What are you listening to right now? | Page 126 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
[Whispered: 'Scuse. It's O Canada. In both official languages. "Au" was a pretty clever try, though!:slink:]

Oops. I always assumed it was "Au". :slink:

Oh, the dangers of words sounding the same, and both making sense in the context! :drama:

I'll fix it, in case anybody gets offended.

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Oops. I always assumed it was "Au". :slink:

Oh, the dangers of words sounding the same, and both making sense in the context! :drama:

I'll fix it, in case anybody gets offended.

CaroLiza_fan
Not offended in the slightest, for my part.:) It had never occurred to me, but now I see how easy it would be to hear it that way if one happened to know Canada is a bilingual country. Officially, at least. Even while working in downtown Montreal for five years, I lived out in the anglophone (at that time) suburbs of Pointe-Claire and Dollard des Ormeaux, skating in the many rinks there, and rarely hearing any French spoken. (The way their father reacted to the French picked up by our kids on the playground, I thought it wiser not to ask for a translation.:mad:) I read the language, as most of do, picked up from the labels on food and other products, and understand it if spoken slowly. My knowledge of the grammar is so weak I don't attempt to speak it, though.:scratch2:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
There has been a lot of talk about Carmen in a number of threads recently. As a very old person who was a child during the 1940s and a teenager during the 1950s, I really love boogie woogie. So this is my favorite version of Carmen played on the piano by Liberace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TLzFcvlLXA.
I always think it's ironic that Carmen became a warhorse mostly for women skaters when the whole fixation with the music began with Donald Jackson in 1962 when he used it for his famous "first triple Lutz" program. (And I remember seeing that on TV, as I'm sure PaulE also does.) From that one performance, the music took on a life in skating of its own.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Back in the days when I had a sideline as a wedding-and-funeral singer (before hasty tubes in emergency surgery wrecked my vocal cords), I was so often asked to sing Amazing Grace. I'd always marvel to myself at the number of wretches who got married or buried.
Tell me about it. One of the most popular songs here for weddings for years was a song (a great one, but still) about a one night stand. And then there is Every Breath You Take, which even Sting says is weird for weddings.

(Sorry to hear about your voice!)

That is so cool! :rock:

Although, to be fair, "Advance Australia Fair" is one of my favourite anthems. So, I'm happy enough with the normal version.
And I like the quip about nobody knowing the second verse. It's the same with "God Save The Queen". And I always have a wee smile when it comes to the time for the national anthem during the "Last Night Of The Proms", and the choir sings the first verse, and the audience joins in for the second verse. And everybody is looking down at their programmes because they don't know the words! :laugh:
One minor bit of fun when watching the start of major football events is watching the players as they pretend - very badly - to sing the National Anthem because they can't remember the first verse...

You know, I keep forgetting that Adam Hills is your's, because he does a lot of TV shows over here in the UK. But, I suppose you guys have the same problem with Ross Noble, forgetting that he is British.
Yep. I love Ross. And mind you, Adam did a long-running and dearly loved music-humour quiz show here, Spicks and Specks (any Aussie comedians you see in UK tele probably did many guest spots on it because everyone did), and still does special one offs for it when he's back here.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am afraid that we are back to the obituaries. Scottish actor David McCallum (Jr) has died at the age of 90.

Most famous for playing Illya Kuryakin in "The Man From UNCLE" and Donald (Ducky) Mallard in "NCIS", he was also a musician, with the oboe as his instrument of choice. Well, it was hardly surprising; he grew up in a musical family. His Mum was a cellist, and his Dad was a violinist. So how young David ended up in the woodwind section, I don't know! :laugh: His Dad, also called David, was also famous as a conductor, and in this role his name appears on the credits of many films that I have seen over the past few years.

As my tribute, I want to post David Junior's most famous work:

David McCallum - "The Edge"

But, having watched the whole of "The Man From UNCLE" in the past year, and having loved the series, I have to include his musical contributions from it:

Nancy Sinatra and David McCallum - "Trouble" (good sound, fuzzy picture)
Nancy Sinatra and David McCallum - "Trouble" (quiet sound, good picture)

There was another scene I wanted to post, but I can't remember what the piece was called and, hence, can't find it again on YouTube (it is definitely on there because I looked for the clip after I watched that episode and found it!) :bang:

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! He lived a very long life. I had NO idea that he was a talented musician, either. Condolences to his family, friends, & fans, indeed.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And I just read on one of the news reports that after he died his wife, who is 79, said she was "sorry they didn't get to grow old together". :love:

Awwww!!! :love:

(I was confused at first when I read that, because I knew Jill Ireland died years ago. I keep forgetting that David and Jill were only married for 10 years, and both went on to marry other people after they split).

Wow! He lived a very long life. I had NO idea that he was a talented musician, either. Condolences to his family, friends, & fans, indeed.

