What Figure Skater Should Taylor Swift Date? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What Figure Skater Should Taylor Swift Date?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For those who are interested in the Queen's English (Victoria), as CaroLiza_fan alludes the word "soccer" means "asSOCiation football. That is a "soccer" was a person who played association football. But some time in the 1860s a youthful soccer at the Rugby School in Rugby, Warwickshire, picked up the ball and ran with it across the goal line. Sportmen who went along with such an outlandish trick were called "Ruggers." :)

Sorry that I didn't explain the terminology. I never thought.

Although nobody ever uses the full name "Association Football", I used it in that post for consistency, because I wanted to show the way that the word "football" appears in all the names. And "soccer football" just sounded weird! :laugh:

And, as ever, I have learnt something from you. I didn't realise that the word "soccer" actually referred to the player. I always assumed it was just an abbreviation of "Association Football", and that it came about because people were too lazy to use the full seven syllables when they could get away with just using two! :p

The things you learn on a figure skating forum...

CaroLiza_fan

As for American football, it's big contribution is the forward pass. By the first decade of the twentieth century football as played in high schools and colleges in the United States had become increasingly violent,resul;ting in on-field deaths (18 in 1905), fractured skulls, gouged out eyes, etc. U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt, whose son was a footballer at Harvard, gave out an edict that football would be banned if they didn’t come up with a way to make the sport safer. The forward pass had been thrown a time or two by enterprising footballers, but it was disparaged as a sissy play in this manly man’s sport.

The forward pass was popularized by the legendary “Pop” Warner, coach of the Carlisle (Pa.) Indian Industrial School, which was part of the U.S. effort in those days to turn Indian boys into white men. Warner’s student-athletes tended to be smaller and faster than the boys on the Ivy League teams, so he relied on trick plays. He passed opponents silly, In 1907 the Carlisle Indians outscored their opponents 148-11 through their first six games, then squared off against the mighty powerhouse the University of Pennsylvania, unbeaten and unscored on.

Carlisle completed 8 of 16 passes, including one thrown by the soon-to-be Olympic track-and-field phenomenon Jim Thorpe, and won 26 to 6. (Our boy Travis Kelce is eternally thankful ;) )

Last edited:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I think English football is called rugby.
Malheureux! What do they teach them at these schools?
I'm from a French broad region/world nicknamed Ovalie (from the shape of the Rugby ball), that's to give you an idea of the importance of the game. There's even a joke. A local goes to the gendarmerie (rural police station) and says that he's seen an UFO.
- When and where was it, and what did it look like?
- It was Sunday afternoon, over the stadium, and it looked a bit like a Rugby ball, except that it was round.
Rugby is a full-fledged game, played not only in England (its name does come from the Rugby School) but also in Scotland (there are T-shirts with a Scottish flag saying "I support two teams: Scotland and those who play against England"), Wales, Ireland (where the 13 players version is frequent too), France and Italy, the Six Nations. It's really a big thing! Way more popular than Figure Skating although many regret the amateur times. Sorry, I'm by far out of topic.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Soccer may be the most popular, doesn't really matter to me about Travis and Taylor one way or the other.

But I must contest that it is "real" football, at least linguistically, (and you may not have meant it that way, so I apologize for the diversion) in English.

Google tells me there are 370 million native English speakers worldwide. Google tells me 270 of those native English speakers live in the US. Google tells that 18 million of those native English speakers live in Australia and 30 million in Canada. Both Australia and Canada, from what I see looking at their official sports organizations, call the game that Megan Rapinoe and Julie Ertz play "soccer".

Therefore, 85 percent of the native English speakers worldwide call it soccer. I understand that football can be Canadian rules or Australian rules in those countries, and therefore American football is used to distinguish the type of football, but it is still football.

