I♥Yuna-

There are at least two more judges whose scores are out of whack. Feel free to pick another, lol.

Yeah, "Game theory" makes sense here...

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
I♥Yuna-

There are at least two more judges whose scores are out of whack. Feel free to pick another, lol.

Yeah, "Game theory" makes sense here...

I would single out columns 2, 5, 6, and 7 as part of the strategy... (and mind you, I'm not totally convinced that it was cheating. It could just as well be a combination of psychology and home-field advantage)...