Which lady has the best competitive record over the last four years? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which lady has the best competitive record over the last four years?

Spirit

On the Ice
Mathman said:
In the chariot race he fell out of his chariot and had to be carried off the field. The silver and bronze medalists could just barely stop in time to avoid getting ahead of him and being executed on the spot.
I hope someone caught that on video and puts it on youtube.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Hmm...Here's another perspective!

Maybe it's the baseball fanatic in me, but I read "Best Record" as a win percentage, not just how many times they finished near the top or with a winning record. Noone cares if a team ends up 2nd best in their division for 10 years straight if they don't make it to the playoffs.

By this theory, here's how I'd rank the skaters' records since 2002 SLC by comparing if they won major competitions (inlcuding Nats, Worlds, GPF, Euros, 4CC and Olympics) Hope my math is right....:

Irina: 12 entered-6 won (2 Worlds, 1 Nationals, 1 GPF, 2 Euros (50% winning %)

Michelle: 8 entered-4 won (1 Worlds, 3 Nationals) (50% winning %)

Fumie: 13 entered-5 won (2 4CC, 2 Nationals, 1 GPF) (38% winning %)

Shizuka: 12 entered-2 won (1 Worlds, 1 Olympics) (17% winning %)

Sasha:12 entered-2 won (1 Nats. 1 GPF) (17% winning %)

If the question was Best Podium Finishes, than I'd go with Sasha or Irina!

Spirit

On the Ice
You've got a point. But by this logic, a skater who enters only one event and wins it gets a winning percentage of 100%, thus beating the rest of the field, and that doesn't seem right.

Plus, another problem with the baseball analogy is that your "winning percentage" is based on beating just one team at a time. If the Yankees beat the Orioles, then the Tigers, then the Astros, then the White Sox, then lose to the Mariners, they have a winning percentage of .800.

But if Sasha enters the Olympics and beats Irina, Fumie, Joannie and Kimmie, but loses to Shizuka, then she's 0 for 1, with a wining percentage of .000.

I think it should be like golf. Let's cut to the chase. Who is the Leading Money Winner?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
Noone cares if a team ends up 2nd best in their division for 10 years straight if they don't make it to the playoffs.

I do Like the different perspective you took on this although.....

"No one cares" I don't believe, due to what I see in the news and the banners at the arenas. Granted the Mile High city is famous for that, but I am not one of those who blamed John or only cheered when he was winning. I acutely thought Reeves (good coach) was wrong for the team, but was always cheering even when they get clobbered.

I don't subscribe to that aspect of fair weather / only follow when on top attitude. But that is also one of the things I have a hard time with in baseball. It seems there are so many fans like that - when did the "7th inning stretch" become the "7th inning leave?" Not saying you are one, maybe you find it unsettling as well. :)

BUT I do agree that there are a number (too large IMO) that are like that.
That new view you took is a neat perspective as well as enlightening.

:think:
I wonder who has been on the podium more times based on a percentage like - they skated for period of time = 100% to everyone no matter the amount / number, and wound up getting one of the top 3 spots at a percentage no matter the number relative to the others just to their own skating competitions attended.

PS. Hmmm. I made the remark the "leading money winner" as a joke, but now I wonder who it is? (Prize money only, not counting endorsements, etc.)

The prizes for Grand Prix events are $18,000, $13,000, $9,000, $3000 and $2000 for first through fifth, and the GP final is $25K, 18K, 12K, 6K, 4K and 3K for one through six.

I think Worlds pays $50,000 for first, the same as the three U.S. cheesefests. Olympics does not have a set cash prize, but many national federations or Olympic Committees give awards for medals. :)

Kwanford Wife said:
too much math... my head is spinning... my head is spinning...
No, no. Pretend you are Shep Goldberg. Michelle owes you 7 percent of all Grand Prix, Worlds, and cheesefest purses for the last ten years. How much do you have coming? ;)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
No, no. Pretend you are Shep Goldberg. Michelle owes you 7 percent of all Grand Prix, Worlds, and cheesefest purses for the last ten years. How much do you have coming? ;)

A lot of money!!! Hmmm... let's see... approximately 1.25 million dollars, including the Chevy, Disney, merchandising, COI and personal appearances...

(thanks Mathman! That's why we all love you... you bring it to our level & I'm all about the cash!!:bow: :bow: )

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:

Last ten years? I thought you were only figuring things since 2002? If so, MK got from cheesefests (at the rate of 50K per win) a minimum of 300,000 (150K for winning all three of them in the '02/'03 season; 50 K for winning the mid-season Marshalls in '03/'04; and another 100 K for winning both Campbell's and end of year Marshalls in '04/'05. I forgot what the prize money is for the other placements at the cheesefest.

Irina got (for her '04/'05 season) a minimum of 131 K -- 36K for winning her two GP events; 45K for winning Worlds; and 50K for winning the mid-season Marshall's. I don't know what she got for winning the GPF and Euros, but I am quite sure they didn't pay as well as the cheesefests.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Mathman said:
Maybe we should go with the "Olympic cycle" rather than with "4 seasons." This would mean worlds 2002-2005 and 2006 Olympics, saving 2006 worlds for the next go-round. In that case we have

Cohen 16
Arakawa 19
Kwan 22
Slutskaya 23
Suguri 23
Kostner 27
Sokolova 30
Rochette 30
Liashenko 31
Sebestyen 32
Meier 32
Ando 33
Poykio 33
Volchkova 33

The Olympiade is from fall 2002 until spring 2006 (including Worlds)

So it's not from Olympics to Olympics, like in the olden days?

Olympiad: "A period of four years reckoned from one celebration of the Olympic Games to the next, by which the Greeks computed time from 776 B.C."

It seems like there is quite a difference of opinion about what it means to "have the best competitive record."

Last edited:

Spirit

On the Ice
I believe Jaana is correct, technically. IIUC, the IOC considers the Summer Olympics to be the "real" Olympics, the one which defines the Olympiad. The Winter Olympics don't get their own Olympiad. They've been bad and must sit in the corner and think about what they've done, and perhaps when they grow up they can get their own Olympiad.

It doesn't really matter, since comparing a 4-year stretch from one Winter Olympics to the next is just fine, and if we mistakenly call that an Olympiad, well...who cares?

Ah! Better and better. So we are now coming up on the end of the second year of the current Olympiad, which began in the summer of 2004.

So, who had the strongest competitive record over the course of the most recently completed Olympiad?

Michelle:

2001 Worlds -- 1st
2002 Olympics -- 3rd
2002 Worlds -- 2
2003 Worlds -- 1st
2004 Worlds -- 3

Irina: 2, 2, 1, *, 9

Sasha: *, 4, 4, 4, 2

Fumie: 7, 5, 3, 3, 7

Shizuka: *, *, *, 8, 1