Vasiliev interview | Golden Skate

Vasiliev interview

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Original
Another interview with Vasiliev. Like always, he impresses me as a bit of an a**.

[size=+2]”Totmianina and I had an on-the-job affair”[/size]

March 14, 2007

Olympic figure skating champion believes, that if a woman is not a hellcat, there is something wrong.

For the past year there have been many rumors around the Olympic champions’ coach Oleg Vasiliev. One version had him marrying his student Tatiana Totmianina; another had him breaking it off with her completely. The renowned coach tells the “MK” correspondent in Pete what really happened, and how he broke up with his ex-wives.

I wasn’t peeping in on Totmianina and Plushenko

“Oleg Klimovich, so did you marry Tatiana Totmianina, or didn’t you?"

“No, though there were many rumors about our supposed wedding. Tanya and I had a good relationship, both working and personal. However, when the Olympic race was over, a new life began for us. Different lives for us. I had new students and new challenges, whereas she and Maxim Marinin and new tours, shows, and performances. What kind of personal relationships can we be talking about if I last saw them at Tatiana Tarasova’s anniversary a few weeks ago? Actually, “saw” is an exaggeration. We crossed paths for 15 minutes. Next time we’ll see each other in June.”

”What attracted you to Tatiana?”

“Any person has something interesting about them. You just have to look. I did look, because I had to make her into a champion. We had an on-the-hob affair. I can say that she is a very strong person. If she decides something, she will do it for sure. She approaches her goals confidently, making everyone around dance to her tune. This quality of hers was very important to us on her way to Olympic gold. Besides all that, Tanya is just a really nice girl.”

”Did you understand right away that Tatiana is more than a student to you?”

“No. At first, it was just work. During the first year there was no time for anything else. A different relationship developed later on, when we got to know each other better after spending so much time together on the ice.”

”Lately, there have been many rumors about a close relationship between Tatiana and Evgeny Plushenko. Did those reach you?”

“Obviously, I’ve heard the rumors, but I don’t know anything about it. I wasn’t peeping in on them. Perhaps they had something, or may be they were just friends outside the rink. People are used to seeing us as a triangle – I, Tanya, and Maxim Marinin. Now that her circle goes outside this frame, people find it unusual. Again, Tatiana and I broke up after the Games, and I have no intention on following what she’s doing.”

Women leave, I stay

“You have already been married twice, and both times it ended in divorce”

“Right. The first time I was brought to the altar was in 1984. We had a fancy wedding with my partner Elena Valova. The banquet was in a restaurant on the corner of Nevsky and Litejni prospects. I think it’s a hotel now. There were about a hundred guests. In short, it was an awesome party. The second wedding was far simpler. Valentina and I flew to Las Vegas, and became husband and wife in a small chapel there. We kept it a secret seven from friends. As to divorces… My divorce with Lena took three days. With Valentina, divorce proceedings took almost three years.”

”She didn’t want to let you go?”

“No. We just lived different lives, and it was hard to get all the paperwork squared away. By the way, I have just recently become a free man.”

”Are you afraid of women now?”

“It so happened that I have to deal with women at work. Being afraid of them wouldn’t be smart. It’s better to study them. However, this study led to some not so good consequences in my family life. The more I know women, the less I want to tie myself to the only one for a long time. Because women come and go, but I stay.”

”Perhaps you’re having trouble with your personal life because you’re rich and famous?”

”I doubt it. My brother’s life approach is “less money means less trouble”, but he has difficulty with women too. Dating, break ups. There are underwater reefs everywhere.”

”Your first on-the-job affair wasn’t successful. Why repeat the same mistake?”

“First of all, comparing my relationship with Lena Valova and Tanya Totmianina is like comparing apples and oranges. Totally different people, totally different relationships. Secondly, in my case on-the-job affairs just happened. I didn’t look for them, though I didn’t avoid them either. Work is a part of my life. It’s not surprising then that warm feelings developed on the rink as well. It’s like we’re under a looking glass there. All the qualities are there to see.”

”What do you like most in women?”

“Everything! All women are interesting. At least all women I’ve ever met. Every person has something special about it. It can be on the outside or on the inside. A woman should be a hellcat. In a good sense. If she’s not a hellcat, then she’s not really a woman.”

”Is there something you can’t stand in women?”

“I can’t stand filth. I can live with anything else.”

Farewell the American dream!

“Does Petersburg differ from other cities you’ve lived in?”

“Of course. Bad roads, for example. However, Petersburg’s beauty can only be compared to Paris. I guess the only two cities where I can live simply and naturally are Peter and France’s capital.”

”Nonetheless, you’ve lived in Chicago for several years”

“That’s where I worked. But America is not my country. I never liked it, I don’t like, and I will never like it.”

”Is it boring? Are you nostalgic?”

