Unattractive Choreography | Golden Skate

Unattractive Choreography

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Though the Russian pair (S/K) won the Grand Prix final, I was not crazy about some of the choreography in their program - in particular the lifts. One of the poses is quite ugly. It kind of looks like her legs are "scissor like" or an X. It's hard to describe. Anyway, I did not find I liked their program that much. Anyone else feel this way or any other program you find ugly?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG.....I loved their choreography. I thought it carried a sort of Lord of the Rings feel to it and just possessed a very classical yet sophisticated feeling that kept building. Maybe something you'd see in a kings court from yesteryear. I loved S/B for their fun program too but I can see the beauty in something a bit more serious like S/K offered. S/K were IMO brilliance on ice. Loved every second of it. Ka-frickin-boom!!!!!

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Tukt's programs this season.

And Gracie Gold's weird chicken arm flapping in her FS.

Franklin99

Medalist
Because I'm curious - what's "Damian music". I never heard that before.

Is not the name of a singer, but the music itself was the soundtrack of the Omen movies about a little demon boy named Damian.

Last edited:

Khoai

Match Penalty
S/K have beautiful body lines and they have great skating skills. Of course their programs are not up to everyone's taste.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Is not the name of a singer, but the music itself was the soundtrack of the Omen movies about a little demon boy.
I know this wicked little guy! But wasn't he called Damien?
And I found out something (because I didn't connect the "Omen" movie with Carmina Burana).
1981-1991: In the BBC sitcom Only Fools and Horses, whenever Rodney sees his nephew Damien, who was named after the child in The Omen. This has led to a common false belief that the piece appears in The Omen film, although it is not present on the soundtrack of that movie.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Orff's_O_Fortuna_in_popular_culture
And I never watched the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses". Is it good?

Icey

Record Breaker
I don't like the squat (knees spread) Gracie does in the first step sequence in Firebird.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't like the squat (knees spread) Gracie does in the first step sequence in Firebird.

Lori's choreography here is too literal. Patrick Commentates Skating has an analysis of all that is wrong with "Firebird."

It's not necessarily ugly choreography, but as much as I love Yuzu's skating, whenever he does his Biellmann, I cringe b/c it looks so awkward. I mean kudos to him for doing it b/c most men can't but it's not pleasing to the eye.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Lori's choreography here is too literal. Patrick Commentates Skating has an analysis of all that is wrong with "Firebird."

It's not necessarily ugly choreography, but as much as I love Yuzu's skating, whenever he does his Biellmann, I cringe b/c it looks so awkward. I mean kudos to him for doing it b/c most men can't but it's not pleasing to the eye.

Here's the thing about Firebird. Firebird is like the "Carmen" of the Marching Band World. I have had to Choreograph to that Music more times than I can count and frankly. I would have killed to create a nice piece to Carmen.

There are probably 50 Versions of Firebird played by almost every marching band in the world but, here's a good version of it from "The Phantom Regiment" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcv7qSQj8i8

Last edited:

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
Boyang's FS. His skating skills, while not on par with the rest of the top men, is not too bad, but the choreography in this program (when there is any choreography at all) is so terrible that it makes Boyang's skating seem so much worse than it is. I don't think even someone who's strong in PCS like Shoma can skate this program without making me cringe and think, "My GOD that is one terrible program". Seriously, what's with the cowboy lasso gesture? He better get great programs next season so we can forget this mess :palmf:

mrrice

Record Breaker

It's not a Squat...........I'm sorry, that cracked me up!:laugh2: It's called a Grand Plie' in second position.......:rofl2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for saving my post. I was reorganizing it and accidentally deleted it :laugh:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think a skater would fall over if they tried to hold that position only on the toepicks. Certainly they would not be able to glide on the toes.

Skates are not ballet shoes, and are not bare feet either. They have different mechanics.