Thoughts on Men's FS at Russian Nats? | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Men's FS at Russian Nats?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

“It was not ideal, obviously. It was a good working performance,” the 25-year-old said. “Compared to the other Russian Championship titles, this is one of the most meaningful as after a long break it is always hard as well as interesting to come back. All my championships have been very tough and crazily interesting. It gets more and more interesting with each competition.”

What are your thoughts on the men's FS? Overall?

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
- When Kolyada announced he was moving to Mishin, my main reservation was that while Mishin was a superb technical coach, I had never been under the impression that Kolyada's problems were technique-based, so I wasn't sure how much he'd really help. Well, a lot, as it turns out. More Russian skaters who already have the strong skating skills/interpretation should move to Mishin.

- Ignatov held it together mostly. Rukavicin still needs to figure out why his men have no stamina.

- Kondratiuk, I went back and checked, finished eighth and seventh in his Russian Cup events, and yet here he is with the bronze medal. Sure, withdrawals probably helped him there, but all the same, good job, kid. Going into the free I figured you would crack under pressure, which is what usually happens to unknown skaters who unexpected find themselves in medal position after the short program.

- Nice sendoff for Shulepov in what is apparently his last nationals.

- Mozalev seems to have lost his consistency this season, particularly in the short program; in previous events he made mistakes in the short and then managed to grab a medal in the free (mostly), but here the comeback didn't happen.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I felt disappointed, to be honest, that all it took was 4T to win RusNuts... don’t get me wrong, it’s thrilling to see Ignatov get silver too, but, like, he skated how they say Trusova skates.

and, yes, it seems that working on those extra quads is costing Mozalev his stability and ouch, poor guy 💔for him—I hope he didn’t suffer a long-lasting injury and fingers crossed for a better showing in the cup final.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hooray for Mika K! He and Mishin are an awesome pair!

Congratulations to Makar and Mark! Sad that Sasha Samarin didn't have redemption, I like him.

Artem K is a boss in that step sequence, iconic. The pants continue to alarm me :laugh2:

Lastly, I love the Christmas hat you've put on the Golden Skate logo, very jolly!

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Unlike Russian ladies, Kolyada is the only senior man on whom their judges are trying very hard to shower unrealistic & blatant favoritism in competitions. I love his elegant FS, but the final scores are just way too high considering its difficulty and mistakes! Compared to the Japanese panel, I think they are from a completely different planet. :ROFLMAO:

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Misha national champion - what more can I say! I'm just so happy for him!
Really happy for Mark Kondratiuk, the last qualifier, for being able to put together two strong programs and surprise everyone including himself by medaling. Not only have the stability and consistency of his jumps improved a lot but his artistry and expression was also very good!
Really disappointed for Petr, having to skate with a back injury here :( but he fought his best and I'm really proud of him. He's inspiring. Despite scratchy landings, he landed everything except a 3A 👏 and his artistry was not affected by his pain at all. He continued to sell the program and he was underscored in PCS - only 84 whereas Samarin, whose PCS isn't nearly as good as Petr's and he also had a few mistakes, got 89? Ridiculous. But it's not Samarin's fault. Petr's interpretation, transitions and choreo are some of the best.
It was rather a struggle for all of the poor guys. Ilya Yablokov (new free program, nice costume but I like his Notre Dame De Paris a lot more) landed a gorgeous 4T+3T which I was really surprised about - his 4T has improved a lot! - but then he fell on both his triple axels which was surprising because he always lands them :( and then poor Evgeniy Semenenko - the nerves must've got to him because he scored 196 a couple of weeks ago and must have really wanted to skate that well here. But he's young and has lots ahead of him.
And super proud of my boi Egor, the youngest in the competition, for coping with two really difficult layouts (he was one of only 3 men who did a 3-quad free skate, and one of two who landed 3 quads (well with a minor step out and an under but no fall). He tried 4S+3T and 4T+1Eu+3S for the first time in competition and landed them both! Definitely a lot to work on in terms of spin and step sequence levels, and getting higher GOEs on his jumps and higher PCS, but he is definitely capable of improving in those areas. He's got all the potential to become a top Russian man in the future

AlimaAsh

On the Ice
The surprise of the event was Mark Kondratiuk and his unforeseen bronze medal. As someone else said, I also thought that he would not be able to keep up with the pressure and would fall down the ranks. But with sheer determination and spirit he really forced his way to the final podium! That truly impressed me. I don’t remember seeing a skater who is not known at all be able to hold on to a medal at a big competition. I hope this start will give him confidence to skate well and more consistently from now on.