“Neither. Chicago has almost a million Russian speakers. There is a Russian radio station, a TV channel, not to mention newspapers. There are stores with Russian goods and Russian music. If you get nostalgic, there is no need to fly anywhere, just drive a couple of blocks, and it’s like you’re in Russia. People are different. They have different interests, different values. You and I can talk about weather, theater, or movies, but in America all conversations are just about money.”

”Listening to you, one shouldn’t even think about the future.”

“That’s not true. One should think. It’s important to maintain one’s health, to stay active. This way, old age won’t be so infirm. I wouldn’t want to be dependent on others in old age.”

”You’re one of the few athletes who doesn’t have a business on the side.”

“That’s true. At one point I tried selling cars with friends. Then I tried selling produce, even dabbled in real estate. In all cases the business wasn’t bad, and my friends who stayed in it are successful. It just wasn’t interesting for me. I didn’t enjoy making a hundred dollars one day, or five hundred the next. So I went back to figure skating.”

[size=-1]Conversation was conducted by Alena Skorbareva[/size]

I think the guy is like so many men who are absorbed in their work and at some point, suddenly realize that they are working with special female pupils. The male hormones start rising, and once they are satisfied, it's back to work.

I think the female should understand this, and of course, since I am a male, that would be in defence of Vassiliev.

Joe

Ick. I think Totmianina is like so many female students who get sucked into relationships with older male teachers (who are taking advantage of the student-teacher relationship)... only to have the man go bragging about it later.

Obviously a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, so she finds herself a new beau.

I think a male should understand, and since I'm a female, this is in support of Totmianina.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I actually don't object to a relationship between an obviously adult student and the coach; this has worked out for many skaters (think Moskvins). I can't pinpoint exactly what bugs me about Vasiliev interviews. I think it's that he takes himself a bit too seriously, is a bit too self absorbed, thinks himself a bit too much of a genius, completely lack any humility what-so-ever. This is the kind of stuff I expect from a twenty-year-old, but not from someone pushing 50.

I dont' know any of these people and have no axe to grind - but by American standards Totmianina's youth and independence at the time of their affair would be very questionable. This quote is from Torino2006.org:

Relocating to America in 2001 [when TT was 19?] proved a difficult transition for both skaters. "The most difficult thing was being by ourselves," Marinin explained. "The first year there was a lack of information because there was the language problem. The first year was the hardest for us. There weren't any bad surprises, it is just another kind of life here, maybe more comfortable than in Russia, from one side. But from another side, we didn't have enough money, we didn't know the language and it was the hardest thing for us." Despite this, Vasiliev helped them adapt to the USA. As Totmianina said, "He was everything, our mum, dad, coach, cook, driver, everything. He put us with American families and that was helpful."

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I dont' know any of these people and have no axe to grind - but by American standards Totmianina's youth and independence at the time of their affair would be very questionable. This quote is from Torino2006.org:
You know, I still don't think it was anything malicious, or even planned on Vasiliev's part. Yes, he was the one who helped them out and such. However, he is a popular enough guy not to need to pressure any young girl into anything. I'm sure it was just a natural attraction of the rather isolated man and woman working together a lot.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Maria Tallchief said that she thought George Balanchine asked her to marry him (when she was 20 and he was 40) because he knew he wanted to form a company -- he had met her during a stint with the post-Diaghilev reincarnation of the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo, where he choreographed for her and Mary Ellen Moylan, another great ballerina who was an original member of Ballet Society (later New York City Ballet) -- and so that he could keep her focused on dancing for him. When she was upset or angry, he told her not to be, to save her energy for the dance. (And from her description in her autobiography, it sounds like he didn't think she should expend much energy on sex, an approach which backfired after their divorce; but by that time he was interested in another ballerina, both romantically and artistically.)

Totmianina was unhappy, lonely, homesick, and was in an alien place where she didn't know the language. Moskvina (allegedly) said in an interview that Totmianina's mother was upset that her daughter was involved with her married coach, and Moskvina replied to the effect that she was happy and never looked better. It was very expedient of Vasiliev to keep her focused on the rink with him and to keep her a bit happy, so she didn't give up in frustration and worked through long-term tendonitis in her knee and then the horrific fall she took. And, obviously, he liked her enough that it was hardly a burden.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
well

Well, I believe they are actually a perfect match. Both of them have quite eccentric personalities.

What will be Vasiliev's next hunting target? :love:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Another older married Svengali in power taking advantage of his student, then he has the audacity to talk to the press about it. Discretion is not his strong suit. JMO

I did think his comment about America, that all people talk about is money, was interesting. Not as fact but perception.

soogar

Record Breaker
It's kind of a shame it didn't work out between them. Looks-wise they were very compatible. Even though Tatiana is young she has a more mature look. I also think that Tatiana's intense personality was very similar to Oleg's as well. Maybe they were too much alike and that's why it didn't work out.

Thanks for the translation.