What are your biggest hopes for the new season? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What are your biggest hopes for the new season?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
M WISH LIST

1. Sasha wins Nats. and Worlds.
2. Angela makes the World team and medals there.
3. Mike wins Nats. again and medals at Worlds with a CLEAN quad lutz.
4. Chait & Sakhnovsky forget last year and come back strong with much better programs.
5. Another amazing year for S&Z. (How they could possibly top last year is beyond me... but I remain hopeful!)
6. Elvis skates well with a very unique program--something different... enough of the "Bruce Lee On Ice" thing.
7. Carolina Kostner develops some actual personality on ice. (Right now she's just a terrific jumper with lovely lines.)
8. Abt wins Europeans (to make up for the year he was ripped off). Also, Abt stays healthy and injury-free.
9. Belbin & Agosto win Nats. and stand on the World podium.
10. Takeshi leaves the toilet paper at home; and for once, just ONCE in his career, Plushy wears a flattering costume that doesn't make him look like a clown on ice.

Lotta

On the Ice
I hope.....

That Michael Weiss doesn't get on the Nationals podium.

That Weir and Jahnke and Savoie and Smith and Goebel will knock him off there.

That Kwan gets a new exhibition number cuz, really, I'm sick and tired of FOG. Don't jump me for this, but I REALLY REALLY want her to have a new exhibition number.

That Yags will be healthy.

That Sale and Pelletier will be even MORE surprising and sexual on ice. ;)

That Joubert can have a bigger fluff piece. :p

That Shen and Zhao have another great season.

That Sokolova can be more artistic on the ice.

lavender

Record Breaker
Lotta I'm with cha. Big fan and FOG's a masterpiece and all but it's time to move on.

missflick

On the Ice
Yeah, I know

shine said:
Wow, that's really one heck of a wish considering the SC line-up for men...but I certainly wouldn't mind if that indeed happened
:cool:

I can dream, can't I? But I would be happy if he just medalled....:D

lavender

Record Breaker
aly*cutie, there's going to be 2 sets of gold medals awarded at Worlds? One for Michelle and one for Sasha.

First the Olympics and now worlds.:)

I know people are tired of MK but I would love it if she continues to improve artistically and technically add more to her programs. A steady build up to the Olympics would be nice if she plans on staying.

I know it's too much to ask for but I would love it if MK wins Nationals and Worlds. If she opts out I would like it to be Irina, Elena or Fumie to win worlds. I would like Angela to win silver if Michelle competes.

... Götterdämmerung for Kwan ...
I wanted to respond, Anke, but I couldn't figure out how to do those umlauts on my keyboard.

But that's OK, I know what it means. It means you want Michelle to skate to Wagner, portraying the ravishingly beautiful Valkyrie Brunhild riding triumphantly into Valhalla, right?

Mathman

shine

Record Breaker
That's a nice way of looking at things.

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I wanted to respond, Anke, but I couldn't figure out how to do those umlauts on my keyboard.

But that's OK, I know what it means. It means you want Michelle to skate to Wagner, portraying the ravishingly beautiful Valkyrie Brunhild riding triumphantly into Valhalla, right?

Mathman
Well, this wasn't quite exactly what I've meant, but so what? :D Kwan skating to Wagner - Kwan skating to Schönberg - Kwan skating to Motörhead, what difference does it make? I'm pretty sure she's consistant and versatile enough to do that certain spiral and grin to whatever-do-I-know ... :p

However, Mathman, I'm beginning to admire you more and more - you're obviously not only well versed in mathematics ... ;)

Anke

Last edited:

rtureck

Final Flight
Mathman said:

Forget about Wagner and Brunhild. I vote for JS Bach's Coffee Cantata, for Michelle's pairs debut.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/lutheranism/90337

http://www.afactor.net/kitchen/coffee/coffeeicons/coffee_mill0a.gif

A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems. Paul Erdos

PS: Sorry Mathman, I can't resist :D

Last edited:
Hey Anke, check this out: ä ö ü! :p

RTureck, speaking of Paul Erdös, did you know that he was the most prolific solver of mathematics problems of the twentieth century (even as Bach was the most prolific composer of the 18th, LOL -- wow, see how this all fits together?). He authored or co-authored 1401 mathematical papers, acoording to the Mathematical Reviews data base. The second place guy, one Drumi Bainov, has 782.

