When should I buy stiffer boots? | Golden Skate

When should I buy stiffer boots?

PhantomKat

Spectator
Hello everybody,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past week reading about appropriate boots for a beginning adult. For reference, I'm 30F, 5'3", and ~128lbs. I'm taking taking group classes once a week, and I'm currently in Alpha working on my forward crossovers. I practice around four hours a week.

I skated on rentals for the first 15 weeks or so until I was fitted in my rink's pro shop and got a pair of Jackson Artiste (5C). They fit fine as I'm breaking them in. Maybe a tad loose if I don't tighten them a lot? They only had Riedell as other available figure skates, and they were too narrow for my feet. They also had Jackson Freestyles available, but that was it for the Jackson line.

However, after reading posts on here, I realize that the Artiste are probably too soft for my age and weight. I know I'm nowhere near to starting jumps, but the last thing I want is to injure myself beyond the normal bruises you get from falling on the ice by simply practicing crossovers and Mohawks. Would it be recommended to get a stiffer boot before I start any sort of jumps or would it be safe to wait to get all the basics down before investing in another pair of skates?

Lastly, if anybody has suggestions to a good figure skate fitter in the SF Bay Area (CA) that would be greatly appreciated! My rink's pro shop, while nice and all, didn't do any detailed measurements or foot tracing beyond the Brannock devices used for Riedell and Jackson skates. It would also be great to have access to other brands, like Risport or even Edea, so I can make sure that I can find the brand best for my feet.

Thanks in advance!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everybody,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past week reading about appropriate boots for a beginning adult. For reference, I'm 30F, 5'3", and ~128lbs. I'm taking taking group classes once a week, and I'm currently in Alpha working on my forward crossovers. I practice around four hours a week.

I skated on rentals for the first 15 weeks or so until I was fitted in my rink's pro shop and got a pair of Jackson Artiste (5C). They fit fine as I'm breaking them in. Maybe a tad loose if I don't tighten them a lot? They only had Riedell as other available figure skates, and they were too narrow for my feet. They also had Jackson Freestyles available, but that was it for the Jackson line.

However, after reading posts on here, I realize that the Artiste are probably too soft for my age and weight. I know I'm nowhere near to starting jumps, but the last thing I want is to injure myself beyond the normal bruises you get from falling on the ice by simply practicing crossovers and Mohawks. Would it be recommended to get a stiffer boot before I start any sort of jumps or would it be safe to wait to get all the basics down before investing in another pair of skates?

Lastly, if anybody has suggestions to a good figure skate fitter in the SF Bay Area (CA) that would be greatly appreciated! My rink's pro shop, while nice and all, didn't do any detailed measurements or foot tracing beyond the Brannock devices used for Riedell and Jackson skates. It would also be great to have access to other brands, like Risport or even Edea, so I can make sure that I can find the brand best for my feet.

Thanks in advance!
Hi, welcome!

You need a stiffer boot sooner than later. You may have to travel south in California to find a decent pro fitter.

PhantomKat

Spectator
My friend is 5'7" and 132lbs and she's also in Jackson Artiste. She had those skates for about 6 years and has been actively skating in them for about 1.5 years in total. She does waltz jumps and upright spins on them, and her boots are not even close to breaking down.

Hence, I think you'll be fine with your current skates, as long as they are the right size and fit your feet well.
Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind!

ifigureskate101

Spectator
Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance!
Hey! I’m located in the SF Bay Area and have been skating 20+ years here. There are so many boot fitters!!! My fav is Teri Ann at San Mateo Rink. Since you’re still a beginner, i recommend her 100%! There’s also an Edea fitter in the the East Bay. Harlick in Foster City which is my fav and I just picked up my new pair of custom skates there last month. DM me if you want to connect. I’m the same handle @ifigureskate101 on TikTok.