TT choreographed both MK's LP and a new SP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

TT choreographed both MK's LP and a new SP

nymkfan51

Medalist
kyla, I don't know what program Christopher Dean sent her out to skate with. I wasn't privvy to her practice sessions ... all I had were various reports from some posters on the internet. Maybe some of you had some inside connection to what actually transpired, but I wasn't that fortunate.

kyla2 - I think we are on the same wave length (or should I say bandwith these days). She has to come out fighting and not be resting on "You're the best skater in the world" syndrome. Interesting to read Danny is apparently on the same wave length we are. Good for him.

I still think she needs a 3x3 to make her competitive. It gets the crowd going and I believe that influences the judges. Irina has the combos; Sasha has the extensions; Carolina has the speed - all these pluses are crowd pleasers. Michelle, of course has the flow with the arms. Pretty but not exactly a boisterous crowd pleaser.

Getting some of these snippets from posters about MK, make me feel better about her (not just the usual gush stuff). It will be the most interesting Olys if all the Ladies (12 of them) skate their best.

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
What was your source for Caprice Italien? Mine was verbal from a Russian ballet teacher I knew some years ago who may have exaggerated. Apparently Milykovia was very much in marital wants from Peter but he did not comply. The music is arguably a description of his vacation in Italy on the beach, and the hysteria shown by Antoninia. I don't know anything about a dedication.

I believe the dedication to Karl Davidov was printed in the front of the score, at least that was what I saw. If you try to google PIT, C. Italien and Karl Davydov or Karl Davidov you wil find the same thing. About PIT's inspiration for writing Capriccio Italien I got that from BBC 3 classical radio dicovering music archiv on a program on Souvenir de Florence. Just scroll down to Tchaikovsky's Souvenir de Florence.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/discoveringmusic/audioarchive.shtml

According to the BBC commentator PIT wrote a letter to Von Meck about his desire to write a piece ), Italien) similar to Glinka's piece a memory of a night in Madrid. Yes Glinka visted Madrid and wrote a souvenir piece, so PIT wanted to do the same after his visit to Italy. Since PIT and Antonina were married and stayed together briefly for 6 wks in 1878, and Capriccio Italien was written in 1880, and he dispised Antoninia, I honestly do not believe she was his inspiration for writing this piece.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/blangston/pitch/th047.htm

Mathman said:
tortured genius

More like a tortured gifted instead, not quite genius in my book. PIT's music is very tuneful and rich with melody, he had a music god given gift for melody second only to Mozart but then nothing else much. Kind of a one trick pony. Tuneful music is easy on the ears and appeal to the masses

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
1. Tchaikovsky's marriage was most likely a front to cover his homosexuality. It's a real tragedy that a woman's life was so destroyed.

His marriage was a tragedy for both sides, she eventually died in a psych hosp. OTOH his pedophilic practice had nothing to do with his sexual orientation, and he destroyed the life of many young men, including his own nephew Bob Davidov who suffered chronic depression and eventually died of suicide.

Back to TT and Kwan, I hope she is not using Capriccio Italien.

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
I'm kind of bemused by Joesitz thinking Kwan is not podium material (just because she finished 4th at Worlds 2005, I suppose).

Take a look back at Worlds 2005. The one segment of the competition where Kwan really blew it was the QR---and in fact, that was where she lost out on the podium. The QR was her first attempt at a CoP program, and she failed miserably, perhaps because she had a touch of stage fright. Kwan finished 3rd in both SP and FS, and in fact beat Kostner in both TES and PCS in the FS, despite the emptiness of "Bolero".

We are not going to see any empty programs at Torino. Kwan is working hard at two CoP-friendly programs choreographed by a woman who knows how to construct winning programs.

IMO, Kwan is not only a contender, but a very strong contender. Sasha has never performed at her best at a competition where a major title was at stake, and I don't see her pulling off a great performance at Torino. Irina, too, is subject to nerves at the major competitions, and this time she won't be skating at home. Like Kwan, Shizuka is trying to regain lost glory, but the record shows that she has never been a consistent skater. With a fire in her belly, Kwan can compete with the best and come out on top---and she knows that.

Michelle has had us in a trick bag all along. And it was the best kind of trick, because she came right out and told us that she was going to trick us and exactly how she was going to do it.

Three years ago she said flat out, I am going to goof off for three years, then come back in the Olympic season and see what's what. That's just what she did, coasting her way to a couple of extra national titles and world medals on the side, without wearing herself out practicing endless repetitions of triple/triples, and by picking and choosing her competitions.

Now if she can just pull off the punch line!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Two things that are important about qualifying rounds: they set the groups for the short program, and if the skater performs well in the short program -- i.e., doesn't fall apart a la Sandhu at 2004 Worlds -- the momentum can carry over and be reflected in the scores.

The Olympics start with the SP. While an early draw is likely to be a disadvantage to all but the top few skaters compared to the rest of the field, and possibly to the top skaters in relation to one another, there isn't the "history" of the long program performed in the quali rounds to anticipate and influence the results in the short program. For example, Kostner is an extremely strong SP skater; her issues with stamina, particularly in the late jumps, is not an issue in the SP. The SP will be the first impression in competition, and if her nerves are steady, she has a good chance to be close to the top if not the top at the end of the SP. I think the draw will be key for Cohen and Kwan; a late draw will help them. If Slutskaya is "on" in the SP, I don't think an early draw will influence her placement.

euterpe

Medalist
Kwan has skated great SPs in both of her previous Olympics, where under 6.0, making a mistake in the SP could be fatal to medal hopes.

