Boot adjustment fail? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Boot adjustment fail?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm so glad you're out of the foot coffins (Debuts) that so tortured your feet. Risport Royal Pros are lovely boots. Strange that you hated the RF3s but...

With regard to the Edeas that you tried, you are right in thinking that broken in Ice Fly and Showgirls are a far cry from the new ones. And yes, that will almost certainly account for the discrepancies in size/fit, although it should always be remembered that every boot fits slightly differently, even the same size/brand/style, as they are made by people not machines. The same can be said for clothing. A couple of millimetres makes a huge difference. Did you skate in the Edeas? Because that's usually the deal breaker. I tried Edeas and they felt quite nice. Then I skated in them and they were not the boots for me. I dislike the lack of snugness around the ankle and went straight back to Risport Royal Pros. (Until arthritis and medication-related oedema forced me into Jackson Elite Pros in a wide fitting.)

Thank you for the update and I'm looking forward to hearing that your move went well and you are skating happily on a regular basis.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Oh! I also want to add that before I moved last year, I was able to test-skate a few different boots. Granted, ALL of them were used to some degree, so my impressions should be taken with a large grain of salt, and perhaps a dash of pepper to boot... My thoughts:

1. Risport RF3: Yikes! These felt like concrete to me - heavy, stiff - dare I say... clunky? I dare. Hadn't anticipated that at all. They are clearly well-made, lovely boots - just not the boots for me.

2. Edea Ice Fly: Okay, wth?? Now, I'm going to maintain my quiet, but deep, conviction that Edea is painfully overhyped. I also in NO WAY expected my foot would agree with the brand (remember those happy Freestyles?). But these delivered a curious sensation of feeling both supported, yet flexible (if that makes sense). And maybe it's because my feet had most recently been confined to the cursed Debuts, but Mary, when I say they felt great... THEY FELT GREAT. They also happened to be on back order in my size until kingdom come at that particular juncture.

3. Edea Showgirl: Another surprise - my feet were perfectly content in these. Like, super comfortable... but perhaps that's because they were past their prime by the time I inherited them? Also unexpected: size variations within Edea. Showgirls in 240 = totally comfortable. Ice Flys in 240 = ouch, too small! Ice Flys in 245 = happy feet. Admittedly, the Showgirls had seen more ice time than the Flys, so perhaps that accounts for the variation? *shrug*

4. Harlicks: My flea-market babies of unknown provenance. Admittedly, I've only tried them on - not skated in them. Picked these up for a few bucks as I figured they'd make swell (and super pretty) Christmas decorations. My curiosity got the best of me, though, and before long I found myself slipping them on "just to see." Until that moment, I had never considered the possibility of having an identical foot twin, but now I know there must be one out there somewhere, because the dang boots feel like they were made precisely for my feet. And sheesh, they are so frigging BEAUTIFUL. Good heavens. The tongue foam is battered to hell, but I'm now considering having them refurbished at Harlick and installing a set of either pic or quad wheels to replace the utterly lifeless Gold Seals they came with (I recently got into roller skating but am in decidedly recreational wheels).

I will be stunned if this is of interest to anyone besides myself, but I'm happy that there is this sweet niche on the internet that can accommodate it. At minimum, it spares my family enduring this chronicle one more time! 🙃
Very interesting thread and thank you for sharing your experience!

I've skated in Edeas since I started figure skating but a rather recent pain made me question my coaches and boot fitter's choice, and someone here had suggested either Jackson or Risport. I shared with them and they laughed saying that would be the absolutely worst for me. They didn't have any Jackson to convince me, but I was landed a newish part of Risports to skate with and what you describe was the exact same I felt. It wasn't the stiffness (I like rather stiff footwear, when I was a ballerina I danced on Grishko shoes that many avoided for their stiffness and for ski boots, mine are also extremely stiff), but rather the clunkyness and just bad fit overall (even though it was the correct size), lack of heel, I felt I had a pair of bricks on my feet. I was told they might work for people with fatter wider toes, wider feet around the ball than me, not so thin feet, so thin long toes, narrow Greek feet like mine. They convinced me. (it ended up the pain is from unrelated injury, nothing to do with skate boots).

