What are you listening to right now? | Page 128 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
A CD of the Scottish Fiddle Orchestra playing The Prince of the Mist suite, recorded live during the years my daughter played in that orchestra. Of course I can pick her out :love: . (Actually, it would be bad if I could, since she'd be spoiling the blend.) I'm sure it was just the week before last when I took her to her first Suzuki class clutching her teeny little first violin. Now she plays an Amati and if you breathe on it the wrong way she garottes you with a spare string. :devil: :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I just remembered what I came into this thread this morning to post.

As I am sure a lot of you have heard, Welsh actress Glynis Johns died yesterday, just 3 months after she turned 100.

The Johns family clearly have good genes, because her Dad, actor Mervyn Johns, reached 93. And funnily enough, in a poignant coincidence, one of his films is being shown this afternoon. (If you think Glynis has a strong accent, wait until you hear him!)

All the news reports about Glynis' death are focusing in on her being in "Mary Poppins" (1964). But she appeared in a whole pile of films. I have seen quite a few, and when I hear her name I tend to think firstly of "Miranda" (1948) and it's sequel "Mad About Men" (1954), where she played the title character... who is a mermaid.

Glynis had a very distinctive voice. And we all know about Welsh people being known for their singing. Well, Stephen Sondheim wrote the following song specially for her:

Glynis Johns - "Send In The Clowns"

Starring in "A Little Night Music" resulted in her winning the Best Actress trophy at the Tony Awards and the Drama Desk Awards in 1973.

You can't really do justice to what was a very long and very successful career in a post like this. So, I will leave it there.

My thoughts go out to her family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We definitely enjoyed the New Year's concert from Vienna. I love how the conductor tries to cue the audience on the proper times to clap/not to clap!

RIP, Glynis Johns. She lived a very long life. I remember her fondly from "Mary Poppins," of course.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I have loved this song ever since The Thomas Crown Affair (Steve McQueen/Faye Dunaway)..
Delighted to find Lindsay Thorngren skating to a lovely cover by Venus this season
I just found this rendition from Sting..
A bit more jazzy but soft.. and I adore the gravel in his voice.. always
Been making way through songs from his album The Last Ship from his musical.. a story that I believe takes him back to his roots..

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This has been my morning coffee and making breakfast jam for the past few days

Song: Settle Down (acoustic)
Artist: Woodlock

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have been watching Aussie soap "Home And Away" since I was a youngster, and I was delighted when a new channel launched a few weeks ago, and started showing the series from the first episode (but not the feature-length pilot episode, which had been shown on Channel 5 a couple of weeks earlier during the Chistmas break of the current series). But then it stopped abruptly after 18 episodes. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seeing the old episodes started me feeling nostalgic, and this morning I decided to listen to the full length original version of the theme tune:

Karen Boddington & Mark Williams - "Home And Away"

And then I found the B-side of the single, which I can't remember ever hearing before:

Karen Boddington & Mark Williams - "Living In Summer Bay"

I got curious about the singers, so I looked around for their other material, starting with Aussie singer Karen. I only found one song:

Karen Boddington - "Heart To Heart"

As a side note, these are the sorts of songs I was expecting to hear in Ice Dance this season! What went wrong?!

Then I went onto Kiwi singer Mark, who was a big name in his homeland in the 70's. This is my favourite of the songs I found:

Mark Williams - "Taking It All In Stride"

I also found him doing a cover of a Buddy Holly song:

Mark Williams - "It Doesn't Matter Anymore"

And for the past 15 years or so he has been the lead singer of rock band Dragon, which re-formed 10 years after they had disbanded after losing their previous lead singer to cancer in 1997.

I have to be honest, I don't like the only single they have released since Mark joined the band. But, here is an album track that I did like:

Dragon - "Meet Me At The End Of The World"

Just shows how versatile a singer he is!

CaroLiza_fan

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Watching & listening to ISU Skating Awards ceremony on YouTube over morning coffee..
Lots of great music - live performers.. .Tho I shut my eyes to skaters skating up and jumping off ramps over fire rings to Born To Be Wild..!! They wisely wore helmets🫣😱. Great show!! Ilia was wonderful!!

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
I have loved this song ever since The Thomas Crown Affair (Steve McQueen/Faye Dunaway)..
Delighted to find Lindsay Thorngren skating to a lovely cover by Venus this season
I just found this rendition from Sting..
A bit more jazzy but soft.. and I adore the gravel in his voice.. always
Been making way through songs from his album The Last Ship from his musical.. a story that I believe takes him back to his roots..

Like I already said in Lindsay's thread I def love the Springfield version best, cannot accept another one, but in general Sting is an intriguing singer. :)

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Like I already said in Lindsay's thread I def love the Springfield version best, cannot accept another one, but in general Sting is an intriguing singer. :)
I hear you 😻. The song in the original film sung by Noel Harrison not my favorite but it is sung in the scene where Steve McQueen circles and lands a glider in a field and was captivating..
Trivia: that landing scene was filmed in Salem New Hampshire, my home state, Salem being just north of where I lived at the time..

Last edited:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Eternal Eclipse - Spirit of the Forest

I woke up about 2 am recently went check on the dogs asleep in the kitchen.. we just had our first snow.. not a lot but ground was covered. I glanced thru the translucent shade out the window and saw a deer under the lamplight facing the house.. s(he) was BIG! And not 10 feet away..
Turned to her left walking the length of the house I followed discretely from window to window, rounded the back of the house, crossed the short distance into the windbreak thicket of tall dense pines .. I was pleased. She had avoided the road, found a place to bed down and could forage on my pile of small maple branches .. my farmer neighbor said ..”safe there”🌲🦌

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
Something relaxing .is a ballet music from La bayadere and is nice .for relax later of weeks stressful because for me are vacations substitution and no time for see figure skating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn9BEU4G2zs

RIP, Seiji Ozawa. :cry:

a sad news that Seiji passed away ,he was virtuous and his talent conducting was great, RIP Seiji

A piece that he conducted from Tchaikovski . is Serenade for strings , is airy, like a breeze of calm that piece and is Ballet music .. well if you have the chance for see this ballet ,you don't regret .

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
Skateable! I could hear quite a few twizzle passages in there :dance3:
Yeah, is very skateable.. is a pop more melodic in a time where pop had more feelings and lyrics meaningful (like life itself) . They have some songs in that style and lyrics that can feel like life experience.

Once in 2009 I seen a figure skater that chosen another song of this band and was great because that song demand expression and she did it great, very expressive also