Why Haven't Worlds Come Back To The US? | Golden Skate

Why Haven't Worlds Come Back To The US?

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
This drives me crazy!

Since the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, the US has only hosted Worlds once, in 2016, and there are no plans of them hosting again until at least 2024, and that's a big 'IF'. On the other hand, Italy/France/Canada has hosted them 2 times while Japan has hosted them 3 times.

I mean what gives?! The US is much more competitive across all 4 disciples than Italy, France, Japan- that's why we've beaten them all in the last 2 Olympics in the team event. And we're also now more competitive than Canada since their dance is now their only strong discipline.

Who's to blame? Mitch Moyer? USFS? Politics?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This drives me crazy!

Since the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, the US has only hosted Worlds once, in 2016, and there are no plans of them hosting again until at least 2024, and that's a big 'IF'. On the other hand, Italy/France/Canada has hosted them 2 times while Japan has hosted them 3 times.

I mean what gives?! The US is much more competitive across all 4 disciples than Italy, France, Japan- that's why we've beaten them all in the last 2 Olympics in the team event. And we're also now more competitive than Canada since their dance is now their only strong discipline.

Yeah i agree especially since Worlds in Boston seemed to be a big success. Giving Japan this many times to host Worlds in the last decade has gotten out of hand.

Last edited:

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I'd presume the answer comes down to money... I know several other US sports feds have mentioned they don't host as many World Cup events in their sports because they don't tend to make money on them and don't have the same level of government support as other countries to make up the shortfall

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd presume the answer comes down to money... I know several other US sports feds have mentioned they don't host as many World Cup events in their sports because they don't tend to make money on them and don't have the same level of government support as other countries to make up the shortfall
Boston made money. It was in the local news.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really want Boston again.
I wanted Detroit badly. But if I am interpreting the stuff I’ve seen online correctly, the US Fed is proposing Colorado Springs or Las Vegas, either of which is a disaster for me.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I wanted Detroit badly. But if I am interpreting the stuff I’ve seen online correctly, the US Fed is proposing Colorado Springs or Las Vegas, either of which is a disaster for me.
I'm sure the suggestion of Las Vegas has to do with the hotel being part of the rink, if we ever have a crazy set of circumstances for Worlds again. Not that anyone wants that.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sure the suggestion of Las Vegas has to do with the hotel being part of the rink, if we ever have a crazy set of circumstances for Worlds again. Not that anyone wants that.
I was wondering how that would happen. Isn’t it an NHL rink?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I imagine we're being outbid. San Jose is a very beautiful area but it is quite expensive. The San Jose Sharks have a great rink and there are hotels and entertainment nearby. San Francisco is a within an hours drive and there are tons of activities available due to the weather which rarley gets to freezing even in the dead of winter. I went to Nationals when they were in Oakland and the area surrounding the stadium is nice but, it's not the best town. San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the world and if you want to make some decent money....

It may come down to a stadium or venue offering the US a "Deal" just so they can use it as advertising. Hershey Park Penn. has hosted skating events in the past and I think that might be a good place for Worlds.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Since the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, the US has only hosted Worlds once, in 2016, and there are no plans of them hosting again until at least 2024, and that's a big 'IF'. ...

Some context:

Since 2010, USFS has been host to ...

- Four Continents twice: 2019 Anaheim; 2012 Colorado Springs
- JGPs at least three times: 2019 Lake Placid; 2015 Colorado Springs; 2012 Lake Placid
- Synchro Worlds three times: 2017 Colorado Springs; 2013 Boston; 2010 Colorado Springs

Plus 2023 Synchro Worlds will be in Lake Placid.
April 2020 Synchro Worlds in Lake Placid had to be cancelled.

ETA (on Mar 31):
Also: The 2022 ISU Congress originally was scheduled for Las Vegas.
But a few weeks ago, the ISU announced that the 2022 Congress would be held instead in Phuket, Thailand, which had been the planned location for the 2020 Congress (cancelled because of pandemic).​

What I am saying is that these events are nothing to sneeze at in terms of logistical complexity/workload for USFS.
(I get that the prestige of Worlds would be higher.)​

ISU has published bid information going back as far as for the 2018-19 season. (I do not know about earlier seasons?)

USFS did not bid for 2019-2023 Worlds.
(My guess would be that it did not bid for 2018 post-Olympic Worlds??
And that there was no chance that it would host 2017 Worlds, the year after 2016 Boston?)

USFS did bid for 2022 Four Continents (which ISU awarded to China), and for 2023 Four Continents (which ISU awarded to Australia).​

... Who's to blame? Mitch Moyer? USFS? Politics?

I don't see what Mitch Moyer would have to do with this topic?
His purview is High Performance, not Events.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This drives me crazy!

We can discuss this without picking on another country. Canada didn't even get their Worlds last year in Montreal because of Covid so that doesn't count. and their men and dance and pairs are quite good btw. Ladies is hitting a hiccup but US has the same issue with several disciplines.

Vancouver has been the best Olympics in the last decade (I know I've been at them all).

It's all about being outbid and Skating feds being willing to cough up lots of money to host, as well as the cooperation of many other things: Hotels, airports, general ability for people to get around and back and forth to venues and more.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
It's all about being outbid and Skating feds being willing to cough up lots of money to host
Interesting. At first I thought that statement seemed rather contrary, what with France outbidding other countries (they haven’t exactly been the best example of spending too much money on recent events, I guess?)

But then I remembered France gets 2022, and Milan had 2018. I had a great time at Milan, but it wasn’t the best Worlds ever. So maybe countries in general just aren’t willing to bid much money for post-Olys Worlds, and it gets sold “cheap”?

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Interesting. At first I thought that statement seemed rather contrary, what with France outbidding other countries (they haven’t exactly been the best example of spending too much money on recent events, I guess?)

But then I remembered France gets 2022, and Milan had 2018. I had a great time at Milan, but it wasn’t the best Worlds ever. So maybe countries in general just aren’t willing to bid much money for post-Olys Worlds, and it gets sold “cheap”?
Exactly, I know that the United States only ever wants the world championships for gymnastics that are the year before the Olympics like in 2003.

Apple1078

Final Flight

I don't know but I guess it's possible? Skaters tend to be tired after Olys and there are always skaters that retire/don't go to post Olys worlds and others that bomb, e.g. Milan where the final group in the Men's FS was a bit of a disaster.

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
I imagine we're being outbid. San Jose is a very beautiful area but it is quite expensive. The San Jose Sharks have a great rink and there are hotels and entertainment nearby. San Francisco is a within an hours drive and there are tons of activities available due to the weather which rarley gets to freezing even in the dead of winter. I went to Nationals when they were in Oakland and the area surrounding the stadium is nice but, it's not the best town. San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the world and if you want to make some decent money....

It may come down to a stadium or venue offering the US a "Deal" just so they can use it as advertising. Hershey Park Penn. has hosted skating events in the past and I think that might be a good place for Worlds.
I'm also sick of San Jose always getting Nationals. They hosted it like 3 times out of 5 or 6. It's ridiculous. Give it to Los Angeles or San Diego.