What did you call that jump? Why triksel? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What did you call that jump? Why triksel?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sure, but that's barely true in this case. The fact that it 'sounds cutesy' to some, doesn't actually make it 'cutesy' or sexist.
I don't know, the Russian word is perfectly normal and is used for both men and women :confused2: It's not diminutive or something, it's just 2 words combined in one.

In English it does sound and is cutesy and somewhat belittling - what my more dinosaur male relations call 'girly'. In Russian it's not. The joys of Babel... but if the discussion is in English I think it should be avoided.

Does "Quacksel" sound too cutesy/sexist/quacky to anyone? :biggrin:

Let's keep that when we're feeling mean and we want to liken someone to a duck on the ice :laugh2:

Back on topic...
I think it's just a matter of how much the skater trains a certain jump. Along with the 3A, Nathan has trained every quad through the lutz, so he obviously spends less time on that element than guys who do one or two quads.

Maybe, maybe not. Patrick spent years and many many hours working on it, and yet it was always quite literally his bete noir. And yet others picked it up smoothly, can do it with transitions out of nowhere.

Maybe the girls are a little leery - I was listening to Yuzu being interviewed by Kenji Miyamoto (Kenjo no Heya in 2015) where he says that once he got the 3A down pat, he lost the feeling for the 2A (in ice shows he nearly fell, maybe it's back now, who knows?). Kenji also tells about his brief fling with the 3A but "too difficult so I moved on to quads" :laugh: If the ladies decide they don't need the 3A and find it daunting to think of maybe losing both... maybe they prefer to stick to the easier triples. Or these days, follow Kenji.

Of all the jumps, it does seem to have the greatest mystique... at the minute, anyway.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Let's keep that when we're feeling mean and we want to liken someone to a duck on the ice :laugh2:

Frankly, it sounds croaky in Russian, but let's hope it will eventually liken frogs to figure skaters. :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Triksel is a ridiculous made-up word. I do not care about its etymology.

Use the correct terms for jumps/spins/elements. To do otherwise produces confusion. The correct term is triple Axel, or 3A for shorthand, as specified by the ISU. Not triksel, not 3Ax.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Use the correct terms for jumps/spins/elements. To do otherwise produces confusion. The correct term is triple Axel, or 3A for shorthand, as specified by the ISU. Not triksel, not 3Ax.

You wouldn’t last a day snap chatting/texting with the types of peeps I do :hpull:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You wouldn’t last a day snap chatting/texting with the types of peeps I do :hpull:

And if outsiders didn’t understand your peeps on a skating forum, what good would it do? :hpull:

Spousal unit and I have a meta language that would confuse everyone. Much of it based on the eight foreign (to us) languages we know between us. I don’t use it on public fora. :shrug:

And you all should be glad:biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And if outsiders didn’t understand your peeps on a skating forum, what good would it do? :hpull:

Spousal unit and I have a meta language that would confuse everyone. Much of it based on the eight foreign (to us) languages we know between us. I don’t use it on public fora. :shrug:

And you all should be glad:biggrin:

Please bring it....I’m always up for learning new lingo.

NGL....IBDFT ;)

Georgya

On the Ice

Where did 'trixsel'? come from? Horrible word... sounds like a cut-price candy that tastes of chemicals. As a lexiconophiliac, I firmly dislike and disapprove.

On the other hand, as a Yuzuru Hanyu and Yan Han fan I am equally firmly enamoured of the triple axel so the more male or female skaters that do them beautifully the better :) because when all is said and done axels are the most beautiful jumps of the lot.

I've skated for many years, and have never heard the 3A called this ever. And that is coming from an elite that during parts of my competitive career trained under some of the best former Soviet coaches.

This is ridiculous. Just call it what it is. TRIPLE AXEL! And if you want to abbreviate it...3A has always worked in the past.

I don't get why people are so outraged here because a poster dared to use a russian word. It may be a made up word but russians are useing it in articles and forums pretty often to discuss this particular jump. I mean flutz, another made up word used pretty often on this forum, sounds funny and weird to us non native english speakers. I searched for his meaning and didn't make a fuss about it. Plus, the thread's title contains the actual name of the jump so I don't understand why people are so hung up on this word.

Now to the actual discussion. I'm curious if Alena said something in her interviews before and after the test skate about training the 3A curently. And what is Sasha's situation with this jump. Also, did Akatieva learn 3A in Eteri's group?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
When you change what a jump is called it English, there is usually the implication that there was something wrong about the jump...hence flutz and lip.

More to the point, it is fairly common to use Waxel for a very badly done Axel. There is even a podcast named Flutzes and Waxels.

Plus, the Axel is named to honor Axel Paulsen, the jump's originator. I would feel disrespectful to the originator of my favorite jump, if I changed the name of the jump.

