U.S. judges give U.S. skaters higher scores | Page 3 | Golden Skate

U.S. judges give U.S. skaters higher scores

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Speaking of....I think Google has picked up the whispers because on today's doodle, the octopus landed an octo-jump and a fellow octopus judge gave him a perfect score while the alligator and squirrel gave him a 7.2/8 and 5.9/8 respectively :roll9:

Ha ha ha I loved that Google Doodle! And yeah that squirrel totally lowballed! ;)

On topic this seems obvious...as some pointed out on another thread, the big judge shock was the Aussie judge giving Brendan Kerry the lowest marks! Aussie ice skating judges are weird.

Tahuu

On the Ice
The solution to national bias is simple and practical - just do what diving does:

1. State in ISU rules that national bias is unethical and prohibited.

2. Discard the 2 highest and 2 lowest scores from the judging panel.

The reason the Chinese judge gave Jin the highest GOE and PCs of all men is to ensure that the highest scores from other judges would not be eliminated. Simple as that. If 2 highest scores are discarded, there will be no much incentives to do what he did.

The solution to national bias is simple and practical - just do what diving does:

I think the ISU has already done #1. For #2, at least they discard the single highest and lowest.

bobbob

Medalist

The reason the Chinese judge gave Jin the highest GOE and PCs of all men is to ensure that the highest scores from other judges would not be eliminated. Simple as that. If 2 highest scores are discarded, there will be no much incentives to do what he did.

1 I'm sure is already hammered at the judges. 2 no matter how many scores you drop, if you give the lowest score or highest score you are still going to be helping/hurting that skater because your score will be dropped versus another potential low/high score.

What's the solution? Don't allow any countries judges to judge their own skaters? (But then they will just lowball the competition...) Maybe an unbiased set of ISU judges? But each person still has a home country? Or ideally, no judges from any relevant competing countries at all?

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
There really is no foolproof solution to national bias (although it can be reduced, hence the dropping scores). And honestly, in a sport with subjective (to a certain extent) scoring, there will always be preference/bias, whether national or not. It's just that national bias is more common and people pay more attention to it.