Weir snark | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weir snark

bonmil

Rinkside
What makes people think that he gave up? I didn't see giving up, he finished the program all the way thorugh. Yes, he looked tired at the end, but that does not equal giving up.

And he is naturally pale like that. I have the same skin colour too. He's not intentionally making himself look green.

Ilooked like he just let the program go at the end. From the mid-point on, he became less and less focussed. It was easy to see that live. I'm not sure how it translated on the tv broadcast. I was quite disappointed, because he started out so well and all he had to do was not let it go and the gold was his.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I just finished watching Johnny's SP and LP. I loved both of these programs.
Of course he had some mistakes in his long but so did Lambiel and
Daishuki (sp) Overall two excellent programs. jmo

Here's the podium picture that everyone is talking about.

http://photos.skatetoday.com/displayimage.php?album=48&pos=61

antman said:
He's straying into that scary place where he looks like that scary vampiric ice dancer from Israel!
Ironically enough, Sakhnovsky has dropped the Transylvania look. Here he is at Euros last year. (He has a foot injury this season and they were not able to compete in the GP.)

http://homepage.mac.com/fsphotobox/06euro/icedancing/CHAIT_SAKHNOVSKI/5th.jpg

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
I think there is a ton of potential in both of these programs and I'm excited to see it develop. I really like the music and the choreo as I see it now. But even on Youtube Weir gave the impression of being unfocused, not fighting and yes, by the middle sort of giving up. I hope that was not what was really happening - that is, I hope Johnny IS a fighter (and perhaps just nervous or not quite comfortable yet in this program) because he will need that to win in the big comps.

janka

Rinkside
he started out so well and all he had to do was not let it go .

What do you call a good start? I would say he started badly from the very beggining. First touch down and overrotation on triple axel (also comenattors said something about a filp combo which was scheduled in there) then triple toe (which was clearly supposed to be the quad) then simple triple lutz (no combo). But it's true that right there he could have still put it all together, it wasn't catastrophic yet.
He changes on a fly that's precisely what caused his unfocus later in this program. It's not easy to deliver well a completly new routine (also in terms of style) thinking about so many elements that have to be changed and put in so he still gets credit for them and so it connects with the music.
I guess once he sticks to what he has planned it should go better and he could focus on artistic side of the program. Also he really should go for that quad or leave it. It must be frustraiting not doing it after speaking about it for years, if he falls, at least he has that putting the quad in program behind him, the world will not end, and not putting it messes up the whole routine later, also he won't get much credit for simple triple toes.
I would say he didn't feel comfortable now with this new lp, but will he later in season?

Also I wonder how come he got level 2 on circular step sequence. Is it supposed to be level 3 sequence only was badly skated or what? I sorta expected that after working with Marina (hey, an ice dancer) he would get level 4. The straight line one was level 2 as well.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
First of all, Johnny was using a facial tanner all last season. Apparently he has ditched it this season, so he looks pale by comparison.

Then he is improving. No make up, no fake tan, totally natural. Natural is beautiful.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Also I wonder how come he got level 2 on circular step sequence. Is it supposed to be level 3 sequence only was badly skated or what? The straight line one was level 2 as well.

I don't know what level it was supposed to be. When I saw it on video, it did look simple enough to me. He was busy using his arms for the expression which I think was good, but too much if you couldn't deliver the footworks required. Those parts made me remember about Plushenko who was famous in this way to express himself.

His LP has potential but a lot works need to be done, much more than his SP.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Then he is improving. No make up, no fake tan, totally natural. Natural is beautiful.

Whay is that improving? Woul dyou have all of the ladeis go out there without make up too?

Most of the guys do wear make up or use fake tan - white glarig ice does no favours to one's comlpexion.

Ant

jennylovskt

Medalist
Whay is that improving? Woul dyou have all of the ladeis go out there without make up too?

Most of the guys do wear make up or use fake tan - white glarig ice does no favours to one's comlpexion.

Ant

But don't forget that he is a man, not a lady. "Most of the guys do wear make up or use fake tan" - Oh, I don't know about that part. That seems to fit the description of the word "Bizarre". So next time when I see a man with darker skin, I have to question if it is natural or fake. :D

I agree that "white glarig ice does no favours to one's comlpexion. " But this is a sport, not a stage play, or it isn't?

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist

Ant

But don't forget that he is a man, not a lady. "Most of the guys do wear make up or use fake tan" - Oh, I don't know about that part. That seems to fit your description of the word "Bizarre". So next time when I see a man with darker skin, I have to question if it is natural or fake. :D

I agree that "white glarig ice does no favours to one's comlpexion. " But this is a sport, not a stage play, or it isn't?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not sure if I hate the costume or if I'd just like to see it have a few different things done to it. Namely the color of the sash and the head band (it's stupposed to be the crown of thorns?? ok... didn't know thorns were royal blue)... if he really wanted to get the message across that he was playing Christ he should have used purple as that is/was a color of royalty and is what most pictures decide Christ should wear...

that or ditch the sash entirely (and the hair needs to be toned down a bit)... it's not as bad as it could have been...

Panther2000

On the Ice
This is not meant as a bash against the top three finishers, but I just viewed a photo of the podium trio and I think they all looked like they were dressed for a halloween party.

You got that right. MY LORD:rofl: :chorus: What is with these costumes in the past few years. They are going from bad to Lord only knows. They need to start deducting points for dress. Just like they do in gymnastics.

Horrible isn't the word to describe these outfits.

Panther2000

On the Ice
:sheesh: :unsure: No comment!!!

I wish he'll be more natural and less clownish!!!

yeah, I have to second that motion. What is with all these Women & Men with these pouting looks nowadays. It makes them all look like fish waiting to be fead.:laugh:

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
That pic was from the Heatherette show. I doubt he'd wear all that on the ice. Although he was wearing quite a bit in Torino but, I thought it looked good. I wonder why Johnny has decided against using fake tanner this season so far? He's naturally so pale that w/out a little color he looks very washed out.

But this is a sport, not a stage play, or it isn't?

I think it's a bit of both. There's def. a 'stage' aspect to skating and I hope we never lose that.:)

jennylovskt

Medalist
It's so funny. Johnny used to use make up and fake tanner, skating in an "almost feminine style". He was accused "outrageous", "eccentric". Now, he doesn't use anything, totally natural, and skating in a more masculine style. He is accused "bizarre", "peculiar". What do people want him to do? Or maybe different group of people say different things? So one way or another, he will be accused. That is why he goes in his own way (I am not saying that I liked his way).

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Tracy Wilson made the comment that "Johnny tries to change his program as he is skating it and that is what gets him into trouble. He will leave jumps out or not do the required amount." He also spends too much time talking to the press. He said in a press interview for a Canadian paper - that he hates spinning and that it is too ugly. Tracy also mentioned this and that he was not putting his best effort into his spins - which detracts from his skating. As Tracy said "It's a shame because he is such a beautiful skater."

The costume was too pale for his already pale skin. I did not think he looked healthy.