Just to let you know, I started remembering bits of the song I was thinking of when I was in the shower (as you do!). But, when I searched for the words I remembered, neither Google or YouTube came up with it. I even went through the soundtrack section of the IMDB page for every Series 2-4 episode of "The Man From UNCLE" (the scene was in colour, so it wasn't Series 1) to find a title. But, still no luck.

So, I guess I will have to admit defeat. (I really should have posted it in this thread at the time!)

By the way, you know how I was saying about his Dad working in a lot of films in his capacity as a conductor. Well, he appeared in front of the camera in two films (both of which I've seen. But, I didn't realise it was him in the first). In first, he was conducting an orchestra. But in the second, he was playing the violin.

Here is the whole film. David Senior's scene starts at 7m 12s, and lasts about a minute:

"Last Holiday" (1950)

Even though his character was deshevelled and covered in hair, you could see that he was the picture of his son!

For that matter, David Junior really did age well. Although time was starting to have it's effect in the past few years, he still didn't look anything like 90! He looked about 20 years younger!

Good Scottish genes, eh @Diana Delafield? ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Awwww!!! :love:

For that matter, David Junior really did age well. Although time was starting to have it's effect in the past few years, he still didn't look anything like 90! He looked about 20 years younger!

Good Scottish genes, eh @Diana Delafield? ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan
Being asked to produce documented proof I qualify for a "60+" discount in stores has been known to happen ;). Since my oldest kid is now entering her 50s, that would have been an interesting scenario.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Two Autumn Songs

The Raven - Rebecca Pidgeon

Lullaby if Woe - Ashley Serena

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The soundtrack to "Goodbye Columbus" RIP, Terry Kirkman of The Association - singer/songwriter & flute player (I 💕 his flute solo in the song "Windy" & other songs by The Association)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You probably all know the song "Gloria" by Them, the band that was fronted by Van Morrison. Well, this morning I heard a version by one of the successor bands after Them split up.

Here is the original, with Van Morrison on vocals:

Them - "Gloria"

And here is the later version, with Jackie McAuley on vocals (if it's not, blame Michael Bradley for giving out duff information when he played it):

The Belfast Gypsies - "Gloria's Dream"

It's awful, isn't it?! 🙉

My Mum is a big fan of Van Morrison, and I just played it for her. And she said it was atrocious! :drama:

He may have his faults, but hearing that version really makes you appreciate Van's musical abilities even more.

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
You probably all know the song "Gloria" by Them, the band that was fronted by Van Morrison. Well, this morning I heard a version by one of the successor bands after Them split up.

Here is the original, with Van Morrison on vocals:

Them - "Gloria"

And here is the later version, with Jackie McAuley on vocals (if it's not, blame Michael Bradley for giving out duff information when he played it):

The Belfast Gypsies - "Gloria's Dream"

It's awful, isn't it?! 🙉

My Mum is a big fan of Van Morrison, and I just played it for her. And she said it was atrocious! :drama:

He may have his faults, but hearing that version really makes you appreciate Van's musical abilities even more.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks for posting the original… takes me back a long way (ahem!). So great to hear it again .. it is iconic

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Traditional Chinese Music can be found all over youtube..it drowns out my wife swearing at her computer....:biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wow! Just heard this and had to share it straight away!

I've heard the original countless times over the years, but never knew Joan Jett did a cover of it! 😲

Joan Jett And The Blackhearts - "Bits And Pieces"

For comparison, here is the original:

The Dave Clark Five - "Bits And Pieces"

To avoid confusion, I should point out that Dave Clark is the drummer. The guy doing lead vocals while playing the keyboard is Mike Smith.

Not a song I would ever have imagined Joan doing. But, she pulled it off!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I watched a film yesterday that was set in various parts of Southern Ireland. And during it, a traditional song from Northern Ireland was played. Except, the lyrics were changed to refer to Dublin instead of Belfast, so as to fit in with the setting of the film. And I was raging. Apart from anything else, it meant the chorus no longer made sense, because in it's original form the line in question is a play on words. :drama:

So, here is the most famous recording with the correct words:

Van Morrison and The Chieftans - "I'll Tell Me Ma"

Why could the producers of this film not have just used the traditional song that everybody else goes for when they want a song about Dublin?!

I think Paddy Reilly is doing the lead vocals on this recording (it's certainly not Ronnie Drew!):

The Dubliners - "Molly Malone"

(By the way, I was surprised that I could only find two recordings of this song by artists from NI. Unfortunately, I didn't like either version. Ruby Murray slowed the song down too much for her version, and Johnny Logan's version was plain awful!)

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The national classical radio station, ABC Classic, is including a lot of spooky music tonight, we've just had The Devil's Trill by Tartini, the soundtrack to Dracula and (well of course) Danse Macabre. And presumably more to come... I may add in my own by the OST to Ju-on, which I adore.

Or not. I need to sleep tonight.