What to expect from Caroline? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What to expect from Caroline?

feraina

Record Breaker
Does that mean that Nagasu will remain a Junior nationally as well as internationally?

I actually understood it to mean that she will skate on the JGP circuit before going to 2008 senior national's. If senior National's is a fishbowl, then the SGP would be the shark pond!

passion

On the Ice
No matter what happens to Caroline, I am confident that she will mark her spot on the senior Grand Prix and make a name for herself which is already a lofty thing to achieve at her age entering the senior circuit for the first time. People will take notice of her even if she doesn't make it to the finals (although I think she probably will). Her spins and her flexibility set her apart from the others.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
When Caroline has been in the spot light with other competitive skaters, she has faultered.... US Novice Nationals, US Junior Nationals . The JGP series and JW were probably more tests of her ability to skate solid performances with less competitive skaters on the rosters, but under greater pressure, she has not delivered at this point.

So at US Novice Nationals and US Junior Nationals, Caroline met competitive skaters who pushed her hard and caused her to falter. But at the Junior Grand Prix and Junior World Championship, which are major international competitions, she met less talented skaters who allowed her to relax and did not push her as much. Does this sound correct?

zephyrskates

On the Ice
well i'm just hoping that she's not the next cohen.
for if she's the next sasha cohen then we may just hand out the olympic medal to asada,

just as cohen did to arakawa.

and i just moved for fear of all cohen-lovers here will burn me at the stake.

I think Caroline and Mirai are just too young to get overly nervous in a senior competition.
They will not be skating among their peers in St Paul. However, Caroline in the senior GP will likely feel she is not expected to win any of these GPs. Of course, she may win one (Sebestyen won one). If she wins SA, that will put her into a nervous state for China. I think what everyone wants is that she skates her best takes it all up as experience.

Mirai, on the other hand, will be in the Junior GPs, and skating among her peers may shake her up a bit. But at her age, I think she will get a comfortable feeling after the first triple and she will be excellent.

Joe

Nigel

On the Ice
I think Caroline and Mirai are just too young to get overly nervous in a senior competition.
They will not be skating among their peers in St Paul. However, Caroline in the senior GP will likely feel she is not expected to win any of these GPs. Of course, she may win one (Sebestyen won one). If she wins SA, that will put her into a nervous state for China. I think what everyone wants is that she skates her best takes it all up as experience.

Mirai, on the other hand, will be in the Junior GPs, and skating among her peers may shake her up a bit. But at her age, I think she will get a comfortable feeling after the first triple and she will be excellent.

Joe

"I think Caroline and Mirai are just too young to get overly nervous in a senior competition.
They will not be skating among their peers in St Paul.

Are you defining their peer group by ability or age? (or both?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel
"When Caroline has been in the spot light with other competitive skaters, she has faultered.... US Novice Nationals, US Junior Nationals . The JGP series and JW were probably more tests of her ability to skate solid performances with less competitive skaters on the rosters, but under greater pressure, she has not delivered at this point. "

And from Polymer Bob: "So at US Novice Nationals and US Junior Nationals, Caroline met competitive skaters who pushed her hard and caused her to falter. But at the Junior Grand Prix and Junior World Championship, which are major international competitions, she met less talented skaters who allowed her to relax and did not push her as much. Does this sound correct?"

Just a general observation at this point. Let's face it, the JGP was not as packed with talent last year as prior years with the Japanese and Korean skaters. I really don't feel that Caroline felt much pressure at the JGP this past season, even at the JGPF. US Nationals is a different sort of spotlight...literally...And if you ask any skater who has been to a SGP event, it is very different than the JGP. JGP events are generally not well attended, very little to no media...somewhat like a summer club event in the US.

I am not saying that Caroline has nerves of steel, but at the same time, she is moving into a new range of exposure, media coverage that she has never seen the likes of. Easy to get distracted and loose focus of what her goals are. Perhaps a maturity level that a 14 yr old isn't quite ready for. She just needs more seasoning ;)

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Caroline strikes me as a competitor who doesn't really get nervous,.................. popping or falling or fighting for the landings.

ITA every word. I see her getting caught up in the moment and just loosing concentration. JMO, but it seems like the nerves and concentration are not hand in hand in this particular case anyway - yes I think they usually are connected though.

