Why isn't Figure Skating MORE popular? | Golden Skate

Why isn't Figure Skating MORE popular?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
It is, but so is the population growing. Percentage vs. Per-capita.

How can it gain in popularity?

What might change to generate more "lasting" interest?

I am sick of empty seats, if people saw full areas all the time would they think it was more popular and want to go? - stretch.

Tickets to expensive to get interest going? Lower the price to see if it will generate more sales compensating for the lower price? - really stretchy.

Pour advertising?

Please give opinions - the company I work with is responsible for a majority of the equipment in "archiving of video and data" of this and other events, I am not a power player, but I converse with them on a daily basis. These comments "can be" heard, particularly how much I ramble on about how much I love the sport. Not to mention who ever the 60 - 90% that only view these posts and not respond.

Don't forget, corp. America has not forgotten where they get their "bucks" from.

Keep the hope alive! They / you deserve more then what you get.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
I think many empty seats are from too expensive. I went to the Worlds in Vancouver and full event tickets were 595, now in Calgary they were 995 or something like that, and I couldn't afford it or else I would have been there... I talked to many many many other people who said the same thing... if it hadn't been so expensive they would have come.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think ticket cost is only part of the issue of lack of popular interest because I can't connect the high cost of tickets with the drop in TV ratings of skating -- both shows and competitions (ISU and professional). I would think that high ticket cost would drive up TV ratings -- as more people stayed home to watch. I think that the decline is due, a great deal, to the SLC scandal -- few people want to see an event that they think is fixed. [sarcasm on] Also, I think that MK and SC are largely to blame because, for many years now, they have willfully failed to whack each other on the kneecaps (or to get together to whack someone else) [sarcasm off]

(I added the brackets because there is always someone who takes things too seriously)

Bill508

Rinkside
If they skated nude it would be standing room only believe me:biggrin. All joking aside, most people only see it during the Oly. If TV would carry more of the events, I think it might catch on however alot of guys in the USA assume its a "girly-man" sport unlike football, NASCAR etc. At least my friends do but I don't think that at all. I hope no is offended by that but I think its somewhat true in the attitude of men in the USA. Now you know why I rarely post but just lurk on the board.

Tinika

Rinkside
Well, tickets are expensive. Also (and I'm sure many will disagree with me here), skating just doesn't have many 'personalities' anymore. There are a few; Belbin and Agosto, Brian Joubert, and of course Michelle Kwan. But there aren't the Katarina Witts, the Torvill and Deans, the Kurt Brownings. I think the sparkling personalities were one of the things that kept average spectators watching skating for as long as they did after 1994. Now, well...Sasha is prickly at best, Kimmie is a nice girl, the Russians are remote, and the Chinese seem fairly robotic. I'm not intending to generalize too much, but that's my take on it.

Tinika, that was the most complete piece of analytic writing on this subject I have ever read. Are you the author? (I see you have a similar "name," LOL.)

Anyway, :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :rock:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
This wasn't an elimination of the pro/am distinction, it was just an incursion of the eligibles into the professional events without reciprocation.
Exactly!!!! The eligible skaters have to give up nothing to perform with and compete against professional skaters, yet the most prestigious professional events became a banquet from which they could feast without giving anything back or up.

There was no incentive except career-ending injury to become a professional skater when anyone could compete in the pro-ams. If the only way, for example, for a new Olympic champion to beat the Ilia Kuliks and Kurt Brownings or their new idols was to turn professional and compete at World Pros, then, perhaps, more skaters would turn professional and there would be thriving professional ranks.

I do think that World Pros did undermine itself with it's invitational format; had it be a judged qualification event, more and more skaters would have identified as professionals.

Tinika

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Tinika, that was the most complete piece of analytic writing on this subject I have ever read. Are you the author? (I see you have a similar "name," LOL.)

Anyway, :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :rock:

Ha, no! My actual first name is Tina, but I can't claim credit, though I do also work as a writer.

76olympics

On the Ice
I don't know but I think I missed my best chance to see a skating show during the 90s boom. My husband and I tried twice to see COI this year-Savannah and Jacksonville- and both were cancelled. At that point, I gave up. Two credit card refunds are plenty for me. Evidently, unless you live in a very big city (although Jax is pretty big), you aren't big enough for this show. I don't think SOI has ever come to Savannah.

Thank goodness for video!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think in the US it's that whole thing of stigma... a lot of guys won't watch unless it's bloody and violent (hence the BOOM in 1994) and the Johnny Weir's of the sport scare most away

there are exceptions, not all guys are like that, and there are women who are like that as well... but for the most part of America... *shrug*

does it frustrate me? heck yeah!

tie that in with teh corrupt judging and the ISU being poopy and yeah.. not a lot of interest

and on a personal level *I* would be at more events if I could afford it, but it costs just as much if not more to fly roundtrip from Alaska to anywhere plus hotel, food, and the cost of tickets and yeah I can go to Disneyworld and back for the same (really less) and so it's difficult (even if I weren't a college student)

and skating only comes here once every 10 years so *shrugs*

sk8mom

Spectator
I've often wondered if skating's lack of popularity has anything to do with the fact that most fans don't skate - you're either a participant or a fan, with little crossover.