Then I was landed a pair of newish Ice Flys (I currently skate with Concertos) and oh yessss, this felt SO, so comfortable like my feet were being gently hugged inside the shoe. I have very thin ankles but they're quite strong and I like the room around the ankle for knee bends, ankle bends, what you say, very supported but no footwear strangulating my ankle which I don't like, much flexibility.
I was sold. They are completely out of stock in my size and new stock only arrives maybe end of Autumn, beginning of Winter, so I have already happily ordered them.

I have zero experience with Harlicks, never skated on them and the only person I know who has them is a different size than me, but again talking brands, both my coaches did not have good experience (ordered USD2000 Harlick skates in the past and they ended up not liking them at all) so of course they discouraged me to perhaps have the same failure, said best spend this money with something more garanteed to work.

I think the best skates is such relative theme, what is best for one is the worst for other, and the experience taught me to trust who has seen and touched my feet, and who sees me skate everyday!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Very interesting thread and thank you for sharing your experience!

I've skated in Edeas since I started figure skating but a rather recent pain made me question my coaches and boot fitter's choice, and someone here had suggested either Jackson or Risport. I shared with them and they laughed saying that would be the absolutely worst for me. They didn't have any Jackson to convince me, but I was landed a newish part of Risports to skate with and what you describe was the exact same I felt. It wasn't the stiffness (I like rather stiff footwear, when I was a ballerina I danced on Grishko shoes that many avoided for their stiffness and for ski boots, mine are also extremely stiff), but rather the clunkyness and just bad fit overall (even though it was the correct size), lack of heel, I felt I had a pair of bricks on my feet. I was told they might work for people with fatter wider toes, wider feet around the ball than me, not so thin feet, so thin long toes, narrow Greek feet like mine. They convinced me. (it ended up the pain is from unrelated injury, nothing to do with skate boots).

Then I was landed a pair of newish Ice Flys (I currently skate with Concertos) and oh yessss, this felt SO, so comfortable like my feet were being gently hugged inside the shoe. I have very thin ankles but they're quite strong and I like the room around the ankle for knee bends, ankle bends, what you say, very supported but no footwear strangulating my ankle which I don't like, much flexibility.
I was sold. They are completely out of stock in my size and new stock only arrives maybe end of Autumn, beginning of Winter, so I have already happily ordered them.

I have zero experience with Harlicks, never skated on them and the only person I know who has them is a different size than me, but again talking brands, both my coaches did not have good experience (ordered USD2000 Harlick skates in the past and they ended up not liking them at all) so of course they discouraged me to perhaps have the same failure, said best spend this money with something more garanteed to work.

I think the best skates is such relative theme, what is best for one is the worst for other, and the experience taught me to trust who has seen and touched my feet, and who sees me skate everyday!
Harlick is also currently quoting a 12 month lead time, but I am sitting at 15 months and no skates (and told best case is September shipping), so if you can't wait that long, don't do it. I actually just got a pair of Grafs (great deal) in their place

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Harlick is also currently quoting a 12 month lead time, but I am sitting at 15 months and no skates (and told best case is September shipping), so if you can't wait that long, don't do it. I actually just got a pair of Grafs (great deal) in their place
No thank you. Expensive, forever wait and no garanteed it will work.
I love my Edeas, already ordered an upgrade that don’t take forever to come, which is another Edeas, and my current skates still very good until the new ones arrive.

nomi darling

On the Ice
I'm so glad you're out of the foot coffins (Debuts) that so tortured your feet. Risport Royal Pros are lovely boots. Strange that you hated the RF3s but...

