U.S. judges give U.S. skaters higher scores | Page 2 | Golden Skate

U.S. judges give U.S. skaters higher scores

For what it's worth, the data from previous events that were studied by this researcher has Ukraine showing the most nationlistic bias overall and Australia the least.

In these Games, I think that only the judge from China went overboard and will probably face ISU scrutiny.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The Hungarian judge, plus the article's wrong, the Canadian judge also gave Nathan more marks than the American judge. It's all on SkatingScores.com.

http://skatingscores.com/2018/ote/men/short/tss/

I did notice that he Canadian judge (if it's the same one that did the men's) was not a fan of Alexei. The Canadian judge put Nathan over Patrick. I'm always more interested in total scores and total scores that are out of whack than placements but in the team event placements in the short really matter.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
For example take Cha (because there is no Korean judge on the panel) in placements he has 2 3rds (USA-KAZ), a 4th (ISR), two 5ths (HUN/CAN), 1 6th (Aut) , 2 7ths (Fin/China) and an 8th (LAT). But his scores range from a 82.4 (USA) to 69.45 (FIN- who had him 7th)

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Speaking of....I think Google has picked up the whispers because on today's doodle, the octopus landed an octo-jump and a fellow octopus judge gave him a perfect score while the alligator and squirrel gave him a 7.2/8 and 5.9/8 respectively :roll9:

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Why is the U.S. singled out for this? This is NOT uncommon! All countries (whether or not people will admit it) do this! No surprise.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Speaking of....I think Google has picked up the whispers because on today's doodle, the octopus landed an octo-jump and a fellow octopus judge gave him a perfect score while the alligator and squirrel gave him a 7.2/8 and 5.9/8 respectively :roll9:

I SAW THAT!!' :laugh2:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When V/M won, French tabloids kept accusing the Canadian judge for being biased in their favor. That was not even a week ago. 4 years ago it was the Russians favoring their own, with former Soviet Union countries backing them up.
What's new on all this that it makes the news?

In the SD, the panel included a CAN judge and a FRA judge. In the SD, according to SkatingScores.com, only FRA and USA had P/C first
But in the FD, the CAN judge was still there, but no FRA judge. New judges in the FD: SVK, POL, ESP, CHN replacing UKR, FRA, ITA, ISR

According to SkatingScores.com, in the FD, Judges 1 (SVK), 2 (CAN) and 4 (JPN) had V/M first, while 3 (POL) had them tied (same score for TSS and TES) while all the other judges 5-9 USA, TUR, RUS, CHN, ESP had P/C first

Canada's order:
1. V/M
2. P/C
3. Weaver/Poje
4. Shibs
5. Gilles/Poirier
6. Hubbell/Donohue
7. Cappellini/LaNotte
8. Guignard/Fabbri
9. Bobrova/Soloviev
10. Coomes/Buckland
11. Chock/Bates
12. Muramoto/Reed

US Order
1. P/C
2. V/M
3. Shibs
4. Hubbell/Donohue
5. Cappellini/LaNotte
6. Bobrova/Soloviev
7. Chock/Bates
8. Weaver/Poje
9. Guignard/Fabbri
10. Gilles/Poirier
11. Muramoto/Reed
12. Coomes/Buckland

bobbob

Medalist
I did the math, and if we threw out the Canadian judge for both segments, P/C would have won by 0.20 points. If we threw out both the Canadian and the French judge (who only judged the short), V/M would have won by 0.2 points.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Why is the U.S. singled out for this? This is NOT uncommon! All countries (whether or not people will admit it) do this! No surprise.

Because the article was taken from American media, and I think is good that America media hold their judges in high standard of honesty. Other people have signaled that it is a common practice too.

RobinA

On the Ice
I am sorry to be callous, I know that many people are not as cynical as I am. But I came up in the 70s, when the skating judging was based far more in nationalities than these articles describe. The Eastern bloc scored the Eastern bloc skaters too highly and the North Americans did the same for North Americans. When you had true agreement, like Torvill & Dean, it was a minor miracle.

For me, saying judges may score their own skaters more highly is like saying the sun rose in the East today.:slink:

Me too. Skating fan since 1968. It has always been thus.