When will Johnny be taken seriously? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

When will Johnny be taken seriously?

Jaana said:
I think it is not just a chance Johnny being scheduled to appear in same GP events as his hardest competitors. Unfortunately he met Plushenko only in Cup of Russia. Marjaana
And met Joubert in Paris. Not bad for the new kid on the block.

Joe

minnemama

Spectator
I've been following this thread, not planning to post but something happened last night that gave me a good chuckle so I decided I'd share it. I was reading books with my daughter last night (she's 7) and skating was on TV. The Paris Grand Prix event I believe. My daughter looks up from her book and there is Johnny Weir skating. She watches for about 30 seconds then says - wow, she's a really good skater! I say - actually that's a man. No response, then a few seconds later - mommy, are you sure that's a man? How can you tell? I say - yes, it's a man and tell her what his name is. End of discussion.
So, I just had to share this since it seemed to tie into this thread so well.
Thanks!

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Well, to argue against my original post :p , when I opened up my latest issue of Skating Magazine, there was a full page skate ad featuring Johnny (right across from the Nat's ad without him), and ESPN has showed only one short program so far this season (his). So, I guess people are paying attention, hmm? ;)

I loved his short program - so glad that they showed it.

Vash01

Medalist
minnemama said:
I've been following this thread, not planning to post but something happened last night that gave me a good chuckle so I decided I'd share it. I was reading books with my daughter last night (she's 7) and skating was on TV. The Paris Grand Prix event I believe. My daughter looks up from her book and there is Johnny Weir skating. She watches for about 30 seconds then says - wow, she's a really good skater! I say - actually that's a man. No response, then a few seconds later - mommy, are you sure that's a man? How can you tell? I say - yes, it's a man and tell her what his name is. End of discussion.
So, I just had to share this since it seemed to tie into this thread so well.
Thanks!

Last year I was watching the US Nationals mens free skate, with my nephews- ages 7 and 9 at the time. As soon as Johnny took the ice, they said, "He looks like a GIRL!". Throughout his skate and even after it was over, they kept asking, "But why does Johnny Weir look like a GIRL?"

Vash

IDLERACER

Medalist
Vash01 said:
Throughout his skate and even after it was over, they kept asking, "But why does Johnny Weir look like a GIRL?"
Ironically, alot of people who saw the Grateful Dead back in 1966 or '67, often asked that exact same question about Bob Weir. :laugh:

sk8er1964 said:
Well, to argue against my original post :p , when I opened up my latest issue of Skating Magazine, there was a full page skate ad featuring Johnny (right across from the Nat's ad without him), and ESPN has showed only one short program so far this season (his). So, I guess people are paying attention, hmm? ;) I loved his short program - so glad that they showed it.
Yes, but that is not as important as his andogenous being. He is a beautiful skater but one must nitpick on something. He's getting the 'no quad -girlie' treatment. :sheesh:

Joe

If he gets a quad he can laugh at his detractors all the way to the bank, LOL.

BTW, Johnny is featured on the front cover of International Figure Skating this month (his hair is quite respectably combed, LOL). Plus, he's got the whole back cover, too, in a full-page ad for Riedell boots and Wilson blades.

Mathman:)