TIME Magazine Favors Meissner | Golden Skate

TIME Magazine Favors Meissner

Just got my TIME magazine today and while all three members of the ladies Oly team are discussed in the article, it's clear that TIME is favoring Kimmie to win if not the OGM, then the top medal of the US ladies. (What are the men and other disciplines? Chopped liver? Just kidding. I know, the ladies are what sell magazines.)

A lot of the article concerns the COP, going into the big '02 pairs scandal and presenting a very simple explanation of how the NJS works. However, this time there's no skater on the cover (the cover story is Mexican immigration "Inside America's Secret Workforce"; really, where are TIME's values:laugh: ); no single US lady leaping high over the landscape of Torino the way Sarah Hughes was shown doing so over Salt Lake's Wasatch Mountains. However, there's a BIG photo of Kimmie on the title page of the story, which, under the circumstances is as good as TIME saying, "Ladies and gentlemen, here's our winnah!"

OTOH, although it's clear that TIME is throwing its hat in with Kimmie as the best bet for a US OGM or other medal, there's not a whole editorial dedicated towards analyzing why she will win, as there was with Sarah. Kimmie's assets are more or less woven throughout the story, which also includes Sasha and Michelle. In terms of coverage, Sasha gets the next most, with probably the most number of quotes. As a preface to TIME's coverage of Michelle, let me say I realize I'm biased and that TIME not only covers what's hot in sports, it also editorializes on it. So the photo of Michelle is basically "forlorn Michelle, too late and injured to really dance at the ball." There are also no quotes from Michelle.

The "blah" coverage of Michelle could be because NEWSWEEK may be planning a big schmoozefest on Kwan; but I don't know. I haven't seen NEWSWEEK yet.

The article, by Alice Park, entitled "The Ice Storm" (a little originality, puh-lease), starts out with a description of the house Sasha Cohen purchased (doesn't say when). It describes the view of the ocean from one side and view of the mountains from the other side. What could be more beautiful? Parks basically says, but then goes onto say that when the rains came Cohen discovered the foundation of her house was weak and was in danger of sliding away. (It didn't.)

For the average reader, which is TIME's audience, I thought it was a good metaphor; but I could just see skating fans, whether they like or dislike Sasha rolling their eyes. However, later in the story Park discusses and quotes Cohen about her two-year quest for the Holy Grail of figure skating coaches: "If the sojourn to the East had taught Cohen anything, it was that only she could make herself a winner. 'I was always looking for a coach to make me a champion,' [Cohen] said. 'But ultimately you have to make it happen.'"

Park then goes on to very generally discuss the changes in Cohen's physical and mental training. So, just a couple of days after Idiot Rgirl posts a quote from an interview Nancy Kerrigan did with Sasha either in the fall of 2002 or early in 2003, in which Sasha said she had done double runthroughs before and her consistency didn't improve (I'm a great believer in double runthroughs despite what anybody says), Parks reports Sasha as saying, "I used to do my long program once and my legs were wiped, but now I practice it over and over." Good for Sasha. It only took her almost four years to take Nancy's advice. :laugh:

Kimmie's 3Axel is discussed several times, with Park saying, "[The COP] benefits skaters like Meissner who have the big tricks but are more analytical and calculating enough to maximize their point totals with the minimum amount of big tricks." Later Park goes on to say, "COP draws a line between the intuitive skaters of yesterday and the more technical, all-around stars of tomorrow." She also makes the point that the COP is all Meissner has ever known since she debuted at the senior level last year. Park also says about Meissner, "She flung herself into Olympic contention with that tricky triple Axel and has thrived under the COP ever since, reaping rewards by filling her programs with difficult moves from beginning to end."

Now, I like Meissner quite a bit, especially after I saw her skate live with COI. I think she has strong basics; her long arms and legs, which I think she uses beautifully given Meissner-friendly choreography; and she has a natural authority on the ice, which obviously some see and some don't (ran into a friend at COI who didn't see if--hey NYMKFAN!). But correct me if I'm wrong, even liking Kimmie's skating I can't say she has "thrived" under the COP system except at US Nationals '05 and '06, which I think had as much to do with skating cleanly, this year only a clean LP as anything. Am I mistaken or didn't Meissner skate in the GPS both last season and this one and again, not exactly "thrive"? I'm not trying to diss Kimmie. I'd much rather diss the reporter.:biggrin: Seriously, how has Meissner done on the GPS?

