Timothy Goebel Withdraws from Marshalls | Golden Skate

Timothy Goebel Withdraws from Marshalls

S

SkateFan4Life

Ugh, Timothy Goebel is injured AGAIN and has had to withdraw from yet another competition. Here's hoping he makes a full recovery and is back in fighting form for the 2005 US Nationals.

It seems that this guy has had more than his share of injuries. This past season was a disaster for Tim at the Nationals - a terrible performance, due to injury, in the short program that led to his withdrawal from the competition.

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=27978

Vash01

Medalist
Poor Tim! I feel terrible for him. He was just starting to feel comfortable skating, and now this! I hope he can make it to the nationals, but that seems iffy now.

Vash

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Here's hoping he makes a full recovery and is back in fighting form for the 2005 US Nationals.

Oh I hope so too... I will be very sad if I don't get to see him kick butt in Portland! :cry:

Eeyora

Final Flight
Boy back injuries are certainly common this year. I hope he is okay for Nationals.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
That's too bad. He seemed to be getting his "sea legs" back in the NHK. I wonder what happened? Maybe he is rushing his training.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I did not read the article, but didn´t he also withdrew from a GP event? The French one?

Very sad, I wonder what happens with his skating career? If there are injuries again and again, it is not a good sign for future and the coming Olympics.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Back Injuries

Some of the ladies connect their back injuries to the layback spin. For a guy like Tim, though, I'd guess - wild guess - that he has been working on his posture. Unfortunately, after slumping for so long, improvements will be slow and painful.
Linny

Tim is really hurting. I don't believe it is a back injury as much as I believe it is a misalignment of his spinal chord.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Poor Tim....

I worry about all the skaters with back problems. I know so many people with back problems that can be "managed" but never really fixed. That's tough in such a physically demading sport, and also a sport where hitting the ice hard is a regular part of the game.

I hope he's OK in times for nats and worlds.

DG

mpal2

Final Flight
Misalignment of the spinal chord can be stubborn. I'm trying to get my neck straightened out thanks to a car accident a few years ago. I was doing fine for a while then one day it just went completely out of whack again. I've been struggling to get back to the point I was at for about a month now. My chiropractor said that can happen when you've been misaligned for years and then have only been getting aligned for months. It takes time. I probably should have taken care of this sooner but it can get expensive.

Tim is also putting his body through a beating by training again. I hope he is ok for Nationals and Worlds. Those events are much more important than Marshall's. Maybe not financially but definitely long-term career wise. Good luck Tim.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Tim is really hurting. I don't believe it is a back injury as much as I believe it is a misalignment of his spinal chord.

Joe

Ouch...that's not good :eek:

What element would cause or lead to this kind of injury?

This is only the third season that I have followed this discipline/sport, so someone in the know: Are back injuries common? Or is this the beginning of a disturbing trend in which we are seeing a lot more back injuries than usual? And what can be done about this?

Vash01

Medalist
I am guessing that landing triple and quad jumps would be pretty hard on the back. That would make it very hard for him to train. Poor Tim! I was so hoping to see a strong comeback from him!

Vash

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:

Joe

That might mean the end of his skating career. Look at what happened to Tara Lipinski - all those years of pounding out triples destroyed her hip, and she will never be the skater she was in 1998. In Timothy's case, all those years of pounding out the quads may have done irrepairable damage to his body. If his spinal cord is misaligned, then he, indeed, must be in a great deal of pain.
He has had such poor posture, however, with so much slumping, that perhaps that has contributed to his recent injury.

Whatever the case, I wish Timothy the best, and if possible, a full recovery.