What if Yu-Na had won? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

What if Yu-Na had won?

CarneAsada

Medalist
I thought Mafke's statement meant that snatching the gold medal from around Kim's neck was a trial balloon on Putin's part. When there was no outcry from world leaders, this emboldened Putin to invade Crimea.

If Kim had won, Korea, full of patriotic fervor, would have invaded the Sankaku Islands.
Korea doesn't even claim the Senkaku Islands...

observe

Rinkside
Does Russia claim Ukraine? ;)

Russians love their Crimea, so yes, and your reference to Senkaku is very off since it is a Chinese-Japanese issue.

If Yuna Kim had won, South Koreans would have again thought positively of reunification with North when they saw her gala performance.

usethis2

Medalist
IMHO, "And without any help either..." is meant to be a self-deprecating humor. lolol. If not that, then perhaps it was a Freudian slip. :biggrin:

Either way, a good laugh. Though I only got to read it via quote due to my ignore list.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Does Russia claim Ukraine? ;)

Russians love their Crimea, so yes, and your reference to Senkaku is very off since it is a Chinese-Japanese issue.

If Yuna Kim had won, South Koreans would have again thought positively of reunification with North when they saw her gala performance.
Does North Korea know of the existence of Yuna Kim? Now I'm curious. :biggrin:

jehan215

On the Ice
Does North Korea know of the existence of Yuna Kim? Now I'm curious. :biggrin:

I'm thinking they probably do? Apparently she was featured in their preview clip of the Olympics on North Korean TV. They didn't mention her in detail, but putting her in the clip instead of some other athlete does give a hint that they know about her.

peg

Medalist
I'm thinking they probably do? Apparently she was featured in their preview clip of the Olympics on North Korean TV. They didn't mention her in detail, but putting her in the clip instead of some other athlete does give a hint that they know about her.
Do they know she's not North Korean? :p

jehan215

On the Ice
I meant, do the North Koreans know she's not one of their own? Or at least not yet.

Of course they know she's not one of them. If she was, they would adore/idolize her - probably more than how South Korea adores her now. And if there was bias judging like we have now, Russia would have triggered unmeasurable rage from North Korea :p

Mafke

Medalist
If Kim had won, Korea, full of patriotic fervor, would have invaded the Sankaku Islands.

If Kim won, we'd be calling it the East Sea (instead of Sea of Japan)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_of_japan#Naming_dispute

and would be now spelling Korea as Corea (so that Corea could take it's rightful place ahead of Japan in the alphabet)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Korea#English_usage

If Kostner had won...

I dunno.... Italy would invade Corsica and Malta?

EricRohmer

On the Ice
This angle is the best angle for appreciating how Kim's performance incorporates elements of Epic poetry.

1. Epic works start in medias res. The Aeneid begins with Aeneas fleeing the burning city of Troy; it does not begin by telling the story of Aeneas' birth and childhood. In similar fashion, Kim's starting pose shows her ready to burst into movement. Her cut starts in the middle of the piece Adios Nonino, not at the beginning. She does not take a slow, plodding start but instead is already streaking down the rink.
2. The setting is grand in scope and the work is larger than life. The setting of Kim's free skate is nothing less than the grand stage of the Sochi Olympics, and her work is truly larger than life. She speeds across the ice, and one need only see the scale of Adelina Sotnikova's performance to recognise the grand scale of Adios Nonino.
3. Epic works tend to have epic catalogues, where multitudes of warriors, armies, and the like are listed to show the grandiosity of the events. Kim's footwork sequence is an Epic Catalogue in the truest sense of the word, showing turns and steps of all kinds being reeled off for the viewer to recognise the splendour, the grand setting, the gravity of the work.
4. The style is sustained, and in the truest, most epic works (those of Homer), it is eminently noble, eminently rapid, and eminently direct. Kim's Adios Nonino is noble in that she does not involve herself in such sordid matters as playing to the audience for cheers, whistles, or clapping to the beat. She blows no kisses and does not wave her hands, but lets her free skate speak for itself. Kim's Adios Nonino is rapid in that after seven crossovers, she can move from one end of the rink to the other in a mere ten seconds. Kim's Adios Nonino is direct in that her movements are clear and crisp. Her steps and transitions are easily seen by the audience. These epic, Homeric traits are consistently maintained throughout the course of Kim's free skate. It stands in stark contrast to Adelina's free skate, which is eminently vulgar, eminently slow, and eminently abstruse and laboured. The free skate of Carolina Kostner maintains rapidity and directness but fails to fully maintain nobility. The free skate of Julia Lipnitskaya displays nobility and directness, but not rapidity.
5. Epic works often contain deeds of great valour or courage. What deed could show more valour than skating last after one knows the gold medal has been pre-ordered and, with Sotnikova's skate, the deal has been closed?
6. Finally, at the end of the epic, life moves on. Adios Nonino is often thought of as a tribute to the composer's dead father. After Kim finishes skating, her life moves on. She does not play dead or mime herself being stabbed or gutted. She simply turns, folds her arms, and finishes her tale. What follows is for the audience to decide...

