Weir snark | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Weir snark

emma

Record Breaker
I don't know, but it seems to me like lots of people have been complaining about all the 'contortionism' required to get level 3 and 4 for spins; and many people have been saying that the spins, while difficult, are ugly (and people say that of the spirals too) - so, I can't really disagree with Johnny on that point; also he has said in the past (i believe in his journals but do not remember exactly), that he does not like to spin - and when he said that it caused surprise since he does spin well. anyway, my point is that his not liking spinning is not new news; and he often criticizes himself after a competition, and I believe what he said was that he was happy with his short program for now, but his spins were ugly (like a self critique). A number of the PBP reviews here also mentioned how those spins were slow and not up to par; so again, I can't critcize Weir here.

On the point of constumes - there seem to be two major trends: a) costumes that are versions of nice/formal clothes and/or simple and clean lines; b) costumes that are, well, costumes - something you would wear on halloween or in a play to send some symbolic message about the character. I have always preferred 'a' because it allows me to better see the skater - his/her line and movements. But, my only point here is by no means is Weir alone in following the 'b' route.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It depends on the hour of the day like l'heure bleu.
Howvever the Renaissance (sp?) painters depicted the color was all in their minds. And like Johnny, they were not there.

true he wasn't there, and I'm sure he'd get into trouble if he actually wore what Christ most likely had to wear on the cross...

that being said... he could have at least used the 'poetic version' of color as to make sure the story/character he was try to convey came off.... my mom didn't know what he was skating to/as and was very confused by his costume...

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
I think he looks fine. I like the costume. His skating is okay for this early in the season. At least he has decent music for the Long Program this year. I just think that he is quite thin and that because of this, his hair is too much. It makes his face seem strangely small. Cut the hair 2 or three inches and all will be fine.

seafoam

Rinkside
Tracy Wilson made the comment that "Johnny tries to change his program as he is skating it and that is what gets him into trouble. He will leave jumps out or not do the required amount." He also spends too much time talking to the press. He said in a press interview for a Canadian paper - that he hates spinning and that it is too ugly. Tracy also mentioned this and that he was not putting his best effort into his spins - which detracts from his skating. As Tracy said "It's a shame because he is such a beautiful skater."

I believe be was talking about high-level CoP spins. I agree with him--some of the spins these guys are doing for points are fugly.

The costume was too pale for his already pale skin. I did not think he looked healthy.

To me, Johnny has always looked a bit unwell. It's the pale complexion, along with the dark circles under his eyes and his slightness. I'm not saying he is ill--just that he's never looked a paragon of health. I thought the Swan costume made him look more robust than usual, oddly enough. Must have been the heavy rhinestones :)

The new FS costume--I think it looks a lot better when he's actually skating than when he's standing still. And he would be wise to ditch the thorny headband in the future. I really love his SP costume, though. Black, white and red are good colors for him. I thought the Otonal and Dr. Zhivago costumes kind of made him look a little washed out, too.

Vodka Shot said:
That pic was from the Heatherette show. I doubt he'd wear all that on the ice. Although he was wearing quite a bit in Torino but, I thought it looked good. I wonder why Johnny has decided against using fake tanner this season so far? He's naturally so pale that w/out a little color he looks very washed out.

It looked to me like he was wearing a bit of eye makeup, etc. for the SP. It looked good, though. Very subtle. I prefer the pale skin to the fake tan, even if he does look sick, lol.

seafoam

Rinkside
I happen to be a Weir fan, but I must wonder what all this thread is about.. It's not about his skating, Is it?

No, not really :laugh: I mean, the first post was about him turning into a zombie vampire or something, and it went on from there.

I'd have more to say about his FS, but it sounds like what he did out there was not at all what was choreographed, so it's kind of tough to draw any conclusions.

jennylovskt

Medalist
but it sounds like what he did out there was not at all what was choreographed, so it's kind of tough to draw any conclusions.

I agree with this. I believe that I haven't seen the real FS yet. It's a new program. He didn't have enough practice time, he forgot the routine at some point during the performance, then he messed it up.

We'll see him at Cup of Russia. That will give better picture how he is doing this season.