Makar seems like a determined, self aware guy from the interviews I’ve seen. I am very happy that he was able to medal here after the disappointment of the last nationals. He said himself that he felt a déjà-vu of the last championships going in as the last performer here. I am impressed with his determination to hold on to the podium finish. He had to fight for those jumps, and he did.

Mikhail Kolyada has grown to be one of my favourite skaters from the first time I saw him. I am glad there is a change in the way he approaches competitions. It brings me to joy to see him compete time and time again, in a way he couldn’t have before. Thank you Team Mishin and Misha!

Very happy for Anton Shulepov as well for having such a stellar performance. That probably is the most wonderful end to a competitive career, if that is indeed the case for him.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Honestly, Kolyada was perfect (despite a couple minor mistakes). I loved watching him so much.

I'm not dissapointed about quad toes. Especially when they are done so perfectly. I'd much rather watch an enjoyable program which encaptivates me than watch a boring four quad program.

Honestly, when I grew up quads were special. They were events in a program. 2 quads in one program were rare. Now I find quads utterly boring, as there are so many people jumping so many quads. I don't get excited for them. I expect them.

But I get excited when Kolyada lands them. I don't know why, but it's just this beautiful complete feeling to watch this most amazing skater complete a quad toeloop so effortlessly.

Kolyada could skate to any music (even no music) and I'd still enjoy watching him. But this program music with him is just breathtaking. It's a journey, and when he finishes it I think "that was short" because it feels like way shorter than 4minutes.

Bravo Kolyada, bravo.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
The Pineapple King continues a stellar comeback by reclaiming his crown :hb:

And techno Rothbart with my favourite Swan Lake costume stands on the podium! Colour me impressed. For those new to Mark, did you know he also paints and has held a solo exhibition of his artwork?

With regards to the overall event, I am sad for all the guys who either couldn't make it or weren't at their best due to illness, injury, general disruption or some other unknown cause. Aliev, Samarin, Danielian, Gumennik... Semenenko... Mozalev :cry: I hope they have opportunities for redemption later in the spring (Russian Cup final, Junior Nationals...).

FelineFairy

On the Ice
Kolyada is really from another league when compared with the younger Russian skaters. Yes, AT THE MOMENT his jumping content doesn't match his potential. The other elements are fabulous, however. And I can't understand how one can say his score for those elements is inflated, ridiculous, whatever. How much better can you imagine spins and steps? The PCS, too. He is an innate artist, dancer, performer, always in the image, all movements on musical accents, all body parts and facial expressions beautifully showing the story. Not to mention the fantastic FS, even the SP (which is not such a masterpiece) is performed in the same immaculate music-rendering way. That lopsided smile on his face when he starts, 100% image. For PE and IN I would not hesitate with tens.
And I do hope that Mishin's guiding hand can slowly lead him back to more quads without ruining his confidence and artistry. It can't happen quickly, what with all the previous years experience of expectations-pressure-falls-more pressure-vicious circle. And sinusitis on top. His previous coach gave him all she could and brought him to that level, but she couldn't oppose the pressure.
In the same way as it will take time for Misha to (re)gain quads, it will also take time for Andrei and Petya to accomplish their skills. Petya somehow gives me more confidence, as he and his coach seem to avoid rushing. And his artistic skills are very good, I hope he can move to that other league. Andrei with his fantastic technical progress and interesting interpretation could become an outstanding athlete, I just hope the bad luck he has had so far is not connected with any pressure, expectations etc.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mozalev had the most interesting program, aside from Kolaya. It's too bad about the mistakes and how sad he was. Hopefully someone can cheer him up. He's cute, there must be offers. Silver medalist Ignatov is the cutest of them all though, yes this is very important commentary. The competition to get on the Olympic team will be fierce. Hopefully the Russian Men get 3 spots, they deserve it. Kolyada, Aliev, and Ignatov would be my picks right now, but a lot can change in the next year.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I can watch Kolyada's Nureyev programme again and again. It's so beautiful. It's moving. And I don't think anyone else could pull it off...it flies by (I'm surprised every time it ends, because I could watch more of it), and Kolyada manages to keep that up even when there are mistakes. I enjoyed the Russian Championships just for that programme. Also, I was pleased Ignatov managed to hold on to 2nd place. While surprises among the Russian men are to be expected, it's always great to see someone deliver whom I didn't even know! Poor Gumennik though. That hurt (literally, I understand he was in a lot of pain)...