Top 25 Olympic Moments | Golden Skate

Top 25 Olympic Moments

sillylionlove

Medalist
I know that someone mentioned this in the LeCafe. However, there are a number of skating moments that are listed in the Top 25 Olympic Moments that was compiled by USA today.

Here are the moments that are listed for figure skating. A link below will take you to the actual site.

5 Tonya vs. Nancy drama
Nancy Kerrigan rebounded from the knee whacking heard 'round the world to win the 1994 Olympic silver. Tonya Harding, whose ex-husband masterminded the attack, stopped her long program to cry about a boot lace.

12 Torvill and Dean heat up ice
Britain's Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean earned 6.0s in 12 of their 18 marks for their free-dance interpretation of "Bolero" in 1984. They received unanimous perfect scores for artistic impression and were the first non-Soviet or Russians to win ice dancing gold.

15 Hughes in a stunner
In fourth after the short program at the 2002 Olympics, 16-year-old Sarah Hughes upset favorites Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya with a technically superior long program.

19 Judges caught in skating scandal
Canadian pairs skaters Jamie Sale and David Pelletier, who finished second to Russians Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze in the 2002 final, were awarded a second set of gold medals after allegations of corrupt judging arose. The scandal led to the end of the 6.0 scoring system.

It appears that only track and field is represented more on this list!!

Top25.USATODAY.com.

Sonia Henie's Third Olympic Win!!!

Dick Button's Second Olympc Win!!

Just mentioning the above so that our young posters know that there is a history to figure skating.

Joe

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Theresa Blanchard's salchow jump in the ladies, which was thought to be unladylike. If only those judges had met Miki Ando!

Fred Goss

Rinkside
Since the listing specified
"in the last 25 years" I guess
everything discussed above in
the previous posts is off point.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Since the listing specified
"in the last 25 years" I guess
everything discussed above in
the previous posts is off point.

You're right--but Joe insisted on bringing up the pioneers.

USA Today only seemed interested in the scandalous moments of the Olympics, which is rather sad. My list would include (all IMO, of course--don't take it as fact LOL):

Katarina's comeback--sure she didn't get a medal or skate with the difficulty of the other ladies, but that program is enough to make a grown man cry.

Paul Wylie and Liz Manley's silver medals--as Paul said it, silver was golden to him.

Chen Lu's second bronze. When she found out, it was almost as if she had won a second GOLD medal.

Gordeeva and Grinkov's 2nd gold medal

Of course my Asian pride has to come in with the first time an Asian woman won gold (Yamaguchi) and the first time a Japanese (from Japan) won-- Arakawa.

Then there was the best night the ladies had ever skated (Nagano).

Out of all the moments, this one is my favourite:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8QZ-zj0_yw8

Just the fact that they finished--or when they threw in that jump (right around - 3:29) after it looked like they were going to give up gives me goosebumps. To me, that's what the Olympics are all about--not the golds.

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
I'd add the battle of the Brians in Calgary. That was spectacular.

I really don't think I'd put the double-gold from '02 in there. I realize they're focusing on the righting of a wrong, but it still draws attention to a terrible scandal.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Out of all the moments, this one is my favourite:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8QZ-zj0_yw8

Just the fact that they finished--or when they threw in that jump (right around - 3:29) after it looked like they were going to give up gives me goosebumps. To me, that's what the Olympics are all about--not the golds.

I've just watched that youtube clip and it is amazing - up until the point they looked like they were going to give up, it was painful to watch, nothing (except the first throw) was really coming off and then they almost gave up and it seemed like they pulled energy and stregnth from absolutely nowhere. I wonder if nerves stopped them from really going all out until they hit rock bottom?

Ant

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
To me, one of the greatest moments is when Marinin got down on his knee to thank Totmianina for everything at the end of their FS in Torino.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
To me, one of the greatest moments is when Marinin got down on his knee to thank Totmianina for everything at the end of their FS in Torino.

how sweet!!!

Tara's win has to be up there.

emma

Record Breaker
I can't really pick a top moment...but lot's of really nice memories....I think Tara's screech and just unbridled enthusiasm was utterly adorable (and I was simply to partial too Michelle for words, yet still loved that jubulance sp??).

I too loved Marinin on his knee; also Alexi when he ackowledged Tarasov. I also liked when Sarah Hughes finished her lp and had that 'OMG' look on her face and was skating to the boards and Robin turned her around and said something that looked like: look and see what you've done (as the crowd roared and were on their feet)...I just thought that was very sweet. Lu Chen in 98' still brings a huge smile to my face as well....on and the list goes on.

blue dog

Record Breaker
I also liked when Sarah Hughes finished her lp and had that 'OMG' look on her face and was skating to the boards and Robin turned her around and said something that looked like: look and see what you've done (as the crowd roared and were on their feet)...I just thought that was very sweet. Lu Chen in 98' still brings a huge smile to my face as well....on and the list goes on.

That's one of the reasons why I respect Robin Wagner--she did the same thing to Silvia Fontana after her FS in Torino. Silvia wasn't skating for a medal, but after she finished her FS in front of her home crowd, she looked like she had won ten gold medals!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
That's one of the reasons why I respect Robin Wagner--she did the same thing to Silvia Fontana after her FS in Torino. Silvia wasn't skating for a medal, but after she finished her FS in front of her home crowd, she looked like she had won ten gold medals!

Robin's student's were lucky to have that magic about thier performnaces. As i remeber, Syliva's program wasn't perfect, but i guess Robin makes them belive that whatever effort they put out is somthing to be proud of... and she's right. skating at the olympic games is a far-off dream for most.

dutchherder

Final Flight
In the "sometimes it's not all about winning" category:

Michelle's skate to "Fields of Gold" in the exhibition.

Dan Jansen (speed skater) getting back up to race after falling again and again after the death of his sister.

Eddie the Eagle (ski jumper) whose ability was so laughable to some that they gave him his nickname-- but he competed anyway!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Another non- winning moment was Evan's freeskate in 2006. coming back like that meant so much to him and i think the US was so proud when he finished!:rock:

blue dog

Record Breaker
I've just watched that youtube clip and it is amazing - up until the point they looked like they were going to give up, it was painful to watch, nothing (except the first throw) was really coming off and then they almost gave up and it seemed like they pulled energy and stregnth from absolutely nowhere. I wonder if nerves stopped them from really going all out until they hit rock bottom?

Ant

I am with you--I think they were playing it safe because of her illness (she had the flu--caught it in the Olympic village, along with Tanja Szewczenko and Elvis Stojko), but when it seemed like things were falling apart, they just said, "to h*ll with it!" and skated the best minute I have ever seen them skate. I love that the music just kept building towards the end, too. I still get teary-eyed, when the melody starts to swell towards the end of their program.