What's up with Morgan Matthews? | Golden Skate

What's up with Morgan Matthews?

layman

On the Ice
From what I gather, there is an effort underway by the USFSA to prevent her skating for Canada. I am getting conflicting information on the resolution of the brouhaha.

Is she free to skate for Canada? Has the federation released her? Is the USFSA refusing to release her? The reports out of the USFSA Governing Council Meetings are confusing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm with Sean - last I heard the two had parted ways and he was looking for a partner and she wasn't sure what she'd do, but wanted to continue skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Morgan Matthews announced her split from Max Zavozin, and selected a new coaching team (Linichuk at the University of Delaware). She then auditioned potential partners, and selected Leif Gislason of Canada, who skated with Lauren Senft last season in the GP and at 4CC.

Although Matthews/Gislason had not announced for which country they would compete, apparently Skate Canada requested the release of Morgan Matthews, and at the recent meeting of the USFS Governing Council, the request was at first refused, but later tabled.

So right now, it seems that Matthews/Gislason probably will not be able to compete for Canada in the 2007-2008.

Past 2007=2008, they would not be able to compete at the 2010 Olympics, since there is insufficient time for either partner to obtain citizenship. The fact that they are training in Delaware would make it impossible for Matthews to fulfill the residency requirements for Canadian citizenship.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Canada asked USFSA to release Matthews to allow her to skate for Canada. The USFSA Board said no. At Governing Council a delegate attempted to have the matter recinded (overturn the Board decision). A huge S**T storm ensued. After much turmoil the matter was sent back to the Board for reconsideration. Ron Hershberger said in the meeting it would be on the agenda for the first Board meeting after GC (Sunday, May 6). No word yet on what was done at that meeting.

At this point the original decision (no release) still stands.

Why don't they want to release her? How can it be in the interest of USFS (or anyone else) to prevent someone from skating with whoever she wants to skate with?

gsrossano

Final Flight
Why don't they want to release her? How can it be in the interest of USFS (or anyone else) to prevent someone from skating with whoever she wants to skate with?

I can only speculate based on various discussions during GC. Some want her to sit out for more than the one year required by the ISU. Others hope that by not releasing her she will try one more time to find a US boy to skate with. But this is PURE SPECULATION. The reason for the decision was not released and never will be released.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Personally I think its silly that a skater has to be released. She should be allowed to compete for whatever country she wants provided she meets ISU requirements.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Personally I think its silly that a skater has to be released. She should be allowed to compete for whatever country she wants provided she meets ISU requirements.

The release, however, is an ISU requirement under rule 109. Further, the country requesting the release, if turned down, can appeal to the ISU Council.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
The release, however, is an ISU requirement under rule 109. Further, the country requesting the release, if turned down, can appeal to the ISU Council
Yes, I know that, but my point is that it shouldn't be.
What is the purpose of the release anyway?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In this particular case, Matthews was part of a team that won 2003 JGPF bronze, 2004 Jr World bronze, 2004 JGPF gold, 2005 Jr World gold and 2006 4CC silver. From the viewpoint of the USFS, Skate Canada (who recently lured Caitlin Weaver) is trying to steal a major US talent.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
In this particular case, Matthews was part of a team that won 2003 JGPF bronze, 2004 Jr World bronze, 2004 JGPF gold, 2005 Jr World gold and 2006 4CC silver. From the viewpoint of the USFS, Skate Canada (who recently lured Caitlin Weaver) is trying to steal a major US talent.

Its not stealing if she goes willingly.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Typical USFS BS. They seem to be acting like Ms. Matthews is the entire future of US Dance or something, when in fact US Dance is in extremely good shape these days. This is simply another case of the small-minded idiots who run USFS displaying power for the sake of displaying power so they can feel important.

It's the kind of thing that filters down from the top. I think it would have been unheard of for USFS to be acting in this manner before a certain jackass took over the ISU and made this sort of thing business as usual in figure skating.

I hope everything works out for Morgan's sake.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Actually, I think the previous jackass (Olaf Poulson) was even worse.

Perhaps so, tho I don't recall any issues of the current magnitude during HIS reign. Maybe it was because he wasn't as hungry for attention as the current regime.... :laugh:

discoduck

On the Ice
Isn't she already training with Leif Gislason? I was under the impression that she was which is why she wanted to skate for Canada?

euterpe

Medalist
Has anyone considered the possibility that it is Gislason who is refusing to skate for the US, hence the request from Skate Canada for the USFS to release Morgan?