What do you see when you drive to skating? | Golden Skate

What do you see when you drive to skating?

L

lil icesk8er915

What do you see when you drive to skating? A strange house, a cool landmark? When I drive to skating, I see a motocross course and a little shack that's almost blown over for example! What kind of things do you see?

L

lilicedancer

Re: What do you see when you drive to skating?

Depends on which rink I'm headed to. They're both about 45 minutes away, so I see loads. On the way to one, I see a Budweiser factory, paintball place, and the magic mountain theme park. On the way to the other I see the Disney studios and a Chinese resturant named Wok of Fame. I also see loads of concrete. Ahh, the beauty of freeways...

C

Cinderella On Ice

Unfortunately, my view to the rink is not as exciting as my view to work every day (the lake, trees, many flowers).

Fortunately, my trip is only about 7 minutes long (!) which means I get there faster. From work, I see mostly one story businesses, a factory, and some cute little train tracks. From home, I see the usual strip malls (Target/WalMart/Borders/Chili's) and then the town's main train station and the same factory.

Not to exciting, I admit, but my blood always gets pumping as I get nearer to the rink, knowing I'm about to be SKATING! :D

S

sk8er1964

Hi all - just been a lurker lately, but I had to post on this one.

From my home to my club rink, I pass a compost facility, a landfill, a model plane airport and two women's prisons. I love giving directions -- turn left at the first prison etc!! (Believe it or not, there are simply hoards of $500,000 houses going up all around this area).

F

Figureskates

I can walk..

Through church parking lot, by a small stream, across a park right to the rink....not bad. When it is below zero, I walk very, very briskly!!

M

megsk8z

Right now I see many, many people working very hard to set up for the US Open golf tournament. They're going to close that road during the Open (no free peeks at Tiger evidently) so my drive will be a teeny bit longer during Open time.

L

lil icesk8er915

Figureskates, that's cool that you get to walk to skating! Megz, wow! A golf open! That's pretty cool you guys! Thanks for replying to my post! :D

R

RoaringSkates

What I see

Like others have mentioned, it depends on which rink I'm driving to. Usually, I see lots of traffic and trucks. However, no matter the rink, I always cross a large bridge over a river with a view of NYC, so that's pretty cool.

S

skaterskickbutt

Re: What I see

well, since my rink is in down town Houston,Tx, I see a whole lot! It takes me 45 min to get there. Mainly, car wreck after car wreck after car wreck! lol! Not to mention Psalm trees on the side roads, and all the Huge buildings.
Nothing like a little stream! lol!
I wish!Oh and the Houston Hobby Airport .
The rink is by a TGIF Friday's , a Pizza Hut, a Mall, and Huge Office Buildings surrounding it.

R

rachelstarlet

I actually hate my drive to the rink - it begins in my nice country-ish neighborhood and goes 30 minutes into the heart of suburban traffic hell. So I see a lot, mostly just your usual lovely retail establishments like Old Navy and Barnes and Noble along with lots and lots of cars and stop lights. The rink itself is set back from the road a bit, next to a community college.

Next year in college I will have to take the bus to the rink :( so that should be interesting. Except in wintertime, when I can walk to the downtown outdoors rink in about 15 minutes (I think), for which I already have a skating pass - great graduation present! Woohoo!

L

lil icesk8er915

WOW! You guys have put a lot of interest in my post! Thank you! You guys have such interesting sites to see! Thanks again you guys! :D

G

Glacierskater

Hee hee...I like this topic! Sometimes I don't see. Sometimes I am so fixated on my skating...thinking about new moves, programs, or listening to music for skating that I never remember the drive.

When I do pay attention, I see cows, fields, flowers, a nice neighborhood that I would like to move to, as it is close to the rink, and a small municipal airport. AND, on the way in I see ROSES! They have planted to roses outside of our rink (it is a center that has been a great gift to the community that serves more than just skating). Each plant has the type of rose, and it is dedicated to a person. When the breeze blows the scent fills the air. I have to stop and smell the roses. Every single plant. It makes me happy to be alive.

AMENDMENT:
After I had replied to this post, I realized that there was something that I missed as I was driving to practice the other day...I also see lush rolling Ozark Mountains. The landscape here is so beautiful, I just had to mention that. I am so lucky to live here, and I am so lucky to skate where I do. We have a beautiful, clean facility that is a true gift to the community.