When will Johnny be taken seriously? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

When will Johnny be taken seriously?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
MasterB said:
When we see men skating we want to see men skate like men (Yagudin, Browning, Boitano, Weiss, Tim, Plushenko). Johny's Weir is just to weird for me right now. He needs to tone down those costumes and butch up a little.

Yeah I said it, so what!

Who's "we"? because I know I don't like Plushy's style and find it way different than that of Browning's and Yagudins and Boitano, Weiss, and Goebel...

too each their own

ChiSk8Fan said:
By the way, in Latin, "Weir" means "man". This is, at least, the "butchest" name you can have!
LOL, ChiSk8Fan, that tidbit made me look up the origin of the family name. Apparently the Weirs are one of the "Septs" of the Scotish Clan MacFarlane. To see Johnny's official Tartan, click here and type in "Weir" in the search field.

It is quite a splendid dark blue plaid!

Mathman

mike79

On the Ice
MasterB said:
When we see men skating we want to see men skate like men (Yagudin, Browning, Boitano, Weiss, Tim, Plushenko). Johny's Weir is just to weird for me right now. He needs to tone down those costumes and butch up a little.

Yeah I said it, so what!

If Goebel or Weiss could skate half as well as Weir the Americans would have a shot at sweeping the podium at Worlds. With that said, Weir can skate circles around those guys, and most others.

I personally think it's good to have someone like Weir out there, as well as others like Sandhu, Buttle, Jahnke. It shows a lot of diversity in the skating we get to see as opposed to the same old repetitive stuff.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Am I the only who thinks that Weir is being taken seriously already? Have you seen the marks he has been getting from the judges this season? Or the way the audiences welcome him? Or how so many skating fans believe that the only thing he needs to beat a clean Plushenko is the quad? If that's not being taken as a serious contender, I don't know what is.

ETA: I misunderstood the question, I didn't realize the issue here was the federation and the media. Still, I think more important than being taken seriously by the media is to be taken seriusly by your competitors. They know what you're doing on the ice and who has medal chances. And we already know that being hyped by the media and/ or federations isn't always a good thing.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
Am I the only who thinks that Weir is being taken seriously already? Have you seen the marks he has been getting from the judges this season? Or the way the audiences welcome him? Or how so many skating fans believe that the only thing he needs to beat a clean Plushenko is the quad? If that's not being taken as a serious contender, I don't know what is.

ETA: I misunderstood the question, I didn't realize the issue here was the federation and the media. Still, I think more important than being taken seriously by the media is to be taken seriusly by your competitors. They know what you're doing on the ice and who has medal chances. And we already know that being hyped by the media and/ or federations isn't always a good thing.

ITA. i thought he was being taken seriously and internationally at that. He's pretty much in the top 3 right now as far as scores so I'd say he's taken very seriously. I know I've taken notice of his skating just this season.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have just seen videoclips from Weir´s SP and LP, and I´m feeling really enthusiastic about the programmes and his skating. He is a really expressive skater, there is so much sensitive feeling and also power (when needed) in his skating and interpreting. WOW, what a guy!!!

I have always appreciated skaters like e.g. Weir, Plushenko, Lambiel, Buttle and Sandhu with whom I can see a true and genuine interpretation and feeling towards the music flowing directly from the skater´s own person and not being just something based on a cleverly planned choreography combined with athletism. There is a huge difference, in my opinion. Besides all these guys have an elegant looking bodytype on the ice.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
sk8er1964 said:
When will Johnny be taken seriously by the USFSA and the media?

Many of the advertisements for the US Nats contain pics of MK and Sasha, and Michael Weiss, and B&A - but not Johnny. Last time I checked, he was the US mens national champion.

Here's an article on Yahoo about the Detroit cheesefest that mentions that Timmy won the silver medal at NHK - but no mention that Johnny won the gold. http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041117/ap_on_sp_ot/fig_marshalls_skating_1

How long will it take him to exorcise the demons of 2003, at least in the eyes of the media? At least Terry Gannon seems to have stopped referencing
the "disasterous 2003 nationals".

I'm not a really big "fan" type - I like them all. But this is kind of making me :mad: because they should at least acknowledge his accomplishments. End of rant. :eek:

Paul Martini and Barb Underhill (of Canada) take Johnny Weir seriously. I just watched my tape of the NHK competition - Johnny won the mens. Neither Barb nor Paul said a word through his long program - they just let us watch him skate. Paul is very supportive of this young man and thinks he will do great things. Both Barb and Paul expressed their admiration of his style and grace and how he made a great impression at the last worlds. So here in Canada, Johnny Weir has "arrived.!"

