The role of the 3 turn in a scratch spin | Golden Skate

The role of the 3 turn in a scratch spin

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
Hi Skaters,

Until recently, I've been learning in group classes with revolving coaches who have different teaching techniques. I finally have a consistent private coach and am very excited about the rate of progression. My coach has different techniques than the previous trainers for group classes and I've spent the first month relearning basics.

It's going well, however there is something I really don't understand about the scratch spin from a FO edge entrance (not backwards entrance). I was previously told there is no 3 turn and the pattern on the ice should look like a half heart before the spin begins. I worked really hard for a year to not have a 3 turn feeling although there is a moment in the spin where it sort of folds over on itself (going from the end of the heart shape into the actual spin) and it kind of felt like a 3 turn. Using that method, I improved very slowly and not to where I would like to be.

The new method I learned is to put a 3 turn somewhere much earlier in the heart shape (it looked like the half way point on the pattern) and spin from what feels like a held BI edge position. I'm not sure I described that properly, but it feels like FO 3 turn followed by holding the BI edge and then I have no idea how to turn that into a spin. So now I'm confused. Are these just 2 methods for learning the scratch spin? I will ask my coach at the next lesson, but I've been thinking about it and I really can't figure it out. It feels completely different and I can't spin any more.

Thank you for your responses!

Vicki7

On the Ice
There is a 3 turn, as any forward spin is technically spinning on a back inside edge. But it's not an obvious 3 turn, like, I don't think "oh I need to 3 turn now" when I do it. It's more of a hook than a 3 turn, once you do it, and bring your arms and free leg in, you should be on your rocker and spinning on the BI edge.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The three turn should take place about three quarters of the way around the circle you make on the forward outside edge into the spin. Hold that edge for a really long time and then a bit longer before you bring your leg round and start the spin.