The Nordics Open 2024 | Feb 1-4 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Nordics Open 2024 | Feb 1-4

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
According to the result page Janna has WD from the FS :(
She has withdrawn several times this season, total or after SP. Last season she had some bad SPs but continued and skated strong FS. Maybe the reason will be told later.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The final day of the Nordics is all about finishing off the remaining Senior categories. And we start with chaos! :devil: A group of 5 boys.

Livestream for Senior Men's SP is now on air.

Here is the link for the livestream (89 SEK):
https://solidsport.com/skatesweden/watch/nordics-open-2024-sunday

Here is the Time Schedule:
https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24...----------FNL-000100--_StartListwithTimes.pdf

And here is the live scoring:
https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24/71937/html/SEG002.htm

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And now. The end is here. And so we face. The final curtain.

It is the girls that have the honour of bringing the curtain down on the 2024 Nordics. There were supposed to be 12 girls, arranged into two groups of 6. But skater #8 has withdrawn, so there are now 5 girls in Group 2, and 11 altogether.

Livestream for Senior Ladies SP is now on air.

Here is the link for the livestream (89 SEK):
https://solidsport.com/skatesweden/watch/nordics-open-2024-sunday

Here is the Time Schedule:
https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24...----------FNL-000100--_StartListwithTimes.pdf

And here is the live scoring:
https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24/71937/html/SEG004.htm

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Country
Norway
Mia did it again 2 weeks in a row, she slayed her FS scoring 111 points. 62 points in TES šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

She is going to climb for sure, but with how much? She will be the leader for some time since itĀ“s only 5 points separating between her and the bronze.

Country
Norway
That was a thriller, not only did Mia go from 10th place to the podium, but she managed to take the silver overall and won the freeskate with almost 10 points :eek2: Thanks to Josefin lead in the SP she was able to still win despite having mistakes.

And she is the first Norwegian senior women to be on the podium since Anne Line Gjersem in 2015 :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Also great skate from Olivia who stayed on the podium :biggrin:

So nice to have a podium with šŸ‡øšŸ‡ŖšŸ‡³šŸ‡“šŸ‡«šŸ‡®

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Nice job Mia, does she WC SP minimums? I did not buy the stream as our internet has been slow all the morning, now it has started to work.

Emmi has just posted she has had on-off flu during whole January, so that is probably the reason why she WD.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Reason to Janna's Wd is she hurt he tailbone when she felt on the SP'S step sequence and it hurted too much to be able to continue.

Country
Norway
Reason to Janna's Wd is she hurt he tailbone when she felt on the SP'S step sequence and it hurted too much to be able to continue.
Oh dear, that is so unlucky. She did great with the jumps and then this fluke fall at the step sequence, and then she even hurt herself. Hurting your tailbone can give a lot of pain.

Speedy recovery to her!

I just read Olivias IG post that she wasnĀ“t even sure she was going to compete at Nordics because she got a small injury a week ago. A 10 cm tear in her gluteus maximus after a fall. Lucky she was able to compete having some days with lighter training. Apparently this is also her third time she is getting a bronze at Nordics, she jokes about it being a tradition :biggrin:

I hope they Finnish girl can get some rest now.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Well yes, so he got a costume violation.... I wasnĀ“t sure what happen at first. I was watching the skate but I was multitasking, I looked away for a moment and suddenly when I looked back his white shirt was wide open and he was flashing the whole upper body. At first I was confused and thought maybe he had done it on purpose like part of the skate, but it seemed very over the top to show the whole upper body. But it kinda fitted the music. Then in replay it appeared that his shirt was opening up a little and little during the skate, at first it was just the first part, nothing outraging, and then after a jump it was full open. So it seems it was not part of the plan and I was wondering if he would get a deduction.

Either his buttons must be really bad quality or he just stuck his shirt in the trousers without bothering about the buttons. The shirt didnĀ“t look the wrong size, but if he has outgrown it of course it could also be the possible that it was stretching too much during the skate leaving the buttons to open up.

Matias Lindfors was wonderful and skated very clean. He was very happy with his skate and his score. He won the free skate as well. Casper barely beat him overall because of his SP score.
How embarrising for Krestyannikov. But a 3 axel with posive GOE. That's something!