With regard to the Edeas that you tried, you are right in thinking that broken in Ice Fly and Showgirls are a far cry from the new ones. And yes, that will almost certainly account for the discrepancies in size/fit, although it should always be remembered that every boot fits slightly differently, even the same size/brand/style, as they are made by people not machines. The same can be said for clothing. A couple of millimetres makes a huge difference. Did you skate in the Edeas? Because that's usually the deal breaker. I tried Edeas and they felt quite nice. Then I skated in them and they were not the boots for me. I dislike the lack of snugness around the ankle and went straight back to Risport Royal Pros. (Until arthritis and medication-related oedema forced me into Jackson Elite Pros in a wide fitting.)

Thank you for the update and I'm looking forward to hearing that your move went well and you are skating happily on a regular basis.
Thank you; I can't tell you how relieved I am to be out of my "foot coffins"!!

I did indeed get to skate in both Ice Flys and Showgirls! Honestly, when I tried Edeas on previously at my fitters, I thought they were "fine" but didn't strike me as anything especially exceptional. But holy moly, you are right about trying on vs. skating on boots. The same time I tried on the Edeas, I also tried the Debuts and LOVED them - and we know how THAT turned out!

Looking back, I'm pretty sure that the Edea size discrepancy I mentioned earlier was due to different degrees of wear. The Ice Flys I tried out had been worn a grand total of twice. By the time they first arrived to the fitter, the skater who had ordered them had already grown out of that size. They tried to make it work (hope springs eternal when supplies are low, I guess), but two miserable skates, they had to accept the inevitable. I had a chance to try them out before they were sent back to the fitter, and loved them, but the fitter only wanted to sell the skates with the now-mounted blades as a unit. I didn't want to have to adjust to a new rocker and with the rotten luck I'd been having gave it a pass. And ordering a pair brand new wouldn't do much good, as they wouldn't arrive until after I'd moved away!

Glad I waited for the Royals, though. Now I just have to get through the upcoming move over the next few weeks so I can enjoy them in earnest!

nomi darling

On the Ice
THIS. Take what you can from experienced, knowledgeable people - especially those who don't stand to make money from your decision (feedback on this forum has been SO valuable) - but be sure to listen to your feet (and ankles, etc.). They really don't lie. I do feel for folks who want to enjoy this sport but don't have a fitter and access to trying different skate models within reasonable distance.

If only there were some way to test drive models ON the ice.

nomi darling

On the Ice
Woof. I heard the same last spring, but I thought perhaps things had gotten a little better since then. I suppose I should look into alternatives for replacing the tongue sponge, then!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Woof. I heard the same last spring, but I thought perhaps things had gotten a little better since then. I suppose I should look into alternatives for replacing the tongue sponge, then!
If the tongues are simply lined with sponge foam rubber (e.g., no extra cover stitched over the foam), check whether your local pro shop will do the replacement. That's a standard menu item at many shops I've dealt with. But be sure to ask them about the sponge foam they use (ask to see it). One shop did a great job, except they used packing foam, which fell apart within 6 mos or so.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
THIS. Take what you can from experienced, knowledgeable people - especially those who don't stand to make money from your decision (feedback on this forum has been SO valuable) - but be sure to listen to your feet (and ankles, etc.). They really don't lie. I do feel for folks who want to enjoy this sport but don't have a fitter and access to trying different skate models within reasonable distance.

If only there were some way to test drive models ON the ice.
Yes, I meant, listen and trust your boot fitter and coaches (especially if your coaches were the ones who recommended the fitter). They have experience, they have seen and touched your feet and they see you skate everyday.
There is a group coming from overseas for training and they arranged for our fitter to come to the rink with "test drive" models since it seems not quality fitters where these skaters come from, so now it's their chance for fittings and skates/blades purchases.
I was around and it was the same day I had spoken with my coaches maybe doubting choice of skates etc, so they made me wait, grabbed the skates brand I had mentioned (risport) test drive from the fitter, in my size and made me skate with them. It was the best way to convince me how these skates are the worst for me, what I current skate is the best and after also test driving one model up, which they had previously recommended to be my next upgrade since they'll be the bestest for me, I was very convinced.
It's good to trust the professionals that work with us for our own benefit :)

nomi darling

On the Ice
If the tongues are simply lined with sponge foam rubber (e.g., no extra cover stitched over the foam), check whether your local pro shop will do the replacement. That's a standard menu item at many shops I've dealt with. But be sure to ask them about the sponge foam they use (ask to see it). One shop did a great job, except they used packing foam, which fell apart within 6 mos or so.
Good to know! I'm going to be stopping by the pro shop tomorrow, so I'll try to remember asking then. I'm assuming packing foam is... less than desirable material?? Sheesh.