If I am speaking in French, I will of course say le football. "Julie Ertz joue au football". But in English, "Julie Ertz plays soccer and her husband Zach Ertz plays football". At least if I want to use the word as native Anglophones use it. (and I am not using French to direct at you, but because it is non-English language I know best. And not nearly as well as you know English ;) )

Language geeking out, off topic done:biggrin:
ermmm... It is not that simple in my part of the world. Football was used for both Canadian and American football. Australian football of course exists but no, it is not really part of any discussion. Soccer was used by both francophones and anglophones. Soccer was barely ever practiced in this ice hockey nation. About 20 years ago, with the huge international stars that "soccer' produced, people started to make a distinction. When I talk about football nowadays, it's really referring to "soccer" :) or "real football" :)

I never really talk about NFL football.. but when discussing CFL football, my friends and I (I felt it was time to bring my friends back to this discussion) call it Canadian Football.. I guess that some people who still don't care for "real" football may just call it football still... but my friends and I watch both and we make the distinction ;)

Christine Sinclair is the best woman football international scorer of all times :)

PS I love rugby but I don't call it rugby... I call it Sevens :)

ETA : The FED... calls "real football" SOCCER Canada... but none of my friends are responsible for that non-sense ;)

Last edited:
It is easy to see why the two British sports called soccer and rugby spread all over the world in the nineteeth century. England spread all over the world in the nineteenth century, ruling or "having a significant presence" in the territories of some 94 modern countries. It is not an accident that the most successful rugby countries historically are New Zealand and Sounth Africa.

As for "football," I agree with CaroLiza_fan's view. Only Association Football (soccer) deserves to be called football, because it is the only sport that is based on controling the ball with your feet.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It is easy to see why the two British sports called soccer and rugby spresd all over the world in the nineteeth century. England spread all over the world in the nineteenth century, ruling or "having a significant presence" in the territories of some 94 modern countries. It is not an accident that the most successful rugby countries historically are New Zealand and Sounth Africa.
Of course. This is why, Canada, one of the biggest countries of the Commonwealth, is a hockey nation :) or India... or.. yeah.. I will stop there :)

"soccer" is huge in Spanish speaking countries. It is also quite popular in African countries, many of which were colonized by the French.

As for "football," I agree with CaroLiza_fan's view. Only Association Football (soccer) deserves to be called football, because it is the only sport that is based on controling the ball with your feet.
I agree with this too. Football well should be reserved to a sport that is played with the feet on the ball. American football is a tragedy in semantics.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why is it still called figure skating in the Olympics?
ermmm... It is not that simple in my part of the world. Football was used for both Canadian and American football. Australian football of course exists but no, it is not really part of any discussion. Soccer was used by both francophones and anglophones. Soccer was barely ever practiced in this ice hockey nation. About 20 years ago, with the huge international stars that "soccer' produced, people started to make a distinction. When I talk about football nowadays, it's really referring to "soccer" :) or "real football" :)

I never really talk about NFL football.. but when discussing CFL football, my friends and I (I felt it was time to bring my friends back to this discussion) call it Canadian Football.. I guess that some people who still don't care for "real" football may just call it football still... but my friends and I watch both and we make the distinction ;)

Christine Sinclair is the best woman football international scorer of all times :)

PS I love rugby but I don't call it rugby... I call it Sevens :)

ETA : The FED... calls "real football" SOCCER Canada... but none of my friends are responsible for that non-sense ;)

Thank you, I have learned something, I did not know soccer was ever used by Francophones. I still would not use it (ETA: in French) to speak of Julie Ertz. ;)

And of course, you and your friends (yes, I see what you did there, I think :) ) should use whatever terms you want. I am speaking about a more general audience. Let me talk about my best friend.

Spousal Unit is the very antithesis of the boorish American stereotype. Highly educated, fluent in three languages other than English, reading knowledge of three more, etc. etc. Lived in England for two years and is familiar with British English (lived in Italy for four)

He knows nothing about sports. He doesn't know who Jason Brown is. 😭He doesn't know who Jason Kelce or Travis Kelce are. Does not know, does not care.

So, in communicating with him, and you (universal you, not you personally. In French, I would use "on") care about whether he or the majority of the native English speaking world understands you, if you say "Athlete X plays football", athlete X is tossing around an oval shaped ball, scoring touchdowns, and kicking field goals. Or else you don't care if he understands you.:laugh:

Either way is cool.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Why is it still called figure skating in the Olympics?
Not in French :)
Thank you, I have learned something, I did not know soccer was ever used by Francophones. I still would not use it to speak of Julie Ertz. ;)

And of course, you and your friends (yes, I see what you did there, I think :) ) should use whatever terms you want. I am speaking about a more general audience. Let me talk about my best friend.