I also don't see the "puberty issue" arising for her. Just a hunch I 'spose, but I think she will stay in "the right shape" to not have it effect her - or at least very little. Like I say, JUST a hunch.

Kypma

Final Flight
I also don't see the "puberty issue" arising for her. Just a hunch I 'spose, but I think she will stay in "the right shape" to not have it effect her - or at least very little. Like I say, JUST a hunch.

Also, Asian girls, even when living in America, tend to have smaller bodies and be smaller than Americans. It's not a general rule, but when you reach 16-17 years old, you noticed that she shortest girls in a class are often Asians. Caroline could have this going for her, as opposed to Ashley, perhaps. Just my opinion, though.

Kypma

pista04

On the Ice
Point Of View

I think as long as Caroline looks at this as "My first Experience,. Make It Fun" and not "I must show everyone how good I am" she will do fine. If she does the latter I think it'll wreak havoc on her nerves, and that will not be pretty.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Also, Asian girls, even when living in America, tend to have smaller bodies and be smaller than Americans. It's not a general rule, but when you reach 16-17 years old, you noticed that she shortest girls in a class are often Asians. Caroline could have this going for her, as opposed to Ashley, perhaps. Just my opinion, though.

Kypma

Ashley already looks as though she's gone through the puberty monster...her physique is quite womanly as it is.
Although Caroline may remain thin and small, she probably won't stay the way she is for too long, judging from the fact that both Mao and Yu-Na didn't stay as tiny as they were at 13. With her questionable jump technique, I'd say even a small change will affect her significantly.

oleada

Record Breaker

Kypma

I actually think this works in Ashley's favor. She already looks like she's gone through the worst of the puberty monster and is still a consistent skater with good jumps.

Caroline is definitely going to grow in the next few years, even if she ends up being a petite girl. I worry about her jumps because her technique is highly flawed, especially with the toe jumps.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I'd say what I think but apparently some people are not allowed to have opinions so I'll just say, whatever will happen, will happen.

carolinefan177

On the Ice
hmm

Sasha flutzed and lipped, but she still did incredibly well under the new system. I don't want to pre-judge how I think Caroline will do, but I hesitate to say that just because she has a problem with her jumps that she won't medal. Jumps are a significant part of the program, but they can't determine all of the success of a skater. It's the whole package that counts, and while Caroline may not have a great jumping techiniqe, she does have high level spins, spirals, and most importantly consistency. Like I said before, i think that she has the determination to improve; she proved that to us this year. She learned how to rotate her triples, moved up from eighth to second on the national level, and took home a gold at the junior worlds.

oleada

Record Breaker
Next season, new rules will be in place to penalize (at least, I hope they are used) the skaters who flutz and lip, which will definitely affect Caroline since she has a pretty severe flutz. What I'm guessing most people are concerned about (myself included) is that Caroline will have a harder time with her triples once she hits a growth spurt because her technique is flawed. And it takes a long time to correct flawed technique and to rework muscle memory.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao Asada has a pretty bad flutz also, but I don't think that will affect her scores much. I think people are WAY overestimating the effect of the flutz deduction.

Mafke

Medalist
Also, Asian girls, even when living in America, tend to have smaller bodies and be smaller than Americans.

Caroline Zhang is not an Asian girl living in America, but an American girl (of Asian descent).

If you meant American girls of Asian descent tend to have smaller bodies than American girls of non-Asian descent then say so, but you should not imply that Asian descent =/= American.

The young ladies are moving up in one way or another to the Senior level. I just don't believe that creates nervousness, butterflies, pressure or whatever you want to call it. (If anything, it would get them excited.) They are not expected to win the Worlds this season. They know that. All they want to do and what would be expected of them, is to do their best and leave the impression they will be a force on 2010.

It's not like they are the only competitors who will be nervous. I guarantee that ALL the competitors will be nervous. The question of nerves is, and always will be, can it be controlled?

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It's not like they are the only competitors who will be nervous. I guarantee that ALL the competitors will be nervous. The question of nerves is, and always will be, can it be controlled?

Joe

exactly. that is where kimmie has shined. Even with early program probelms she has been able to complete the program cleanly. I think that it is really this asset alone which has brought her to the top ( and maybe the lack of consistant ladies at nationals. let's face it... she would not have beaten wither sasha nor michelle had they been in spokane.) Kimmie is a great competitior and this quality makes up for the lack of bellimans and artisty in her programs.