But most other popular sports - hockey, football, golf - lend themselves to participation by weekend athletes. This ends up increasing interest and awareness in watching AND playing.

Not sure what the answer here is - but more awareness of skating and more participation by all ages and abilities sure wouldn't hurt.

It competes with other sports which use uniforms and not sequins. even gymnastics use uniforms as does equestrian, diving, etc. Only a select fan can understand those costumes.

Joe

Tinika

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
It competes with other sports which use uniforms and not sequins. even gymnastics use uniforms as does equestrian, diving, etc. Only a select fan can understand those costumes.

Joe

Except the ice-dancing ones. I don't think even the MOST devoted fan can understand those.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Dinner with "$10 a minute" and the "$5 a minute crew."

Funny how things work out my way sometimes, yep he payed.;)

I had a very interesting conversation with an incredibly savvy business man (my BIG boss) and the entourage today talking about Figure skating and ratings. I am still in awh that they were interested, but Mr. S brought up the fact that Tanith had won "hottest female athlete" on the Tonight Show after someone else was mentioning knowing Gretchen B. and her photos in FMF or something (sasha did not come up:scratch: ). His point of view is, "the more video that is filmed, the more people will use our equipment." So this conversation was surprisingly easy to get his input on, as well as the table (whatever the boss says...).

The best Idea however I feel I have to pat myself on the back for. When surrounded by genius a little will rub off.
Real time Scoreboard, may seem improbable, yet you understand that most broadcasts a delayed anyway a few more seconds isn't noticed by the viewer anyway. Delay it for 2 minutes and let the scores come up as the athletes perform and the points awarded for the elements - as it happens, Like a touchdown or crossing the plate.

Review is made in any sport and the justification is followed with video, so changes - if slight- are accepted (willingly or not, all the better, for the more you trow stuff at the Telli, the more you'll be likely to watch again). Artistic scores are the "clincher" at the end that gets you biting you nails because you followed along, you know the technical scores and now the point where (because the audience is following and feel like they know what is going on) will start "Talking to the screen" - like most of us diehards do to FS and most of them already do in the case of a reviewed play of sports they follow. Again that all important word "follow."

This came after a few minutes of conversation on what they think is "lacking" in the sport. And really it comes down to a definitive score that you can follow while you are watching. Maybe the Judges would feel the pressure as the refs in other sports do - but as I have found from response - that is also a aspect that spectators enjoy about sports. The refs under pressure, seeing a face you can hate, and being able to disagree as it happens has much more to due with blood pressure than sitting back for awhile and waiting.......... Calming down is not operative when watching sports.

They seem to apprehensively admit, " it is hard to know what is happening because there is no tangible score or something you can "see" as all the action is happening." They give you all that information after you watch the exciting part and expect you to "put it all together as they ramble off the scores." Gymnastics and Dressage were brought up as having the same problem ( I guess one of them has a kid in horseback riding). Regardless to say they all (but AG:p ) got the wide eye look of YES!!!!!! That might be a good idea with the little nodding thing that is so funny and satisfying to watch a table of "big wigs" with food in their mouths.

No one seemed to care about the Kiss and cry, no one cared if they wore sexier outfits - uniforms brought a resounding laugh to the table, get to know the individuals better only becomes relevant if the sport is avidly followed in the first place. The bios are great, the "regional differences" are even more compelling and the idea that "so and so is dating or married to so and so" was very attractive to the ladies at the table but they had no idea because they don't watch enough. And even though I was at a table with people who could pay the high fees of admission to an event - drop in the bucket for most of them - the "Gasp" at how much tickets for a competition was a sign that this is an issue. They did not think that COI was to high at all though.

When it comes down to Olympic time (when they watched) they were to busily trying to figure out who was who, and who might win to "get a gist on any athletes personal life." Other sports come back from commercial - like in the rest of the seasons of figure skating - and give that little bio when you are waiting for the game to start, so you are watching. Oly.s bounce all over the place from athlete to country.

One main point that I wasn't to sure on how to address, is people develop TV watching and Event participation habits. These habits develop over "getting a little taste now and then." Yet the thing that brought back the whole issue I developed was the fact they love to come to work and say, " did you see that one ........ I can't believe they got a .... for that!" If they don't know what thing they got what score for (specific move) then they will never have this conversation.

