Tuktamysheva: The Views of Frank Carroll | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Tuktamysheva: The Views of Frank Carroll

seniorita

Record Breaker
Mathman can send you to a galaxy far FAR away if he wants to so do not mess with him a lot. He is that wise:cool:

jatale

On the Ice
Liza's given name is just too complicated for non-Russians to master, it is as simple as that. The problem with "Liza" is just that it might not be distinguishing enough if other "Elizabeths" become prominent skaters too.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Liza's given name is just too complicated for non-Russians to master, it is as simple as that. The problem with "Liza" is just that it might not be distinguishing enough if other "Elizabeths" become prominent skaters too.

We've had other Elizabeths in Skating. The last one was a US Ice Dance champion. Before her, there was an Olympic silver medalist!

seniorita

Record Breaker
one point to consider is that we don't know if she'll handle the pressure of expectations. Her current level of performance for her age has set the bar higher for her. Just as Mirai and Sasha have struggled to live up to their hype, this young lady will also need to do the same next year. Right now, it's just exciting and new to her and no one really expects her to win. After watching her this year, I'm gonna guess that many will start to hail her as the next Olympic champion - if not in 2014, then for 2018......

Actually in predictions thread I believe a lot of people expected her to win, the hype is not exactly new to her, Liza and Adelina have been hyped since they took part in RN some years ago, age 12, and they were not even eligible for juniors, when they entered juniors people were saying the same, if they can handle the pressure and the result was 1 and 2 placements in all competitions. I didnt expect her to win on her first GP though, she used to mess her sp A LOT, I hope she is past that.

I dont think a skater would mind being called Queen Tukt, how many queens have we goten so far, two-three? :biggrin: And it sounds better than Princess.:laugh:
I find it very cute and I bet she is such little diva that enjoys it too. I certainly doesn't feel any insult from people calling her like this. Her last name, it took me a couple of seasons to learn it and still write it with i instead of y.

Liza's given name is just too complicated for non-Russians to master...

I once tried to make anagrams of all the top staters' names. The hardest was Ilia Kulik.

Puppeteer Fran Allison, of the puppet show Kukla, Fran and Ollie, was on the air so long that she went through 52 Kukla puppets. The current one is KUKLA LIII.

The lovely Japanese skater insured her car with the Automobile Association of America. When she wrecked her car, it made the AAA SO MAD!

I visited England in the springtime. I was in the UK IN MAY.

In the closing seconds of her long program, Katherine (a CoP whiz) quickly calculated that she needed another 6.6 points to win, including second half bonus. She launched herself into the air.

Her coach squealed: EEE! SAVVY LUTZ MATH, KATIA!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yu Na Kim
(UK)
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
(Katherine)
I haven't grabbed on to the Yak Tail yet ;)

bekalc

Record Breaker
Liza is absolutely great.:)

Mathman

she is not Eqyptian, if you want to compare by names why not compare to Russian Tsarevna Evizaveta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_of_Russia

Because Tsarevna doesn't go with her name. Tukt does. If we said Tsarevna everyone would be like huh? Who? But Tukt (has as a shortened version of her last name is obvious).

I hope Elizaveta isn't offended. Nobody's calling Elizaveta bad names. I'm not even frankly sure the right way to spell her last name in English since for so long it was Tuktamysheva and now it being spelled Tuktamisheva. Being given a Queen nickname is hardly an insult by any stretch of the imagination.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Because Tsarevna doesn't go with her name. Tukt does. If we said Tsarevna everyone would be like huh? Who? But Tukt (has as a shortened version of her last name is obvious).

I hope Elizaveta isn't offended. Nobody's calling Elizaveta bad names. I'm not even frankly sure the right way to spell her last name in English since for so long it was Tuktamysheva and now it being spelled Tuktamisheva. Being given a Queen nickname is hardly an insult by any stretch of the imagination.

Look, everyone, the names are not such a big deal. If she heard the name Queen Tukt, she'd probably smile. Who doesn't want a nice nickname? There are no degrading names: fat, ugly, anorexic. It's fine. Besides, people say Plushy and Yags.

And calling her Liza (by the way, it's not pronounced Layza, but Leeza), is also completely fine. That's how everyone calls her, including the Russian commentators.

DianaSelene

Medalist
For people who say that Tuktamysheva will have a lot of pressure in the future because everyone will be expecting great things and we don't know if she'll be able to handle, this girl is strong both mentally and physically. She has had pressure since 2009 after nationals, for many years had to travel by train to St. Petersburg for many hours which shows that her lifestyle is not really childlike and sheltered. Mishin trusts her so much that he didn't even go with her at the senior debut. Many skaters would ask for as much moral support as possible on their first senior competition. Also, this April, her father just died. Many skaters could crush under that.

Vash01

Medalist
For people who say that Tuktamysheva will have a lot of pressure in the future because everyone will be expecting great things and we don't know if she'll be able to handle, this girl is strong both mentally and physically. She has had pressure since 2009 after nationals, for many years had to travel by train to St. Petersburg for many hours which shows that her lifestyle is not really childlike and sheltered. Mishin trusts her so much that he didn't even go with her at the senior debut. Many skaters would ask for as much moral support as possible on their first senior competition. Also, this April, her father just died. Many skaters could crush under that.

I am so sorry to hear that Liza lost her father at such a young age!

Vash01

Medalist
It was not David Dore who seized the moment, it was Octavio Cinquanta, the President of the ISU, Speedy to the rest of us. CoP was Cinquanta's proposed system. He had tried to introduce it some years earlier and had been voted down. After SLC, Speedy proposed the CoP system at the ISU General Council meeting that June, but he presented it as a "test, not a rule". He knew that the Figure Skating section would not vote for the change so he had the General Council vote because he knew the speed skating federations would go along with whatever he proposed.

David Dore had nothing to do with this. He wasn't even on the ISU Council at the time. Where the Canadians became involved is that Ted Barton from BC Section, was involved in writing the software that the system uses.

Exactly. It was Cinquanta's dream to introduce a point based system in figure skating, like in diving or gymnastics. He never understood figure skating, and the SLC media circus gave him just the right opportunity. In my opinion there was nothing wrong with the original results- I was there in person. Just because the Olympics were in N. America, the whole thing was started and it was Cinquanta that seized the moment. There are some good things about the COP, but FS lost a lot of its appeal to fans who appreciated the artistry as much as the athleticism in it. FS is not like any other sport.

seniorita

Record Breaker
If she was called Polina, we could say Polina the Czarina :) Queen Tukt seems great to me!

I m really sorry to hear about her dad, thats sad..

How about Liza T to distinguish her from other Elizabeths?

For a non-Russian, Russian names are hard to wrap our minds (and typing fingers) around. Every time I type Sikharulidze (okay, that's not Russian, it's Georgian), I get anxious. But I see your point. I don't give Anton a nickname.

I hope Liza T will live up to her potential. I hate to see a promising kid diminish before our very eyes. For one thing, the feminist in me is distressed that guys get to increase their powers while so many women are apparently too delicate to make it through the growing-up process. This is just one reason I love Shizuka so much!