nomi darling

On the Ice
They are quoting 4 weeks for rebuilds and 1-2 expedited rebuilds
Oh, hey, that's not so bad!

Gotta say, Harlick's sheepskin tongue liner looks deliciously cozy for chilly mornings on ice. Too bad mine are going to be on wheels in much warmer conditions.

nomi darling

On the Ice
Yes, I meant, listen and trust your boot fitter and coaches (especially if your coaches were the ones who recommended the fitter). They have experience, they have seen and touched your feet and they see you skate everyday.
There is a group coming from overseas for training and they arranged for our fitter to come to the rink with "test drive" models since it seems not quality fitters where these skaters come from, so now it's their chance for fittings and skates/blades purchases.
I was around and it was the same day I had spoken with my coaches maybe doubting choice of skates etc, so they made me wait, grabbed the skates brand I had mentioned (risport) test drive from the fitter, in my size and made me skate with them. It was the best way to convince me how these skates are the worst for me, what I current skate is the best and after also test driving one model up, which they had previously recommended to be my next upgrade since they'll be the bestest for me, I was very convinced.
It's good to trust the professionals that work with us for our own benefit :)
Wow, I had never heard of reps offering on-ice test drives! But I'm new to the sport, so maybe that's not as unusual as it sounds to my ears?? Regardless, pretty neat.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wow, I had never heard of reps offering on-ice test drives! But I'm new to the sport, so maybe that's not as unusual as it sounds to my ears?? Regardless, pretty neat.
Yes, this happens in elite training centers more than most know.

In that same regard, I have tested and worn many boots and blades due to the above and b/c of my level and accomplishments when I competed. I was offered and accepted to do so. Many others have done the same.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Good to know! I'm going to be stopping by the pro shop tomorrow, so I'll try to remember asking then. I'm assuming packing foam is... less than desirable material?? Sheesh.
Yes. Packing foam is the stuff that's used to line a box when you buy, e.g., a cellphone or a watch. You know, it's usually black and carved out to hold the item. It's meant as temporary protective material to be chucked after you unbox the item. It's not meant to be flexed repeatedly, which is what happens when it's used as a tongue liner.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I think it depends on what country you live, what rink you go and what arrangement the fitter does.
I'm in Japan. There is one skate shop/fitter that works with skaters of the rink I go to. They do not come to the rink, we go to them (for me it's a 1:30/2 hr trip, it depends where the skaters live. I live 30 minutes from the rink), but in this special case, there's a group who came from Vietnam to train in our rink with our coaches for limited time this Summer. This group paid the service of having the fitter come to the rink, fit them, bring many, many skates for them to try and buy. They do not do this for us locals, however since they know us and know the coaches, since they were already there, they took the time to talk to whoever skater was also there and take skates consultations.

nomi darling

On the Ice
Yes, this happens in elite training centers more than most know.

In that same regard, I have tested and worn many boots and blades due to the above and b/c of my level and accomplishments when I competed. I was offered and accepted to do so. Many others have done the same.
That is so nifty and it makes perfect sense, too.

nomi darling

On the Ice
Yes. Packing foam is the stuff that's used to line a box when you buy, e.g., a cellphone or a watch. You know, it's usually black and carved out to hold the item. It's meant as temporary protective material to be chucked after you unbox the item. It's not meant to be flexed repeatedly, which is what happens when it's used as a tongue liner.
Wow. You must have been LIVID. Did they end up offering any kind of rationale for their decision?!?