Erdös (this Hungarian name is pronounce Air-dish in English), wrote many joint papers. Every mathematician has what is known as an Erdös number, sort of like 6 degrees of separation:

If you are Erdös, your Erdös number is 0.
If you have written a joint paper with Erdös, your Erdös number is 1.
If you have written a joint paper with someone who has written a joint paper with Erdös, your Erdös number is 2, etc.

My Erdös number, BTW, is 3, LOL.

Erdös also published long lists of open problems in number theory and offered cash prizes for solutions, according to how difficult he thought they were. (I solved a $10 "Erdös problem once. In fact, it is related to the mathematical puzzle that GS poster emiC from the old board solved to win a birthday prize for Jenny Kirk, LOL)

He was also the nicest person you would ever want to meet. He died in 1996 at age 83, of a sudden heart attack as he was on his way to present yet another paper at a conference in Warsaw.

Mathman

PS. "That certain spiral and grin..." Ah, be still, my heart! You do have a way with words, Anke.

gezando

Final Flight
First my hopes: All skaters are healthy and have a blast

Mathman, about Wagner and Der Ring des Nielungen + the prologue Gotterdamerung, I am totally confused. There are a lot of
insects
and I don't count too well.

In Das Rheingold, we learn that Wotan is the King of the gods.

In Die Walkure is where the action starts.
Woton is the father of Siegmund, and Sieglinde - twins, I assume that Fricka - Queen of the goddesses is the mother of the twins
Woton is also the father of Brunhilde
Brunhilde's mother is Erda - goddess of the earth

So in Die Walkure, Sieglinde betrays her husband Hunding, and has a relationship with her twin brother. She is pregnant with Siegmund's child. Meanwhile Brunhilde - Siegmund and Sieglinde's half sister is punished by Woton for disobedience.

Marching onto Siegfried, and Gotterdamerung
Sieglinde gives birth to a son Siegfried. Siegfried later marries Brunhilde (his aunt?) Of course Siegfried betraye Brunhilde with Gutrune...... So it goes on and on.

Mathman, help, I can't do the math of counting insects

Originally posted by Germanice
I want ...

... Götterdämmerung

Oh well, it's impossible all my wishes to become true at the same time, but I deliberately mentioned as many as possible so that there's a slight chance that at least some of them ... did you hear that, Skating God?

Anke
[/QUOTE]

Germanice, you are wishing Gotterdamerung from the skating gods? Be careful what you wish for, the Skating gods may just grant your wish in ways that you can not even begin to imagine.

If I am not mistaken, you consider Yags or some of your favorite skaters approaching god status. Gotterdamerung indeed.... What if the skating gods grant your wishes.... Now, this is math I can do. Since I have nothing against your favorite skaters, I will go to the Skating Goddesss Shrine and light a few candles for your favorites, to escape the WRATH of skating gods. ;)

Last edited:

Lcp88

On the Ice
Lets see
I hope Johnny Weir wins Nationals and go's to Worlds. (Same for Michelle, but the compotition will be much tougher IMO)

I hope Brian Joubert and Sergei Davydov Medal at Worlds. (I can wish, right?)

I hope Mike Weiss gets better costumes. :) ;)

I hope Alexei Has a great season, without injuring his hip more.

I hope L&T at least go to Nationals, if not Worlds or GP events.

I hope Wing and Lowe Win Canadian Nats.

I Hope Jennifer Robinson places in the top 5.

I Hope at least 60% of the US pairs teams the go to National's STAY TOGETHER!

Laura