Transportation Question | Golden Skate

Transportation Question

Tigger

Final Flight
I'm legally blind/visually impaired and will have to take the Transit/Bus out to Scotiabank Place and back to where I'm staying. Can those Golden Skate MBer's in Ottawa tell me how easy or difficult it is? I've been hearing conflicting reports.

Thanks!!

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Hey Tigger,

I have no idea. Public transit in Ottawa isn't all that great. There is a major bus transit way called Terry Fox Transit way on Queensway before you get to Kanata (the suburb where Scotia Bank is), and there must be buses from Terry Fox to Scotia Bank Place.

Here is the link to OC transpo. Usually bus # 60's are all going to Kanata.
http://www.octranspo.com/maps_menue.htm

The other alternative would be to use Para transpo service operated by OC transpo.

Tigger

Final Flight
Thanks Fumie Fumie!! Actually, the bus was wonderful for 06 Cdns. Those were at the Civic Centre though and much easier to figure out. I've got the number for OC Para transpo service, but by the time I got that yesterday, it was too late to call.

Too bad it's not at the Civic Centre again. Then I wouldn't have the slightest worry about getting there and back.

Otma

Rinkside
Hi Tigger, I'm very insterested too, as I'm not canadian, I'm concerned with this transportation problems.
:bow:

Judy

Rinkside
Can you afford to take a taxi? If you're not that far away that might be your best option.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
OK here are the options.

option #1)
Call OC Transpo and tell the operator that you want to go from point A to B. And she/he will tell you exactly what buses you take and where you transfer. Just be aware of the heavy French accent (Ottawa is a bilingual city ;))

Transit Information
613-741-4390
TTY 613-741-5280

option #2)
Make a reservation for taxi with a bunch of people near where you're staying. I know for sure there are groupies of fsu, isu fans going to Scotia Bank. By sharing the ride, you can make it affordable. Start a thread in both fsu and isu.

option #3)
Skate Canada in conjunction with the city of ottawa operates a transportation volunteer service. I know for sure they provide the service to the skaters, but it is also possible they can extend the service for the fans as well. So call Skate Canada and find out.

Tigger

Final Flight
Thanks for all of those options Fumie Fumie. The FSU one isn't an option for me as I will not pay for the "privledge" of accessing their competition boards. If I posted something in Great Skate Debate, it would get moved and then I wouldn't know if anyone answered me or not. As for the ISU board, I'm not a member over there, so...

A good thought, but just not an option for me. The others though, I will keep in mind. Another one hit me the other night that I've been trying ever since. Since I'm a CNIB Client, they do provide Volunteer Drivers for certain occasions. I have the Toll Free Number to the Ottawa office, but I'm obviously calling at the wrong times since I keep getting a busy signal.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get thought!! :)

Thanks again for gathering all of that information for me. I really appreciate it. :)

Tigger

Final Flight
After a frustrating afternoon on the phone, here's what I've learned...

Getting to Scotiabank Place by the bus isn't going to be the problem. Getting back OTOH. I was told those who will be using OC Transit and it's various offshoots in Kanata that you've got fifteen minutes to get from your seat out to the bus stop. That's it. That's all!!

No, I am not kidding about that either. I was told by the guy I talked to that I should call and make a complaint about that. Of course in the next breath he told me there was some sort of Basketball Tournament out there last year and they had the same problems. So my calling and placing a complaint would help how exactly?

This was through a call I made to the Ottawa office of the CNIB to see what my options were. After he routed me to OC Transpo, we were cut off, but he did call me back. He's dammned lucky we're not able to reach through phones at the moment...

After talking about the Transit issue and then me asking if there weren't any Volunteer Drivers who could get me there and back (Which is why I called them in the first place. Silly me thinking that would happen because it's happened before w/the CNIB). He said no, but then...

Hope everyone's secure in their seats or sitting down.

Do you know what he told me? "Oh, well if you end up missing the bus, the parking lot is right beside the bus stop and most of the people there will be heading for downtown Ottawa. Just get a ride w/one of them."

Once again...No, I am not kidding about that. He really did tell me to do that and when I asked him if he was nuts and told him I wasn't getting into a car w/a strange person, he replied w/, "Oh...Well, I guess it wouldn't be that safe for a woman."

I told him I was hanging up now before I said something to him I'd regret. I won't repeat what I said when I hung up the phone. :mad:

Thankfully, I had the number to OC Para Transpo and called them. They will get me out there and back. I need to call them when I get into Ottawa on the Thursday, but I think I'll do that earlier in the week. Better to be safe than sorry after all.

What an afternoon!! Anyway...I just thought I'd let those who will need to take the Transit out there about what I was told. For those who do have access to FSU's Skate Canada board, please pass that information along!!

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Hey Tigger,

I'm so happy to hear that you get things sorted out. Skate Canada volunteers and officials gather on Oct 27 at Scotia Place, so I'll see if I can bring up this problem to Skate Canada. You rock!

Tigger

Final Flight
*blushes*

Thanks for that Fumie and please do tell them about this. As Judy said in the thread about Scott and Tessa's w/drawl, The Civic Centre's not an option anymore sadly for events like this in the Ottawa/Capital Region. It's all well and good to have a great building, but if it's so far out to make getting to it easily for those who aren't able to drive and/or from out of town so hard to get to, then what's the point of having such a great building to bring in the events?

Thank you for all of the help and advice you've passed along to me the last week or so. :)

Last edited:

Judy

Rinkside
The area is being built up around Scotiabank Place. It's unfortunate you couldn't have gotten into the hotel down the street but I guess you'd have to book early for that. I think you'll find transportation pretty good though.