What is the Difference between Davis/White and Virtue/Moir | Golden Skate

What is the Difference between Davis/White and Virtue/Moir

Both teams have gone from top 10 to top 5 to top podium.

Both teams have the same coach/choreographer.

What is it that makes them different from each other?

To answer my own question, I would say that D/W takes the choreographer's work without input from themselves; and V/M put a lot of themselves into the choreography. So we are not seeing the same choreographed performances. They are performances and not PCscores, and as far as Tech scores go, I just don't know anything about them except for mishaps.

What would be your opinion on what makes the two teams different?

Antilles

Medalist
I love both teams. I think V&M show a deeper connection to each other on the ice and to the music, D&W have better twizzles, but they are otherwise quite evenly matched.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
They have very diffrent styles but do share many of the Same strengths and qualities. Both have great connection to the music, Virtue and Moir exceling here. Davis and White have amazing speed that carries into their lifts. Davis and White have a more daring dangerous quality to their skating that forces us to watch while Virtue and Moir glide along with the ease of a prima ballerina at the barre.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
Davis and White are merely skaters whose every step and turn is done at the request of the choreographer's without any emotion or feeling behind it. They're good at grabbing every single point there is to grab but boring to watch. They should be grateful for the COP system.

V/M take choreography and make it more or less their own. I think the times they skate so well is because they enjoy doing it. I like Zoueva's quote- "The majority of ice dancers today imitate dance, but Virtue/Moir actually dance."

Last edited:

npa

Match Penalty
I think difference is that V-M will retiement soon and then all could be happy with D-W gold medals.
If to be seriose - V-M is classy dancers, with beautifull lines, postures. In this team very strong patner - he is very strong emotionally and technicalle. If you watch there skating "life", they have there own skating style - very close positions, they skate very easy.

D-W have big speed, very difficult FD (V-M have difficult FD too, but in another way). Marina give them very musical programs, wich must be very emotional. But i feel, like they are not really emotional in theer programs, especially Charlie. Charlie is super-strong skater, but i think he isnt so strong patner, like Scott is. And for me they look, like skate too single skaters and did very difficult elements. They could work on there emotionals, but only if judges will not give them all gold from this WCh untill 2014 OG. If they will - Meryl-Charlie didnt need change anything in there skating.

Last edited:

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Does the physical appearance matter more in ice dancing than in any other discipline?
I don't know much about dancing, so to me, V/M blend as one when they are on, not just because of their dancing skills, but because physically they are such an attractive couple.

Not saying D/W is not so, but to be completely frank, they look more like little kids, trying hard to imitate grown up couples.
(Are they shorter than most? Why do they look so small to me?)

Perhaps it is a terrible way of judging dancing, and I apologize if any D/W fan is offended.
But I want to know if anyone shares my view on this one.

I think that Davis and White have an energic, razz-ma-tazz, Broadway style. I have seen them in exhibitions and shows as well as in competition, and Charlie especially is all about "There's no business like show business!"

I do agree on the artistic maturity point. Tessa and Scott have always been a year or two ahead of Meryl and Charlie both in the apparent depth of emotion of their performances and in the sheer ballroom effect (where Virtue and Moir have no peer, in my opinion.) However, as a Davis and White fan, to me that is neither here nor there. Virtue and Moir are at their peak, while Davis and White are still growing in their craft.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Davis and White dazzle you with their effort. The sheer daring of their moves. The speed and attack.

Virtue and Moir impress with their effortlessness. They float and glide through their complex maneuvers as easily as you and I breathe. They transport you to another world. At their best, they never seem to be skating programs, but simply moving spontaneously in a world of their own making.

To me, it's the difference between K2 and Mount Everest. In the end, they dwarf everyone else and together make a strong case for ice dancing being the best it's ever been.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Virtue/Moir are more classic, pure, balletic, lyrical, indeepth, natural, charming, and even more prettier, while Davis/White are more dramatic, up beating, and modern. I love both of them, but prefer V/M's style more.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
This Olympics was sorely missing the real Delobel & Schoenfelder.

V/M and D/W do not have their maturity and their programs are less organic.

I wish Isabelle Delobel hadn't gotten pregnant. Damn that baby! :p

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm a fan of both teams , and agree with much that has been said so far by mathman and imaginarypogue If I can relate the couples to ballet for a moment , V/M are sort of like the ballerina/ premier danseur , while D/W are more like the couple who is given a virtuoso divertissement in the third act :biggrin:The director knows they'll garner bravos but may not be quite ready to let them carry the whole ballet.

I think appearance is important, Tessa and Scott are very similar proportionally , while Charlie and Meryl have a bit of compensating to do . Her legs are a bit shorter in comparison to her height than his are to his height . There is also a greater difference height-wise between D/W than V/M ( but not a huge amount ).This makes it a bit more difficult to achieve a matched line. So while I love their (D/W's) speed ,sometimes I wonder if it's not in part to compensate for this.

I feel sure we'll see even greater things from D/W ..and I'm not sure we've seen V/M's peak yet..

:love::love::love: for both.

Last edited:
It's nice to read the posters while not saying it specifically, are talking about Lyrical and Bravura performances. Both are valid, and the approach is your choice as the music dictates.

