Where do you buy your skates? | Golden Skate

Where do you buy your skates?

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Where do you guys buy your skates?
I know some people go to a skate shop, some buy their skates at a rink skate shop, some online, others go to a fitter.
I’m curious as I don‘t know of many skate shops. (There is only one non-rink shop that I know of here in NYC)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm surprised you only know of one. I, personally, only skated in NYC for a bit and know of multiple. I'd ask your coach. They'd know what place is most reliable and closest.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm surprised you only know of one. I, personally, only skated in NYC for a bit and know of multiple. I'd ask your coach. They'd know what place is most reliable and closest.
I go to West-Side Skate and Stick, which is where my coach told me to go. I find it a great place. What are the names of these skate shops? I‘d be interested in seeing if there is anything closer to me as West-Side Skate and Stick is quite far away from me. I was wondering where people normally choose to purchase skates as I’m not familiar with skate shops/skate buying across the country or even the world

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I go to West-Side Skate and Stick, which is where my coach told me to go. I find it a great place. What are the names of these skate shops? I‘d be interested in seeing if there is anything closer to me as West-Side Skate and Stick is quite far away from me. I was wondering where people normally choose to purchase skates as I’m not familiar with skate shops/skate buying across the country or even the world
That's a question for your coach as I don't know of every skate shop in NYC. As I said, I only skated there for a short period of time.

I buy from a pro-shop that has been skate teching (is that a word) since the 60s and is well trusted by coaches and skaters. I just asked my coach where they recommended. What I will say is, never buy online unless you know exactly what you need and the cost to mount isn't an issue to you because you'll have to go to a shop and pay for blade mounting anyway.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My boots are custom Harlicks and since I lived only 2 hours away, I had the luxury of going to their small factory for my fitting.

Not familiar with NYC but Cozzi Sports has several New York locations and a good reputation. Last year I replaced a pair of Phantom Blades using Cozzi Sports. https://www.cozzisports.com/locations

In the past all the large boot makers would have a booth at the US Figure Skating Nationals and other big skating events (including roller skating). Fittings were offered at these events so that was an alternative to get fitted and explore many boot options.

celia

Rinkside
I've lived in NYC a long time, and you are correct, there is only one "real" skate shop in NYC and that is West Side Skate, formerly in Flatiron, but now in LIC at City Ice. (I mean, there is the skate shop at Sky Rink, but they are more hockey oriented, maybe with a few beginner figure skates.) However, personally, I travel to either Mark at Skater's Landing in Greenwich, CT, or Jim at Ice House in Hackensack, NJ, and both are well worth the trip, for superior customer service.