I'm also not saying Meissner might not do well internationally as she matures, but when TIME predicted Sarah Hughes as "da winnah." Sarah had made the GPF at least once, IIRC, and if I'm wrong about that, she had a World bronze medal and consistency almost as solid as Michelle's, if not as solid. Plus she had been skating at the senior level longer than Kimmie, even though they were/will be both 16 at their respective Olympics. Late in the article Parks notes how the last two OGM's were upsets won by teenagers. Even though Oksana Baiul was the World Champion going into the '94 Olympics, one could argue that she was an upset, ie, assuming Nancy's '93 Worlds meltdown being out of character and also the thing that prompted her to revamp her whole training and mental approach to skating. Anyway, Oksana was certainly a teenager. Maybe TIME is playing the odds.

The most biased reporting, IMO, is about Michelle. Park says that she gained all her success under the 6.0 system. "At her first competition without the 6.0s," says Park, "she came in fourth, the first time she failed to medal at an event in a decade." While accurate, the way this section is worded makes it sound as if the only way Michelle can win or medal is under the 6.0 system. Unfortunately, because of her injuries, we haven't seen clear evidence to the contrary. But, again, I may be wrong, but didn't Michelle win the free skate at '05 Worlds, which was COP? True, she finished fourth, primarily because she skated a bad Q round, but IMO a good reporter would have noted that she won the '05 Worlds FS under the COP--unless I'm thinking of '04, which was 6.0.

In lieu of any quotes from Michelle, Park gets quotes from Peggy Fleming, that bastion of understatement, to continue driving nails into Michelle's coffin--as if the photo isn't enough. When Park notes that Michelle will be making her season debut on Olympic ice, she quotes Peggy Fleming saying, "I would be terrified." And later, "I'm extremely scared for [Michelle]."

And that's pretty much all she wrote about Michelle. Come on. I know we haven't seen her skate since last March, but she's a nine-time National and five-time World champion. Show a little respect. At least give Michelle two paragraphs.

There is one great sentence, or at least I think it is, at least aesthetically: "...like medal contenders Irina Slutskaya and a gaggle of Japanese women--all of whom have wrestled the COP into submission." I just love the mental picture I get of Sweet Shizza, Elegant Ando, Lovely Suguri, Giggling Asada and Smiling Irina with a big stuffed representative of the COP, which, why heck, looks just like Cinquata, and the "gaggle" of them pounding the cr*p out of him--I mean it. Well, I laughed.

So that's an overview of these Olympics TIME article on ladies figure skating.:party:

Rgirl

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Whereas Sarah wasn't a complete shock because she did have World and Grand Prix wins and medals, but Kim? I don't know.........it's not good to flaunt predictions........The "Skate Gods" might be watching......:bow: ......:yes: 42

R.D.

Record Breaker
thanks for the lengthy breakdown of the article.

Time is definitely favoring the young one each time.

I want to see what the other papers are featuring as well.

millie

Medalist
Just watch and see!! All the different magazines and papers will all have their own different spin on the skaters and who they think will win. But in the end their opinion doesn't matter. They can all spectulate and predict who they think will win, but in the end what it all boils down to how well the skaters are prepared and if they are spot on in those few minutes they are on the ice. Everyone can spectulate or predict who they think will win but someone that's least expected to win, will probably sneak in and take it all.

Red Dog said:
thanks for the lengthy breakdown of the article.

Time is definitely favoring the young one each time.

I want to see what the other papers are featuring as well.
Thanks, RD. You know how I love writing long synopses. :biggrin:

I'm curious to see what NEWSWEEK does to fire back. Last time they had a photo of Michelle on the cover lifting a barbell, looking like she was roaring, with the cover title: "Michelle Kwan Kicks Ice!" Don't think they'll go that way this time, on any skater.

Then there's PEOPLE, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, US, and the 9,000,000,000 other celebrity rags. Maybe INTERVIEW and/or ROLLING STONE will do an interview with one of the US team. Now THAT I'd really go to town on with a lengthy synopsis.

Somehow I think US NEWS & WORLD REPORT will blow this off. :bow:

Rgirl

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
You forgot Sports Illustrated...and they have a creepy track record of dooming athletes they put on the cover to failure. I'm not superstitous, but it's really weird.

millie said:
Just watch and see!! All the different magazines and papers will all have their own different spin on the skaters and who they think will win. But in the end their opinion doesn't matter. They can all spectulate and predict who they think will win, but in the end what it all boils down to how well the skaters are prepared and if they are spot on in those few minutes they are on the ice. Everyone can spectulate or predict who they think will win but someone that's least expected to win, will probably sneak in and take it all.
ITA, Millie. Since Euros, Sokolova's been scaring the heck outta me.

Rgirl

R.D.