KKonas

Medalist
Both teams have gone from top 10 to top 5 to top podium.

Both teams have the same coach/choreographer.

What is it that makes them different from each other?

To answer my own question, I would say that D/W takes the choreographer's work without input from themselves; and V/M put a lot of themselves into the choreography. So we are not seeing the same choreographed performances. What would be your opinion on what makes the two teams different?

Totally disagree with this statement. Both teams have input into their choreo, but have distinctly different styles. V&M are "strictly ballroom" where as D&W are more like "SYTYCD" pushing the envelope. Some like one style more than the other. Both are good.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I agree with what everyone else has said, especially that Virtue and Moir show a lot more emotion and connection between them in the performances.

Meryl and Charlie seem to be unmatched in body type which may take away from a good visual effect. She's lanky and thin and he's kind of squarish-roundish even though he's not at all fat.

Both teams are amazing though!

mishieru07

On the Ice
Davis and White are merely skaters whose every step and turn is done at the request of the choreographer's without any emotion or feeling behind it. They're good at grabbing every single point there is to grab but boring to watch. They should be grateful for the COP system.

V/M take choreography and make it more or less their own. I think the times they skate so well is because they enjoy doing it. I like Zoueva's quote- "The majority of ice dancers today imitate dance, but Virtue/Moir actually dance."

I think that's a bit too harsh! I'm a total V/M uber but I love D/W as well. Both teams are wonderful; just very different in style imo. We're very lucky to have them!

D/W have crazy speed and attack. Their twizzles are just :bow:. They're very "rah-rah", dramatic, passionate and have a very "raw" quality about them. I will disagree that they're not musical; they just have a more Broadwayish style, like mathman said. Like V/M, I get the impression that they too skate from the heart. Just that while V/M are more introspective, they tend to project outwards. Not a bad thing, just different.

Watching V/M is like what Rod Black said; it's like getting a sneak little peek into something very very special. They seem to be in their own world, dancing like no one's watching. Their chemistry and musicality is utterly amazing (Valse Triste!! :love:). Very balletic (their posture, lines, toe point and port de bras are fabulous), lyrical skaters. Of the current lot of dancers, I'd say they most closely fit the ideal ballroom dance couple. In comparison to D/W, they're more refined and graceful imo; their lift exits are so gentle and flowing! While they are impressive technicians and their lifts are insane, what I love the most is that they always dance with each other. No faux, OTT draaaama (often with fugly costumes urgh), just dancing.

D/W still have a slight tendency to become frentic at times (I'm always nervous watching them do twizzles, especially Charlie!). V/M are like G/G and Shizuka (when she's on) in the sense that everything looks so easy and effortless. Their programmes look deceptively simple and they are incapable of being inelegant, especially Tessa. Imo, D/W still have some way to go in terms of the little details like toe point, which V/M excel at.

While D/W's height differential isn't glaring a la Shibs, I think a reason why V/M look so "nice" is because of their unison and how close they skate, aside from the fact that they're both so gorgeous. Their body and leg lines are just fantastic. Also, being closer in terms of height isn't necessarily a good thing - lifts are more challenging!

Oh, and I appreciate the fact that by and large, their attire is tasteful and aesthetically appealing (K/N and Dom/Shabs OTOH ... :disapp:). Thank heavens these two are putting the class back in ice dance!

IA that they haven't reached their full potential yet, especially artistically. I'm praying to the skate gods that V/M will continue for a few more seasons and have voidtastic programmes like PF (Has D/W confirmed that they plan to stay on til Sochi?). Both teams are incredibly mature for their age though, to be fair.

Go Marlie and Voir!! :clap:

Off-topic: Does anyone think them (and Belgosto) should go guest star on SYTYCD some day? I'd love to see them dancing on the floor!

Wicked

Final Flight
Meryl and Charlie seem to be unmatched in body type which may take away from a good visual effect. She's lanky and thin and he's kind of squarish-roundish even though he's not at all fat.

I actually like this about Meryl and Charlie. I think it makes for a more interesting look on the ice. I also like that they look nothing alike. Tessa and Scott look like they could be brother and sister to me.

heyang

Record Breaker
It's like comparing Fred Astaire to Gene Kelly. Both great dancers with different styles that many people can appreciate.

prettykeys

Medalist
I agree with what everyone else has said, especially that Virtue and Moir show a lot more emotion and connection between them in the performances.

Both teams are amazing though!
Your post made me think maybe I prefer V/M for shallow reasons! I like both, but V/M have a better "look" and I'm not sure if it's true connection or just imagined connection. However, I think V/M also have a slightly better, cleaner technique.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I do agree that V/M generally take on a more balletic and classical, while D/W have a more unique, fast and very COP-centered approach. Oddly enough, as I consider myself as fan of the balletic moves that are incorporated in figure skating, i cant help but prefer D/W over V/M. V/M almost always choose the same sappy and emotion-filled music, and it wasnt til last season where they showed a different side with Pink Floyd. I always found D/W's music choices to be diverse without signaling out one style of music. Both teams have more room for improvement and I hope that both teams pull through to 2014 Sochi. I would also like for V/M to experiment with different pieces and styles of music. And I would like for D/W to channel in more of their emotions into their skating.