Vanessa Crone to compete in singles | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Vanessa Crone to compete in singles

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Well, I wish her luck in singles. I'm hoping for the best! I've never seen her skate singles AT ALL, no I really have no opinion on what she's going to deliver. But if she can't get the triples for some reason, I wonder if she'd consider precision team skating?

Macassar88

Medalist
If she can get two triples she could do it in Canada I think. As an ice dancer she would have the capacity hopefully to do more intricate programs with more transitions and choreography. That's not to say that she will win worlds but she could have a nice career.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I wish Vanessa well but her jumping repertoire is very limited and certainly not international level. I hope she is doing this not for hopes of going tot he Olympics or world's but for heself. Even though she is in Canada they do have women who at least try to land triple lutzes and flips; Vanessa doesn't even have a solid 2A. This will be hard - gr eat transitions and edges only do so much when you don't have even 5 triples -2 3salchows, 2 3toes and a 3 loop to compete with the big girls.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spins are also a huge component: competitive spins have become far more complicated since 2008, the last year Vanessa competed.

Macassar88

Medalist
Big update on Vanessa's Facebook with lots of details. Confirms that se will be going to singles.

Macassar88

Medalist
Could anyone provide a link ?

Hi everyone,

It has been a long time since I have spoken openly about anything. Now it’s time for me to release some news about my skating career.

After Paul ended our partnership, I was devastated and took some time off to recuperate from the shock. Eventually, I got myself back on the ice, working to get into tip top shape again. I found it very hard to find a new partner since I had not ant
icipated the split. I got a tryout and moved to Detroit.

Unfortunately, that partnership didn’t last. I did another tryout a couple months later, moving to Montreal. This was also unsuccessful, so I moved back home to Toronto again. I felt blessed to have had these opportunities, working with extraordinary partners and coaches in both Detroit and Montreal.

Since I had been gone a whole season, I knew it was time for me to make a decision. After pursuing those two tryouts and experiencing different scenery, coaching, partners, and support, I could re-think my motivation and my goals. I realized that I couldn’t see myself with anyone but Paul, and that my dance career would come to a halt, at least for now.

I have had some time to think about what I am going to do in figure skating because I love this sport more than anything and don’t want to be away from it. In the past I have competed in singles and enjoyed it immensely, but have never been able to make it my primary goal. Moving into competing singles is something I have wanted to do and I think it will be the best route for me to take at this point in my life and career. I will miss competing dance a lot, but I know that this is something that I need and want to do.

So: This is my first official press release since the split and I am really happy to say that I will now officially be competing in the Senior Ladies event this season!

I would like to thank everyone for the support and love that you gave me over the many years I competed in dance. Every one of you made my skating journey incredible day in and day out. The support was overflowing and genuine and I am so proud and happy that I was able to share my career with every single person possible. I can’t thank my fans enough for all those years of dedication. A special thanks to everyone at Skate Canada for the support and time they put into me as an athlete and a person. I was so privileged to skate for all of the judges and officials who also played a huge part in my career, helping me reach my goals and dreams.

The coaches that I worked with on and off the ice contributed a tremendous part to my growth as an athlete and taught me so many skills that I will remember and take with me for the rest of my life. I am grateful to my family for always being there and doing whatever they could to make it possible for my dreams to come true: most importantly, my mom has gone above and beyond for me year after year. She made sure everything I needed was at my fingertips, but most importantly made me the woman I am today. Without her, I would not have been able to pursue my dreams.

So thank you everyone for all that you have done for me in my career as an ice dancer. Now, onto the next part of my journey and whatever the future holds. I can’t wait to share my next chapter with all of you!

Vanessa Crone
Here is the status update
it's really long