Congrats to Casper, Matias and Hugo.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Men šŸ‡øšŸ‡Ŗ šŸ‡øšŸ‡Ŗ šŸ‡«šŸ‡®
NordebƤck 214.29
Folkesson 191.59
Suntsev 186.63

Women šŸ‡øšŸ‡Ŗ šŸ‡³šŸ‡“ šŸ‡«šŸ‡®
TaljegƄrd 163.50
Risa Gomez 155.03
Lisko 153.97

Junior men šŸ‡øšŸ‡Ŗ šŸ‡«šŸ‡® šŸ‡øšŸ‡Ŗ
Johansson 181.23
Lindfors 181.05
Bostedt 176.22

Junior women, 3 x šŸ‡«šŸ‡®
Artimo 146.20
Trubitson 137.18
Lahti 134.94

Advanced junior boys 2 x šŸ‡«šŸ‡®
Eriksson 97.97
Suutari 71.50

Advanced novice girls 3 x šŸ‡«šŸ‡®
Sinisalo 123.77
MƤnnikko 109.60
Peltola 102.20

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
I'm watching the Icebeat Winter Trophy at the moment, and the Junior Ladies SP finished about an hour ago. And I was surprised to see three Finnish girls competing there. Silja SIVU was 3rd, Unna KUUSINEN was 4th, and Ulla NIEMINEN was 5th after the SP.

Meanwhile at the Bavarian Open, Heidi MOISIO was 3rd in both segments and overall in the second of the two Junior Ladies competitions. And at Advanced Novice level, Annika PELLONMAA was 2nd in both segments and overall in the first of the two competitions, while Jenna OLLANKETO was 13th (9th in SP, 15th in FS) in the second of the two competitions.

I wouldn't have expected any Finnish Singles skaters to be doing other events this week. I was going to ask if these were lower ranked skaters, and if they were competing elsewhere because they weren't in contention for slots at the Nordics. But then I saw who the Senior skaters that are at the Bavarian Open are. And they are certainly not lower ranked skaters!

Is the shine starting to come off the Nordics? Like, the Norwegian Championships were only a few days ago, so there is a lack of skaters from that country here too.

Is the fact that there are no international skaters another indication of this? Or have the Nordics reverted back to just being for skaters from Nordic countries, rather than the open event that it has been in recent years?

To be honest, I prefer the format of it being just the Nordic countries competing against each other. For me, having international skaters meant it lost it's unique selling point. It became just another Senior B.

But, it is worrying if the Nordic countries are not treating it as one of the headline events of the season like they they used to.

CaroLiza_fan
If the Nordics are only for Nordic skaters then the results dont count for ISU rankings where the rule is that competitions need to be open to all skaters from ISU Members. It was a huge step when Nordics was open to all as before Finland and Sweden were directing their top skaters elsewhere where their points would count. It also engourages skaters from other countries to participate. I dont know why they didnt have any this time but usually some skaters from the Baltic countries.

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
Does the WC minimum count if it were not open? Could this be reason why it is wanted to be open to everybody? Some skaters appreciate it a lot and some never bother to go. Oona and Valtter have both won it once and Valtter still spends time in Germany as her wife is German. Oona is looking for SP minimums for worlds, so maybe she thinks it is better chance to get them in Bavarian. Usually when skaters have their first chance to go there they take it. If the name was Nordic championships, it sounds more valuable than just open.

I consider to buy the stream for Saturday and Sunday. Much check what there is on the to-do-list first.
The points would not count if it was closed. ISU has a rule that nothing can be called "championships" so the name was changed to Nordics Open. In the respective Nordic languages they still call it championships though

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If the Nordics are only for Nordic skaters then the results dont count for ISU rankings where the rule is that competitions need to be open to all skaters from ISU Members. It was a huge step when Nordics was open to all as before Finland and Sweden were directing their top skaters elsewhere where their points would count. It also engourages skaters from other countries to participate. I dont know why they didnt have any this time but usually some skaters from the Baltic countries.

Aha. Well, if some of the Feds in the Nordic countries were sending skaters to other events so that they could get ranking points, then I can see why the organisers would open it up.

But, I still think it had more of an air of prestige when it was just the Nordic countries. Just because there are no ranking points doesn't necessarily mean it is less important. Look at snooker. One of the three most prestigious events on the calendar, the London Masters, is an invitational event that has no ranking points. But it is a title that everybody wants to win!

I do think the timing of when the Nordics are held is the main problem. The first few months of the calendar year are always frantic with skaters trying to get minimums for Euros and Worlds, and trying to accumulate points in the World Standings so that they might get considered for GP slots the following season.

If it had stayed as an invitational event but moved to the end of the season, when these things are all settled, then I am sure that all five Feds would have had no hestitation in sending full teams to the Nordics. Have it as an end of season blow-out celebrating skating in the Nordic countries.

But, that is just how I, an outsider from a more southerly rock in the North Atlantic than you, see it.

The points would not count if it was closed. ISU has a rule that nothing can be called "championships" so the name was changed to Nordics Open. In the respective Nordic languages they still call it championships though

"They may take our format, but they will never take our Championships!"

1Jm8Bl.gif

:laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

CaroLiza_fan