Under CoP, a minor blip in the SP may not have nearly as much impact (think of Slutskaya's two mistakes at Worlds '05, and her still winning the SP). If Kwan can skate a clean CoP-proficient SP, she will be in good position for the FS whether she is 1st or 4th in points.

Hockeyfan, why do you think a late draw will be more beneficial to Michelle and Sasha than to other contenders?

curious

Final Flight
Michell better go out there with an extremely competitive program if she really wants the judges to take her seriously. I'll wait to see what she can really do :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
I'm kind of bemused by Joesitz thinking Kwan is not podium material (just because she finished 4th at Worlds 2005, I suppose).

Take a look back at Worlds 2005. The one segment of the competition where Kwan really blew it was the QR---and in fact, that was where she lost out on the podium. The QR was her first attempt at a CoP program, and she failed miserably, perhaps because she had a touch of stage fright. Kwan finished 3rd in both SP and FS, and in fact beat Kostner in both TES and PCS in the FS, despite the emptiness of "Bolero".

We are not going to see any empty programs at Torino. Kwan is working hard at two CoP-friendly programs choreographed by a woman who knows how to construct winning programs.

IMO, Kwan is not only a contender, but a very strong contender. Sasha has never performed at her best at a competition where a major title was at stake, and I don't see her pulling off a great performance at Torino. Irina, too, is subject to nerves at the major competitions, and this time she won't be skating at home. Like Kwan, Shizuka is trying to regain lost glory, but the record shows that she has never been a consistent skater. With a fire in her belly, Kwan can compete with the best and come out on top---and she knows that.

ITA. I'm not counting anyone out this year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Michelle has had us in a trick bag all along. And it was the best kind of trick, because she came right out and told us that she was going to trick us and exactly how she was going to do it.

Three years ago she said flat out, I am going to goof off for three years, then come back in the Olympic season and see what's what. That's just what she did, coasting her way to a couple of extra national titles and world medals on the side, without wearing herself out practicing endless repetitions of triple/triples, and by picking and choosing her competitions.

Yes but will it pay off for her? I consider myself a "realist" just like many other posters here but the difference is that I'm not a Kwan fan. I have my thoughts but we'll only find out after a couple of competitions (assuming she does the GP). I think it might have been a way for her to reflect and not lose interest in skating overall. I don't think she was motivated one bit.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I really think TT wants her to win.
Joe

Now, you are the one jump to the conclusion too soon. Lol.

I'll wait until the season begin and have seen SA and MK programs to make my own judgement.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I think it might have been a way for her to reflect and not lose interest in skating overall. I don't think she was motivated one bit.

Well, to me Danny's there, is a prove that she's motivated this season. Because rumore had it she asked her daddy be there for her this season after she winning her last cheesefest.

Mathman said:

Three years ago she said flat out, I am going to goof off for three years, then come back in the Olympic season and see what's what.
You are joking MM. Where was I when she said this? :laugh:

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
You are joking MM. Where was I when she said this? :laugh:

Joe

Well, she sort of saying this in one of her interview before the seaon of 2003 started. She said that after 2002 Olympics she thought of taking a break for couple (??) of years, then come back, like what Todd did after 1998 Olympics. But Karen, her sister, advised her (based on her own experience) that at her level of skating, if she took a break, even just for a year, it would be very difficult for her to make a strong come back..... so here she is.

mzheng said:
Now, you are the one jump to the conclusion too soon. Lol.

I'll wait until the season begin and have seen SA and MK programs to make my own judgement.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. I said TT would like her to win. It would be a feather in her cap to have the two time Oly medalist come up with gold as a result of her work.

I am feeling less gloomy than I was - true! but I am still awaiting the proof of the pudding and that would be a look at Campbells, and serious looks at Skate America and Cup of China and hopefully GPF.

I can do without the PreNats Marshalls except to check out the tweaking. and my only interest in US Nats is who gets the bronze.

Sasha, has been doing fine the past two years in spite of not doing 2004 GP. We haven't heard even rumours about her camp, but I don't think she'll be having any problems with the CoP scores. She's not that far behind the great Slutskaya. We'll see if there is a 3x3 in her repertoire at Campbells and GPs.

Joe

cianni

On the Ice
Joesitz

Joesitz, Michelle ha already said there wont be a 3/3 at Campbells but at SA. Good grief where did you get the great Irina little over the top dont ya think.

cianni said:
Joesitz, Michelle ha already said there wont be a 3/3 at Campbells but at SA. Good grief where did you get the great Irina little over the top dont ya think.
If there is no 3x3 and she wins this cheesefest she just may think she doesn't need it for the GP. If Sasha does a 3x3 at Campbells, well.......

As for the great Irina it is just my way of embellishing like the mighty Kwan. ;)

Joe

Lucy25

Final Flight
cianni said:
As far as I know, there is no record of Michelle saying this. This was in a report from someone else who said he/she heard from someone at the rink. Lots of second hand talk going on.