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
On the Weir name, again, in English a weir is a kind of stationary fish trap, often built with nets over poles. I wondered whether Johnny was alluding to that in his costume with the fish net all over it?

Here's a Fish Weir

And Here's Johnny in Fish Net

I think Johnny is taken very seriously everywhere this year. But if he wants to be taken more seriously, landing a quad in competition would be a good thing. He won't beat either Plush or a clean Joubert without one.

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Oh, darned, I'll acknowledge it

I know it would be better not to bother acknowledging the men skating like men comment, but I can't resist. One of the men who skates like a man does a Biellman spin. ROTFL!
Linny

curious

Final Flight
he beat brian in trophee bompard(something like that)recently,but plushy is a different story. he needs more than a quad to challenge the most consistent skater in the world.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
ChiSk8Fan, you're right. I had reworded it and never rechecked that part.

dmr65

On the Ice
Sometimes I wonder if it's so good to be taken seriously by the media.. The as soon lift you up... They also are the ones who like to bring you down..

I started out being a huge fan of Johnny's skating, and I still enjoy it, because like Plushenko, they are of the classical skating school. Johnny, previously made a few :scratch: comments I found silly that made me step back a bit, but nothing that major. :)

Denise...

Last edited:

floskate

On the Ice
Well if it means Johnny constantly feels like he has to prove himself and does this by skating pretty fabulously nearly all the time then let them carry on ignoring him!!!!

I was lucky enough to attend TEB and went to both his press conferences. The endless quad questions came from a US journalist who wouldn't let it drop, but Johnny handled himself really well and said he would include the quad when HE was ready and not when some of the spectators/media thought he should.

The European Journalists were going gaga over his style though. Seems they couldn't give a damn about his quadless SP masterpiece. One reporter even referred to Johnny as having a feel for the ice that we hadn't seen in over 20 odd years. I'm guessing he was referring to Curry.

Says a lot I think!!

skatepixie

On the Ice
When I want to see lady-like skating, I watch the ladies. Thats basically sums it up for me.

If its true that JW's style comes from his coach, well, then, she isnt going him any favors.

skatepixie said:
When I want to see lady-like skating, I watch the ladies. Thats basically sums it up for me. If its true that JW's style comes from his coach, well, then, she isnt going him any favors.
Tell me which lady does he skate like? Like Cohen? Just curious.

Joe

skatepixie

On the Ice
Not any one woman-more that he skates like a woman in gerneral. That is, he is effeminate out there, and that just not something I enjoy.

S

SkateFan4Life

IMHO, it's not a matter of the media not taking Johnny Weir seriously, it's just that he is still a relatively new face in the top of men's figure skating. Michael Weiss is a three-time US Champion, two-time World bronze medalist, and two-time Olympian. Timothy Goebel is a one-time US champion, a two-time World silver medalist, and the defending Olympic bronze medalist. Weiss and Goebel have also won more medals at Grand Prix events, as they have been on the scene at the senior level for many years.

In my opinion, Weir's 2004 season was a breakthrough year for him. He established himself as as top-flight skater, a fine artist and performer, and one ot watch in the future. What Johnny needs at this point is more medals and championships - especially World and/or Olympic medals - to really establish himself as a top skater. I think he's on the cusp of greatness.

You build up a great reputation by years of consistent performances. Michelle Kwan stands out as an outstanding example of consistency and excellence, with eight US titles, five World titles, three World silver medals, and one World bronze medal, and an Olympic silver and bronze medals. Those are credentials to strive for!! :agree:

Well, I am not an expert on ballet or anything, but Weir's skating style does not seem sissy to me. Unlike many skaters, both men and women, Johnny is always in total command of his body. Male does not have to equal clumsy.

(Those costumes, however, have got to go. But at least he doesn't weigh himself down with sequins, LOL.)

Mathman

sk8er1964

On the Ice
skatepixie said:
Not any one woman-more that he skates like a woman in gerneral. That is, he is effeminate out there, and that just not something I enjoy.

I don't see his style as effeminent, I see it as polished. Everything he does is finished. There's no flailing around (to use one of Uncle Dick's terms). Even when he misses something, he still looks graceful.

Have you ever seen any videos of John Curry? He was class and grace on ice, and he could do the jumps too. Johnny reminds me of him. Kind of reminds me of Tollar Cranston too, in a way, with his devil-may-care attitude about what others think. I think, if he can keep it up, he will be one of the greats one day.

(PS - when I started this thread, I was feeling rather witchy in general. I realize that he needs seasoning, but when his own federation doesn't put his pic in their own Nationals advertisement, it bothers me. Why? I dunno. My double sal landing should bother me more :laugh: .)