Who will get a gold? (LADIES) | Golden Skate

Who will get a gold? (LADIES)

kasia16

On the Ice
What do you think about Carolina Kostner? I hope she'll take a medal in Budapest... :)

Last edited:
Not my favorite but I think it will be Elena Sokolova. She'll get it together. Her practice session at Lalique looked good. That knee operation is not an easy thing to get over. I hope she didn't skate too soon afterwards because it will be problematic later.

Maybe Irina if she is still around. Sebastyen is better than we think. There is also Carolina (hope she got all the kinks out) and that lovely Swiss girl - Maier is that her name?

C'mon European fans - tell us more. The French ladies? The other eastern European Ladies (I like Galina, if she stands up).

dewet

Final Flight
Joe, do you mean Sarah Meier?
I think Elena Liashenko and Julia Sebestyen are contenders. Kostner has been pretty inconsistent so far. They're using the old system right?

Hi dewet - Yes, that's her Sara Meier. I think she has a lot of potential, and of course, I like her style, and everyone knows style is more important to me than quads.

Joe

kasia16

On the Ice
I think Sarah Meier is a good skater, but only when she doesn't make mistakes. She hasn't started this season yet and I know nothing about her form... I hope she will fight at Europeans and take place in first five...

I know I make mistakes but I want to improve :)

Last edited:

diver chick

On the Ice
I would love to see one of the Finnish girls make it to the podium this year, so much potential there with Poykio, Drei and Kettunen. Poykio in particular is a lovely skater to watch.

I'd like to see Carolina build on the fourth place from last year and either maintain that position or move up a place or two.

The one I will really be watching out for thought is Jenna McCorkell. She is such a beautiful skater and with any luck she will be challenging for top spots in two or three seasons time.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think the podum might have the two Elenas (Sokolova and Liashenko) and one of the Finnish ladies.

Matt

On the Ice
My Picks

Here's what I think,

Your podium is going to be amongst Liashenko (whose my pick for #1 going off the GP), Kostner (one of my favorites, but very inconsistent this year), Sebestyen (2 GP bronzes, 6th at final, good technique and Morozov choreography), and Pöykiö (best of the Finns, good GP showings, win at Finlandia.)

Sokolova's out (she was ninth at both her GP events), the French don't have anyone (maybe Calvez, if you consider Lalique), Slutskaya's health isn't good enough (and if she does make Europeans, her fitness is still questionable), and Meier must have dropped off the face of this earth, because I can't find her anywhere in the competitions results I've seen.

I would also watch Volchkova (erratic as she is, but she's won bronze before). If Lina Johansson of Sweden competes as a senior, I'd look at her (great JGP season)

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Sarah Meier

Sarah Meier was injured this year. However, the Swiss Federation is considering a bye for her to get to Euros/Worlds. I don't think that's wise at all. If she's injured, they shouldn't give her a bye...

That said... my (predictions) are..

1. Liashenko
2. Kostner
3. Slutskaya
4. Poykio
5. Kettunen
6. Sokolova
7. Sebestyen
8. Johannsen
9. Volchkova
10. Maniachenko
11. Calvez
12. Poth
13. Soldatova
14. Pavuk

Matt

On the Ice
Pretty accurate, though I don't think Kettunen will be that high nor Sebestyen that low, with the way she's been skating. But pretty accurate

JOHIO2

Medalist
With Slutskaya's health issues, I don't expect to see her compete at all this season.

Liashenko has had a marvelous season so far and if she continues, she could very well top the podium.

Sokolova has had a rotten season. Big reason - that injury and arth.surgery. If she is well enough to practice and get back some confidence, she could medal. I guess I'll wait for Russian National results before I write her off. Nelidina also had a bad GP season. Without Slutskaya, the next likely woman to represent Russian might be Kristina Oblasova. We haven't gotten a chance to see her (blame ABC/ESPN).

(edited to add: how could I forget Vika! Volchkova is a hit or miss proposition. She could surprise us and take Gold. She is certainly capable of it.)

Julia Sebestyen made the Grand Prix Final, so you can't write her off either.

The Finnish ladies, Susanna Poykio and Alisa Drei, are outside shots. As is the perennial Galina Maniachenko from Uzbec.

I really want to see Carolina Kostner medal. (Are you listening Santa???)

I'm really looking forward to this one!

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Belarus

Ok...question...is Yelena Soldatova of Belarus still competing? I remember she won a bronze at the 1999 Worlds behind a stunning Butyrskaya and a flawed Kwan... but her (Soldatova) free skate wasn't anything to write home about. She nearly stopped dead in her tracks during her biellmann spin.

Too bad Vanessa Gusmeroli retired. This could've been her year to win Euros. It's an open field. Heck, if I were Angela Nikodinov, I'd seriously begin thinking of representing Bulgaria...

dewet

Final Flight
Right, but Angela isn't skating well either.

BTW, its Julia Soldatova, and I think she is trying to compete for Russia, but I'm not sure.

Also I think Elena Liashenko could beat Vannesa G.

Last edited:

Jill

On the Ice
1.Volchkova
2.Liashenko
3.Sebestyen
4.Kostner
5. CupCake(Sokolova)
6.Poykio(sp?)
7.Poth
8.Maniachenko
9.Drei
10.Oblasova

windspirit

On the Ice
dewet said:
BTW, its Julia Soldatova, and I think she is trying to compete for Russia, but I'm not sure.
She's going to skate at the Russian Nats next month. I've read there was some misunderstanding in the ISU, concerning her citizenship, and that's why she wasn't allowed to compete for the last (three?) years. Now she can, but they still don't know what country she's going to compete for. Piseev said he's going to discuss it with the Belorussian Skating Federation.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I predict that there will be NO lady representing Russia on the European podium this year. I predict:

1. Liashenko
2. Kostner
3. Sebasteyn

shine

Record Breaker
What I hope:

1. Julia Lautowa
2. Galina Maniachenko
3. Susanna Poykio

What will happen:

1. Elena Liashenko
2. Julia Sebastyen
3. Carolina Kostner

Tove

On the Ice
I think both Liashenko and Maniachenko are serious contenders, Sokolova must really get it together to win.
Kostner should be on the podium is she skates well, and also Sebastyen. Volchkova also has her chance now, but I doubt she got the spark!

Kati

On the Ice
After the Russian nationals, it seems Elena Sokolova is back! She won the title easily. Julia Soldatova was second, but it's not sure she can represent Russia. Kristina Oblassova was third. The other possible representants are young Alima Gerchkovich (¤th) and Tatiana Basova (5th).
Susanna Pöykiö and Alisa Drei will represent Finland! I'd love to see Susanna on the podium... She has had a minor (?) injury in her ankle, and didn't compete at the finnish nationals. She has been stronger at the GP series than Elina Kettunen, and Finland is sending her to the europeans anyway.
Elena Liashenko and Galina Maniashenko are Ukraine's medal hopes. Elena has been quite good this season!
Sarah Meier is not going to be there, it seems. She didn't compete at swiss nationals (injury).
Carolina Kostner is Italy's rising star. She is a crowd favorite but hasn't been as consistent as last year (puberty problems?)
And then there are the girls from France, Great Britain etc...