The Maximum Scores in 2016-17 Season | Golden Skate

The Maximum Scores in 2016-17 Season

GF2445

Record Breaker
I have calculated the highest possible score a skater/pair/dance couple can score under IJS using the rules given.

About how i approached it
*I went through all the SP/SD, FS/FD requirements.
*I calculated all elements as Max Level and Maximum GOE
*For Singles, all calculated jumps had the 10% Bonus included for jumps in the second half (There is no more 10% Bonus for Pairs anymore for lifts/throws/twists in the second half)
*For Jump Combinations, I went for combinations which are impossible in real life but are allowed on paper.
*I came in with the mind set that these scores are not humanly possible to achieve, but are achievable on paper.

So here they are:

Mens
SP:77.41+50.00=127.41 [WR: Yuzuru Hanyu: 110.95 (87.08%)]
FS:189.92+100.00=289.92 [WR: Yuzuru Hanyu: 219.48 (75.70%)]
TOTAL: 417.33 [WR: Yuzuru Hanyu: 330.43 (79.18%)]

Womens'
SP:54.49+40.00=94.49 [WR: Mao Asada: 78.66 (83.25%)]
FS:184.31+80.00=264.31 [WR: Evgenia Medvedeva: 150.10 (56.79%)]
TOTAL: 358.80 [WR: Kim Yu-Na: 228.56 (63.70)%]

Pairs
SP:57.10+40.00=97.10 [WR: Volosozhar/Trankov: 84.17 (86.68%)]
FS:145.20+80.00=225.20 [WR: Volosozhar/Trankov: 154.66 (68.68%)]
TOTAL: 322.30 [WR: Volosozhar/Trankov: 237.71 (73.75%)]

Ice Dance ***Easiest to calculate!
SD:45.30+40.00=85.30 [WR: Davis/White: 78.89 (92.49%)]
FD:64.10+60.00=124.10 [WR: Papadakis/Cizeron: 118.17 (95.22%)]
TOTAL: 209.40 [WR: Davis/White: 195.52 (93.37%)]

Nathan13

Medalist
This is very interesting! Thank you for sharing. Its also sort of shocking how close the FD score is to 124, and also the Men's SP :eek:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Womens'
SP:54.49+40.00=94.49 [WR: Mao Asada: 78.66 (83.25%)]
FS:184.31+80.00=264.31 [WR: Evgenia Medvedeva: 150.10 (56.79%)]
TOTAL: 358.80 [WR: Kim Yu-Na: 228.56 (63.70)%]

Why Women TES is lower than Men one? I know their PCS is lower due to coeficient, but on paper as you said they can do quads too, so highest achieviable score for them should be closer, no? Do Ladies have more restrictions on jumps or elements than Men? What makes more than twenty points difference in TES in SP?

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Why Women TES is lower than Men one? I know their PCS is lower due to coeficient, but on paper as you said they can do quads too, so highest achieviable score for them should be closer, no? Do Ladies have more restrictions on jumps or elements than Men? What makes more than twenty points difference in TES in SP?

They have alot more restrictions in the SP. No quads in the SP only up to triple axel.
A women's SP with a 3A, 3Lz/3F+3Lo, 3Lz/3F is the most they are allowed to do according to the rules. Also, the layback or upright spin with no change of foot, while required in their SP, is worth less points.
They are however, not restricted in the free skate. The only difference is that they have one less jumping pass than the men.

Hope that was helpful.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
They have alot more restrictions in the SP. No quads in the SP only up to triple axel.
A women's SP with a 3A, 3Lz/3F+3Lo, 3Lz/3F is the most they are allowed to do according to the rules. Also, the layback or upright spin with no change of foot, while required in their SP, is worth less points.
They are however, not restricted in the free skate. The only difference is that they have one less jumping pass than the men.

Hope that was helpful.

Thanks a lot! :thank: I didn't realized Ladies can't do quads in SP at all. :shocked: That explains everything. Like it's better for a lady to learn 3A than any quad beause they can use it in both SP & FP. I don't know how I've never realized Ladies has one jump pass less in FP... which is totally logical, since they have less time.

Last edited:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker

Hope that was helpful.

Interesting topic. What about a birotational jumper who could for example do a 3A, 3Lz-3Lz, 3F in the SP? This should still be legit and squeeze roughly a point more out of the COP. I assume we are talking about purely mathematical possibilities only, I have no clue what biomechanical problems would come with such a combo.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
We've discussed the possibilities of bidirectional jump combinations several times in the past.

The "biomechanical problems" you mention would make it much too difficult for the vast majority of skaters, who have natural strong rotational preference that becomes more pronounced the more revolutions are involved in a jump.

To my knowledge, such combinations have never ever been done with two triple jumps, or double and triple, or even two doubles (which wouldn't meet the senior SP requirements anyway).

I do think that if the ISU were to build an explicit reward for such combinations into the scale of values, we would start to see skaters starting to experiment with reverse-direction double jumps in their freeskate. Reverse triples would take much longer to develop.

Meanwhile, under the current rules 3Lz+3Lz would only be worth 0.9 more than 3Lz+3Lo, so even if someone could magically master the most difficult reverse triple combination without that skater or the sport of a whole having gone through the process of building up with easier reverse combinations, there would be no benefit to a skater attempting such a difficult feat for so little reward that would probably all be lost to lower GOE.

More likely we'd see a handful of women attempting quads in their freeskates, and then quads being allowed in the short once enough of them have proven it a viable option for women, before even a handful attempting reverse triple combinations. Ability to do triples in both directions is probably just as rare as ability to jump high enough to rotate four times in the good direction.

But who knows. We're probably talking about at least a decade or two before either would be possible, by which time rules might change enough that there won't even be a short program as we now know it.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Interesting topic. What about a birotational jumper who could for example do a 3A, 3Lz-3Lz, 3F in the SP? This should still be legit and squeeze roughly a point more out of the COP. I assume we are talking about purely mathematical possibilities only, I have no clue what biomechanical problems would come with such a combo.

I think they should reward it in some form. Even if only counting it as a different jump. I.e. Let the skaters do 2 normal direction 3Zs... but if they can do a 3Z in the opposite direction... that should not Zayak, but be counted as a different jump. Because really it is different than what was performed.

Satoko started out doing her jumps the opposite way and has been seen practicing some her old way. I'd love to see her go for a 3Lz-3Lz... hell i would be giddy to see a 3Z+2Z actually... which might be worth it for some. A 2Z is worth .8 more than a 2T. That could be useful for some skaters.