Sad to say, the most memorable triple Axels done by women for me were those done by Midori Ito and Tonya Harding.

It is also sad that the best pair throw triple Axel I ever remember was that done by Inoue & Baldwin at the 2006 Olympics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oj6ThWhSC4
(The first one done at an Olympics.). It does not get enough points.

The forward takeoff is quite treacherous, and since the Axel is the only jump that is generally done with a forward takeoff, there is no alternative way to approach it.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Triksel is a fun name. At least shorter and easier to pronounce than Toripuruakuseru.
It's fun. I don't get the outrage. Even if i prefer the true name.

Georgya

On the Ice
When you change what a jump is called it English, there is usually the implication that there was something wrong about the jump...hence flutz and lip.

More to the point, it is fairly common to use Waxel for a very badly done Axel. There is even a podcast named Flutzes and Waxels.

Plus, the Axel is named to honor Axel Paulsen, the jump's originator. I would feel disrespectful to the originator of my favorite jump, if I changed the name of the jump.

Sad to say, the most memorable triple Axels done by women for me were those done by Midori Ito and Tonya Harding.

It is also sad that the best pair throw triple Axel I ever remember was that done by Inoue & Baldwin at the 2006 Olympics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oj6ThWhSC4
(The first one done at an Olympics.). It does not get enough points.

The forward takeoff is quite treacherous, and since the Axel is the only jump that is generally done with a forward takeoff, there is no alternative way to approach it.

When we are calling here Rittberger Loop (also more common in north america than russia) I don't think someone can acusse we are being disrespectfull to Werner Rittberger. :laugh: At the end of the day it's just a name, a convention, if we can understand each other we should be more accepting and tolerant of other people ways of expressing themselves.:pray:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When we are calling here Rittberger Loop (also more common in north america than russia) I don't think someone can acusse we are being disrespectfull to Werner Rittberger. :laugh: At the end of the day it's just a name, a convention, if we can understand each other we should be more accepting and tolerant of other people ways of expressing themselves.:pray:

But the loop is the correct name for the jump as specified by the ISU.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m not sure about outrage but the term triksel is annoying. It looks like trickle and sounds like tricycle. And the use of ks for the x sound is puzzling since axel uses the x. Hopefully, it will never become a commonly used term.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I mean flutz, another made up word used pretty often on this forum, sounds funny and weird to us non native english speakers. I searched for his meaning and didn't make a fuss about it. Plus, the thread's title contains the actual name of the jump so I don't understand why people are so hung up on this word.

I've heard flutz since at least 1997, when commentators used it to describe/criticize Tara's lutz after she defeated Michelle at Worlds.

I'm not crazy about Triksel, but I think I could get onboard if we started using Quack Cow to refer to the 4S.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's another example (as we had a while back where an English expression was misinterpreted to the point of report) of the difficulties in taking colloquialisms from one language to another.

Maybe the subject line should be amended, and all the linguistic discussion (which I absolutely love, because as I said, lexiconophiliac me) moved to a new thread or that one we had a while back where an English expression got misunderstood?

Then people can actually discuss the, err, triple axel.

That is the point. IDC if one likes it or not, you say this around a figure skater, esp of elite status and they will laugh at you or roll their eyes and more than likely lose respect that you called it that. It's just rude to call a jump some name that's non-existent. It pokes fun at all the sacrifices and work it takes to get to the level that many here like to talk about and claim to be fans of. Respect the sport or don't watch.

Err... that's going just a little, tiny, 3 million miles too far. Language is what it is, it changes all the time, and English is what it is, a language that lurks in dark alleys beats up other languages and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary (to paraphrase). For all we know, what we use could get rolled eyes in the future and trixsel could become the norm (even if I personally don't like it).

Oh, and using an expression in affection and love is NOT disrespectful. I don't think I would respect the professionals you interact with who would treat it as such.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
People use Sal for Salchow. Is it disrespectful to mr. Ulrich?

I tend to hear "sow" more often as a shortform. It's a bit weird to call it a trixel, since it's a portmanteau of both words, whereas you'd always hear "triple sow".

Ulrich should be happy that it's still stuck around! Poor Werner Rittberger, getting his jump replaced with "Loop"! :p

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I tend to hear "sow" more often as a shortform. It's a bit weird to call it a trixel, since it's a portmanteau of both words, whereas you'd always hear "triple sow".

Ulrich should be happy that it's still stuck around! Poor Werner Rittberger, getting his jump replaced with "Loop"! :p

we should restrict the shortenings! those are not official. Sow and sal sound weird, let's banish all non-official names alltogether :devil:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
we should restrict the shortenings! those are not official. Sow and sal sound weird, let's banish all non-official names alltogether :devil:

I'm all for banning sow, given its less than appropriate (or flattering) other and existing meaning....