CarneAsada, thank you sincerely for the great post.

PftJump

On the Ice
Yuna ruined everything planned.

Yuna must not be on the Podium ("the record" must be stopped), not just off the OGM.

Figure skating Mafia hate Yuna, definetely.

ahy

Final Flight
http://hashmi1212.tumblr.com/post/78416038959

SBS/KBS/MBC (one of them) backstage broadcasting staff writes a backstory to the gold ceremony.

" Yuna cried alot back stage. That’s why the flower ceremony was pulled back some time."

' Figure Queen” Yuna KIm (24) who seemed calm as ever after the Ladies singles free program on camera, cried alot backstage, according to a staff member's diary entry.

On the third, a staff member wrote his/her experience at the Sochi games as a staff with a title
” Yuna Kim in the end was just another young girl.”

A broadcast staff who was sent to Sochi for the Olympics explained that Yuna Kim was extremely emotional after the free program.

'A' wrote, ” The ladies figures skating was a heart breaking event.”
” Skater Yuna Kim cried a lot backstage causing the flower ceremony to be delayed a bit so she could calm herself.”

'A' explained that many people already sensed that Yuna would be given unfair scores in from the day of short program.

'A' wrote ” Yuna's staff, and even skaters from other countries explained they already knew what was going to happen,” and ” no matter what they were not going to give Yuna the gold. They (the judges) were going to give Russia the gold at whatever cost.”

The one sided audience members, and the favoritism of the judges were expected by the staff, but even then, Yuna performed two clean programs and left the stage in smiles. ‘A’ expressed his awe.

'A' went on to say ” even through all of the unfair circumstances I'm just so thankful that Yuna performed her best with clean programs. After seeing her crying loudly backstage, then seeing her in smiles right as she left for the flower ceremony made me want to cry for her. Yuna's mother crid alot. After Yuna's press conference, even after the cameras were off, Yuna made sure to pass on her greetings to each broadcasting members and took pictures with us.”

After this was uploaded, netizens commented
” Yuna…!! all of the articles that are coming up about you makes me want to cry”
” Yuna Kim thank you for performing clean programs and for acting so maturely about the whole mess.”
” I didn’t even imagine that you were actually so upset about the results because you were in smiles on camera. I know it hurts, but our nation will always be rooting for you.”

Yuna, i really admire how classy and humble you are, even though you knew that the judging wasn't fair already after the sp, you tried your very very very best and delivered 2 clean programs again.
P.S. I never knew that the flower ceremony delayed and because yuna needs time to calm down...I felt heartbroken again :'( Acting so calm in front of the camera is not an easy job. Thank you, Yuna :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yesterday's posts in this thread re: invasion of the Crimea and other political (or semi-political) comments were very inappropriate IMO, even if they were only meant jokingly.

People have been killed/injured in Ukraine. Lives have been turned upside down. Physical violence aside, VK pages relating to the protests have been blocked, which should be of concern to anyone who values free speech. Free speech is, after all, the reason we've all been able to express our feelings about the Olys judging and its results on these boards. And if you need a skating connection to take this seriously, keep in mind that Oksana Baiul is Ukranian and other Russian skaters could easily have family and friends there.

What's happening in Ukraine right now is real and frightening and there's just nothing funny about it.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Yesterday's posts in this thread re: invasion of the Crimea and other political (or semi-political) comments were very inappropriate IMO, even if they were only meant jokingly.

People have been killed/injured in Ukraine. Lives have been turned upside down. Physical violence aside, VK pages relating to the protests have been blocked, which should be of concern to anyone who values free speech. Free speech is, after all, the reason we've all been able to express our feelings about the Olys judging and its results on these boards. And if you need a skating connection to take this seriously, keep in mind that Oksana Baiul is Ukranian and other Russian skaters could easily have family and friends there.

What's happening in Ukraine right now is real and frightening and there's just nothing funny about it.

... and I wonder if Tatiana V is feeling conflicted right now, she's Ukrainian and just brought Russia major double gold. I can't imagine how everyone must be feeling about the whole thing.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
... and I wonder if Tatiana V is feeling conflicted right now, she's Ukrainian and just brought Russia major double gold. I can't imagine how everyone must be feeling about the whole thing.

Thanks for mentioning Tatiana -- forgot all about her! :bang: