Time for Tuktamysheva and Gachinski to change coaches and country? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Time for Tuktamysheva and Gachinski to change coaches and country?

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
.......Tuk particularly was not blessed with the right figure skating body and has weight issues.
How soon one forgets that two seasons ago, "Tuk" had a huge success in Seniors. She was the rising international star of the season. She was younger & reed thin. Today, she hardly looks like the same lady with her maturity & resultant weight-gain. She has the talent. Here's hoping she can win the fitness battle and become competitive at the highest level again.

bump

Match Penalty
I think Elizaveta needs to realize she doesn't really stand a chance against her younger competition. It's too bad, since she's so young...it's just that there are more talented younger skaters (by a few years) who are just plain better and more consistent. Liza has nice spunk, but she obviously doesn't have the mental fortitude to deliver consistently. Some skaters have it, some don't.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I think Elizaveta needs to realize she doesn't really stand a chance against her younger competition. It's too bad, since she's so young...it's just that there are more talented younger skaters (by a few years) who are just plain better and more consistent. Liza has nice spunk, but she obviously doesn't have the mental fortitude to deliver consistently. Some skaters have it, some don't.

Wow. . . she's 16/17 and adjusting to a teen body and so she should just give up? Wow. That's pretty sad. She's still new at this, there's no need to declare her over just yet.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh come on, she's young enough to have shoot at even 2022. 2014 won't be the last Olympics! ;) And while russia has dozens of talented young girls these days, I don't think any of them match Liza's jumping technique.
And I'd still say Adelina and Liza did okay for they're first worlds. It was a really strong event compared to 2011 and 2012, and it was their debut. It was a shame it had to be the pre-olympic worlds, because the russian girls might get 3 spots back this year already.

Yes, Liza is young enough to compete at the next couple of Olympics.

BUT the problem is that there are also a lot of good younger skaters coming behind her. Pogorilaya, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Sakhanovitch...

And the trend in Russia in recent years is that as soon as a good young skater gets old enough, they are immediately put in the team.

Sometimes it is the right decision to do this because the skaters are ready, as with Adelina and Liza last year. But sometimes it is the wrong decision because the skaters are not ready, as we saw with Kovtun last year (but he is more than ready this year!)

Getting back to Adelina and Liza. If we are judging them like normal debutants, then yes, they did do well at Worlds (Adelina 9th, Liza 10th).

But, when you take into consideration what they did last season:

GP Series (Adelina 3rd and 5th, Liza 2nd and 4th),
Nationals (Adelina 3rd, Liza 1st)
Europeans (Adelina 2nd, Liza 3rd)

...as well as what they did in the GP series the previous year (Adelina 2 thirds, Liza 2 wins and 4th in GPF) and Juniors the few years before that, then I think we were expecting them to be higher.

Personally, I was expecting them to finish top 6, and be involved in a tight battle for 5th. But, maybe that was just me being biased because I really like both of them!

But, getting back to this year, and I fully agree that Russia WILL get the 3 slots back in the Ladies for Worlds next season. It is just unfortunate timing that the Olympics are this year.

I know we are getting far off topic at the moment, but I am actually working this around to get back on topic.

Is it possible for Russia to get the 3 slots back in the Men's with only having 1 competitor in Worlds this season? Or, will it have to take a couple of years?

If they do get the 3 Men's slots back, and if one or 2 of the older guys retire (although I don't want to say it because I really like them, probably Plushy and Menshov), then Gachinsky might get back in the team.

But, he would really needs to get his act together after a few too many lacklustre seasons. I don't know if the problem is the way he is being coached, or if it is a confidence thing, but something needs to change.

My thoughts are that Artur should try a different coach for a season. If it works out for him, then great. If it doesn't, then maybe try another, or go back to Mishin. The problem is that I don't know enough about Mishin to know if he would be willing to do take back somebody that has previously left him.

However, there is one more option, but it's only open to Liza:

Marry me, and get British citizenship! :biggrin:

Then, when Jenna retires, you would be guaranteed the spot, as you would be in a totally different league to all the opposition!!!

And, if the British Federation is mad enough to turn you down, then you can try the Irish Federation (one of the perks of being from Northern Ireland is that I have dual nationality!)

Problem solved!

I think Liza is actually heads and tails above Jenna right now who really seems a bit "worn" and tired looking. Talk about regression Jenna has been going no where for a while now.

Ah, but, Jenna is from 40 miles up the road from me, and so I don't want her to lose her spot on the British team! ;) :biggrin: That is why I said "when she retires".

Similarly, the reason that I did not suggest using my Irish passport is that I don't want Clara Peters to lose her spot because, at 22, I believe she is still young enough to improve.

Hey, it took Jenna until she was 25 to win her first international competition, and this was quickly followed by another! :biggrin: Who is to say that Clara won't do the same...

Don't underestimate the Irish - whichever side of the border we may be from!!!

CaroLiza_fan

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
I agree that both should change coaches. Considering Gachinski was 3rd at worlds in 2011 and Elizaveta won a few GP titles a few years ago, both have never produced good or consistent results. Also someone needs to make sure Liza looses a few pounds before she becomes the new rachael flatt.

Elizaveta should probably go to someone like Tarasova as she doesnt really have a female student atm.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
However, there is one more option, but it's only open to Liza:

Marry me, and get British citizenship! :biggrin:

Then, when Jenna retires, you would be guaranteed the spot, as you would be in a totally different league to all the opposition!!!

CaroLiza_fan

I have a serious question.
Carolina or Liza?! Or Akiko? Can you really choose!!!?

(Can Liza survive a British/Irish diet? I do think for the past few seasons she really need a better choreographer)

lcd

Match Penalty
It's kind of bewildering that this question gets posed with seriousness when these athletes are still so young. On top of that, the whole "just switch countries" option is equally jarring.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CaroLiza_fan said:
BUT the problem is that there are also a lot of good younger skaters coming behind her. Pogorilaya, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Sakhanovitch...

And the trend in Russia in recent years is that as soon as a good young skater gets old enough, they are immediately put in the team.

But I'd think the reason for that is that they didn't have the experienced, good enough older skater to keep the younger ones off the team (not for the ladies at least). Even if she has trouble this season, Liza can always come fighting back and beat the younger ones, who might meet trouble with puberty themselves. I mean, two seasons ago, she was the younger, talented skater coming up behind the other ones...
And for Adelina and Liza at worlds: maybe they were exhausted from the rest of the season too. With a strong ladies field in russia, they must have felt immense pressure right from the start of the season. And there are what feels like dozens of russian events throughout the season, test skates and all of that. I couldn't blame them if they just weren't at 100% the time worlds came around anymore.

LRK

Record Breaker
@CaroLizafan - Hey, don't worry about Jenna! After all, by the time Liza gets her British nationality in 3 years, Jenna will probably have retired anyway, so there's no reason not to press ahead with your matrimonial plans! ;)