Record Breaker
in fact, there could be several doomsday scenarios for the U.S. ladies. In the end, however, I think at least one of them will be on the podium somewhere.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I haven't read the article, but TIME sounds stupid if they are betting on Kimmie, who could not even win a medal on the GP circuit, over Sasha, the reigning National Champion and 2-time World Silver Medalist and Michelle, 9-time National Champ and 5-time World Champ. I think Meissner has potential also, but I see her more as a force for 2010. As big of an upset as Sarah was, she did go into Salt Lake as the reigning World Bronze Medalist, like you said. Oksana and Tara went into the Games as reigning World Champions. Kimmie has never even COMPETED at Worlds. That's the difference.

Sounds like TIME is just trying to hype up around the newcomer. They did the same to Kwan when she burst on the scene in the mid 90s and Sasha in 2000-02.

Red Dog said:
You forgot Sports Illustrated...and they have a creepy track record of dooming athletes they put on the cover to failure. I'm not superstitous, but it's really weird.
How could I forget SI?! Probably because I grew up when athletes were either athletes or great athletes. Okay, Peggy Fleming was a pretty lady who got to have TV specials and skate with Bob Hope. But even by Dorothy Hamill, less than 10 years after Peggy, she was pure celebrity as soon as she turned pro, which was right after she won her OGM, which was the custom and necessity in those days, at least for US skaters.

Hey, maybe SI will even report on skaters besides the ladies and even skaters from other countries! At least the COP gives magazines like SI something serious to report on. Though I think there are a lot of serious things to report on in figure skating, such as the way the whole sport is changing in every discipline and not just because of the COP; the whole way the Japanese Federation went about funding its young athletes with potential about 10 years ago and how now it seems to be paying off; nationality and the Olympics in team disciplines in "global" athleticism"; Irina Slutskaya as an athlete with a chronic illness--to name just a few off the top of my head.

But I think it will be all COP and predictions.

Rgirl

lulu

Final Flight
Wasn't TIME the same zine that put Sarah Hughes on the cover before the Olympics?

Ogre Mage said:
,,,Sounds like TIME is just trying to hype up around the newcomer. They did the same to Kwan when she burst on the scene in the mid 90s and Sasha in 2000-02.
I remember the Kwan hype Kwan did but I'd forgotten--or never saw--the one TIME did on Sasha.

It used to be, "If it bleeds, it leads." (Or "ledes" for you journalism majors.:biggrin: ) Now we need a little rhyme like, "If you're the comer, you get the cover."

Now come on. Lots of people can think of something better than my lamo. :laugh:

Rgirl

emma

Record Breaker
Rgirl...love your synopsis....Ice Storm is just too funny for words. I love Michelle and think she is one of the best competitors ever, but has anyone sucessfully debued at the Olympics (and seriously, I would like to know)??...I mean, I think there is a lot of possibility here, but it's hard to imagine that this competition is anything but extremely up hill for Michelle, IMO, as far as gold, or for that matter, any medal goes. Now, I'll love every minute of that battle....

Meissner has a ton of courage, presence and some pretty good basic skating including an impressive jump arsenal. I simply wouldn't count her, or Sasha (love the new version of the LP), or the three Japanese, or Carolina, or Irina out....and then there's Rochette and Sokalova and a few others that are totally podium worthy given the right mix of their perforance and that of others...I'm basically on pins and needles.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Just curious. What does the picture of Kimmie on the cover of the story (not the magazine) look like?

nicole_l

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
Just got my TIME magazine today and while all three members of the ladies Oly team are discussed in the article, it's clear that TIME is favoring Kimmie to win if not the OGM, then the top medal of the US ladies.
Rgirl
LOL. She's lucky if she makes the top 10 IMO.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks, rgirl, for the summary of article.

TIME betted wrong dog this time. They should've bet on Sasha this time.

I agree what you said with Kimmie. (saw her in COI too, where she had improved so much compare her showing at 2005 naitonals). Kimmie may have the axel, but she still have quite a few elements are level 2. And she is not able to pull up a level 4 spiral like Sasha and/or Michelle. Not to mention footwork....and all in all the PCS score will hold hew down and rightly so. Don't get me wrong, I think Kimmie has the mental toughness and jumps, give another year to develop her presetation skills, she and Katy will be USFSA's bread maker.

When Park notes that Michelle will be making her season debut on Olympic ice, she quotes Peggy Fleming saying, "I would be terrified." And later, "I'm extremely scared for [Michelle]."
Who wouldn't? Never heard anyone debut on Olympic ice, anyone? But what could her do? That's not her plan, the injuries kept her off ice. She could only do what is the best for herself at the situation.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

bronxgirl

Medalist
I'd be much more impressed with any of these magazine and sportswriter predictions if any of them had accurately predicted who would have been in this year's World Series or Super Bowl. If they can't guess the correct teams from sports in fields they alledgedly have expertise in, how can anyone trust whose name they pick out of a hat on a sport they clearly know so little about