Spousal Unit is the very antithesis of the boorish American stereotype. Highly educated, fluent in three languages other than English, reading knowledge of three more, etc. etc. Lived in England for two years and is familiar with British English (lived in Italy for four)

He knows nothing about sports. He doesn't know who Jason Brown is. 😭He doesn't know who Jason Kelce or Travis Kelce are. Does not know, does not care.

So, in communicating with him, and you (universal you, not you personally. In French, I would use "on") care about whether he or the majority of the native English speaking world understands you, if you say "Athlete X plays football", athlete X is tossing around an oval shaped ball, scoring touchdowns, and kicking field goals. Or else you don't care if he understands you.:laugh:

Either way is cool.
nobody is perfect i guess :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course. This is why, Canada, one of the biggest country of the Commonwealth is a hockey nation :) or India... or.. yeah.. I will stop there :)

"soccer" is huge in Spanish speaking countries. It is also quite popular in African countries, many of which were colonized by the French.

I agree with this too. Football well should be reserved to a sport that is played with the feet on the ball. American football is a tragedy in semantics.

So let's make this discussion semi-relevant....

Should native English speakers just learn to say "artistic skating"? What are figures anyway ;)

...or India....
I think I am remembering correctly that when India joined the ISU (2002?) the country had 4 ice skating rinks, all former recreation facilities constructed for homesick British military officers during the Raj. (Now they have 9, more than doubling the presence of the sport.)

But as for calling figure skating "artistic skating" in English, that would bring on a never ending debate about whether figure skating is art. ;)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But as for calling figure skating "artistic skating" in English, that would bring on a never ending debate about whether figure skating is art.
I think we both know that calling something artistic doesn't make it art. The real (at this point)question in THIS thread (enough already with that other one) is :
Is figure skating still an appropriate way to call a sport that threw away figures? Or should it be called artistic skating like it is in many other languages?

Let me guess : if Americans want to call football, a sport where the true focus is definitely not kicking a ball with one's foot, they can still call Figure skating as such, a sport where the true focus is definitely not on figures.

Of course. This (colonial expansiveby England in the 19th century) is why, Canada, one of the biggest countries of the Commonwealth, is a hockey nation.
Wikipedia puts it this way:

"The origin of ice hockey was bandy, a game that has its roots in the Middle Ages. Just as for practically all other sports, the game of bandy achieved its modern form during the 19th century in England, more exactly in the Fen district on the East coast. From the Fen district the game was spread to London and from London to the Continent during the second half of the 19th century. British soldiers stationed in eastern Canada brought the game to the North American continent in the 1850s and '60s. "

By the way, in many countries and languages "hockey" means field hockey .The official governinmg body for field hockey is the Fédération Internationale de Hockey.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wikipedia puts it this way:

"The origin of ice hockey was bandy, a game that has its roots in the Middle Ages. Just as for practically all other sports, the game of bandy achieved its modern form during the 19th century in England, more exactly in the Fen district on the East coast. From the Fen district the game was spread to London and from London to the Continent during the second half of the 19th century. British soldiers stationed in eastern Canada brought the game to the North American continent in the 1850s and '60s. "

By the way, in many countries and languages "hockey" means field hockey .The official governinmg body for field hockey is the Fédération Internationale de Hockey.
and yet, wiki also says the game probably originated from the Netherlands and was originally played on frozen football fields and here, we are talking about real football :) :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
More about hockey's history. Not from wiki this time :)

The first organized ice hockey game, according to the International Ice Hockey Federation, was played on March 3, 1875, between two teams of nine men each from Montreal’s Victoria Skating Club. But there’s evidence organized games were played earlier in the century in Canada and the United States, Pritchard says.

In the 1875 game, the teams played using a flat, wooden block—a cousin of the modern puck made of vulcanized rubber—“so that it should slide along the ice without rising, and thus going among spectators to their discomfort,” the Montreal Star reported. Previously, the game often was played with a wooden or rubber ball.

Although ice hockey did not originate in Canada, it became one of the country’s national sports. In the late 19th century, organized leagues formed in Canada, where rules for the sport evolved—including the size of the net and number of players on ice at one time (six per team with a goaltender). Canadian rules, including the use of a rubber puck, eventually were adopted worldwide.

So what we know as hockey has murky origins, but the version that is wide-spread now, with the rubber puck, came from Canada.