Other Ideas they voiced - some similar to my own - pat pat;

Age groups that are similar to drinking and dating ages. Odd that I was just bringing this up in the forum recently. As far as the countries having different opinions on this, they didn't care and mentioned at least the US Nat.s could be this way - although it was called the "US events."

Smaller arenas to make it a more "elite" event justifying the ticket prices and "enticing people with the ambiance."

More commercial time to advertise, and when you advertise you have got to play up the "Sexuality" aspects (another reason for the age of 18 and do the "cutesy" thing in the daytime for the under 18). I really have to agree with that one aspect alone. Watching Bee Bee or Alyssa is impressive and all, but the "Ladies" just bring that something extra to the sport that "kids" just can't.

Better sound - over dubbed music sync. Just play the same music over the studios tracks to get the high quality sound without that "weird hollow echo." Even having the option of choosing commentary or just music was brought up.

Better Music - more popular at the very least, " change the rules or whatever, that music just say to me OUTDATED!"

More comments about where the skaters are from. No one seemed to know they even mention where the skaters are skating from / for. Academy was not important as the city or area.

They also liked the Idea of "pay per click" downloadable high resolution videos. Why wouldn't they, that is what we store.

Anyhoo, feed back and such would be great and I feel pretty "gittie" just going to dinner with them again, and this time we got to talk about what I like! Great night, I hope my favorite "sport / event / entertainment" is helped by this feedback.

Come on now, most of you know better then any of us that were at the "round table" tonight. Chop it up, rip it apart. Why will it or wont it? Give us / me / the skating community the expertise that is so prevalent on this forum.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Wow, what I wouldn't give for a banner across the bottom that described the element and level, base score, GOE, and total, as it happened. With a running total to boot. That would make the scoring much more transparent.

And when the final PCS were added, comparing the scores to personal best, with Score to Beat displayed prominently.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
90% complete, great info, but suggestion or solution. That's where we can help!!!!!!

Tinika said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but here's an interesting article related to the subject:

http://www.skatetoday.com/articles0506/040506_1.htm

Great article, and very informative from the "Skater or the already watching."

I think it is great to see the women making equal to the men!!!! At the same time it is sadly declining.:no:

But.......

It's the "Joe Shome" that isn't watching. Some one in marketing needed to write this article with Tina Tyan.

hockeyfan228 said:
Wow, what I wouldn't give for a banner across the bottom that described the element and level, base score, GOE, and total, as it happened. With a running total to boot. That would make the scoring much more transparent.

And when the final PCS were added, comparing the scores to personal best, with Score to Beat displayed prominently.
Yeah, yeah. That's the way to go. Let's at least read what the Tech Asst is calling at the time of his calling. Throw in the running total together with thePCS and we have what fans get at the ball park.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Tinika said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but here's an interesting article related to the subject:

http://www.skatetoday.com/articles0506/040506_1.htm

Thanks for posting. Very interesting article.

Here are my thoughts:

There is no prestige in pro skating anymore. Ever since the eligibles started earning money and competing against the pros in pro-ams there was no incentive for anybody to turn pro. The only exceptions may be burnout- having to train for the eligible competitions with their pressure- like B&S's case, or injury like Angelika Krylova's which made it impossible for her to compete at the eligible level. The pro team challenges are essentially cheesefests with the results being predetermined. I don't see how any self respecting pro skater can feel good about that kind of 'win'. They are there essentially to entertain and make a little extra money. Nothing wrong with wanting both of these things, but IMO they are done competing. Without serious pro competitions there can be no continuity.

It is not like there have not been well known, top quality skaters in the amateur/eligible ranks, but the sport is not marketed well. Most people see it as fluff, and not a sport, mostly out of ignorance about the athletic talent that is needed. The Olympics take place once every four years but the world championships are an annual event. Most non-FS people I talked to did not even know that they were taking place in Calgary. What kind of advertising is this? The ISU and the media need to do a much better job of selling their product.

I see the low level Tennis tournaments (outside the 4 major events), low level golf tournaments (outside the 4 majors and the 1 big nonmajor) being televised live for several hours. Why can't FS show LIVE events of the GP series? When they show competitions that took place 2-3 weeks ago or even 1 week ago, it creates an impression that the results are not as important as the show aspect.

Skimpy costumes in ice dancing (and some ladies) have not helped either. It is hard for anyone to think of it as a sport, even though the intent of the skater was to present it as a complete package. Only FS fans know the kind of athleticism involved in skating those programs. For others the costumes can be distracting.

Finally, the big M- for money. With the economy going down and prices of everything rising, it is hard for people to shell out $60-$120 per person to go to a FS show like COI or SOI. IMO the competition tickets are still affordable for individual events, but all events tickets for worlds are tough to sell at those prices (Calgary 2006). People do pay money for what they value, and FS is not seen as worth spending the money on. Again it comes down to marketing.

That's my 2 cents.

Vash