Why isn't Figure Skating MORE popular? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why isn't Figure Skating MORE popular?

Vash01

Medalist
hockeyfan228 said:
Wow, what I wouldn't give for a banner across the bottom that described the element and level, base score, GOE, and total, as it happened. With a running total to boot. That would make the scoring much more transparent.

And when the final PCS were added, comparing the scores to personal best, with Score to Beat displayed prominently.

IMO the banner would be not only difficult but distracting as well. I don't believe the scores will be posted until they have been verified. From my perspective, I would not want to be distracted by scores while watching the performance.

At the most recent worlds, at the end of the routine they did show the personal best, and when the scores appeared the audience applauded when the skater had established a new personal best. So that part works.

Vash

Vash01 said:
I see the low level Tennis tournaments (outside the 4 major events), low level golf tournaments (outside the 4 majors and the 1 big nonmajor) being televised live for several hours. Why can't FS show LIVE events of the GP series? When they show competitions that took place 2-3 weeks ago or even 1 week ago, it creates an impression that the results are not as important as the show aspect.
But which is the chicken and which is the egg? Does no one watch figure skating because the television coverage is so bad? Or is television coverage so bad because no one watches figure skating?

After all, it's not "FS" that puts things on TV. It's the television networks and the corporate sponsors.

(I agree that the after-the-fact coverage of the GP events on ESPN2 has no interest even for avid skating fans. Anyone who cares enough to watch has already followed the event live over the Internet, seen all the videos, and discussed it to pieces, long before television deigns to get into the act.)

Skimpy costumes in ice dancing (and some ladies) have not helped either. It is hard for anyone to think of it as a sport, even though the intent of the skater was to present it as a complete package. Only FS fans know the kind of athleticism involved in skating those programs. For others the costumes can be distracting.
To me, it is the men's costumes that are the problem. Beach volleyball, for instance, is not hurt by having the ladies wear bikinis.

But those dandy figure skating gentlemen in their sequins and ribbons -- IMHO, that is something that the average sports fan will smirk at.

About the real time scoring banner, assuming all the technical difficulties could be overcome (I don't see why not), yes, the true blue skating fan would find it to be a distraction, much as the chatter of the commentators is. Just show us the program.

But I wonder if maybe this is something that the dyed-in-the-wool fans might be willing to concede if, as a trade off, it drew in more casual fans.

I think it would be cool to see someone do a triple flip, and see the running score jump from 33.6 to 39.1 when she landed it! Just maybe that would make the sport more exciting and intelligible to the average viewer.

To me, it's well worth a try, anyway.

MM :)

Vash01 said:
IMO the banner would be not only difficult but distracting as well. I don't believe the scores will be posted until they have been verified. From my perspective, I would not want to be distracted by scores while watching the performance.

At the most recent worlds, at the end of the routine they did show the personal best, and when the scores appeared the audience applauded when the skater had established a new personal best. So that part works.

Vash
Vash - Don't you think once you see it on TV it was probably already a done deal a week ago?

Joe

Lonewolf

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
I see the low level Tennis tournaments (outside the 4 major events), low level golf tournaments (outside the 4 majors and the 1 big nonmajor) being televised live for several hours. Why can't FS show LIVE events of the GP series? When they show competitions that took place 2-3 weeks ago or even 1 week ago, it creates an impression that the results are not as important as the show aspect.

Mathman said:
(I agree that the after-the-fact coverage of the GP events on ESPN2 has no interest even for avid skating fans. Anyone who cares enough to watch has already followed the event live over the Internet, seen all the videos, and discussed it to pieces, long before television deigns to get into the act.)

I also have to agree with this. I found that it took a lot of discipline to wait until ESPN2 would show a GP event and not look at the internet. Even when I tried, I would inadvertently stumble across something so that I knew the results before I watched. It would be nice if skating events could be live.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
attyfan said:
[sarcasm on] Also, I think that MK and SC are largely to blame because, for many years now, they have willfully failed to whack each other on the kneecaps (or to get together to whack someone else) [sarcasm off]
I think this time we should have a different sort of scandal to get a ratings boost. Michelle and Sasha should pull and Thelma and Louise and go off on a cross-country vigilante run. Or perhaps it could be revealed that they are secret lovers. Or perhaps they can just do an old fashioned media war where Michelle says Sasha is anorexic and Sasha says Michelle had plastic surgery on her breasts.

To me, it seemed figure skating had a decent cult following prior to The Whack. After The Whack, it exploded and skating was everywhere. In time, the market became oversaturated and the general public and casual fans got sick of skating. It began to decline from the peak. What concerns me is that it seems that the popularity of skating has gone below where it was BEFORE The Whack.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't think here in Canada figure skating has lost its appeal. The big ticket items - like the Worlds, the Olympics etc. are expensive, but people love to skate here and are still signing up for lessons at their local rinks. Of course, hockey is the big, big thing here, but even some of the hockey players take skating lessons from the likes of Karen Magnussen. After all, hockey players do have to learn to skate somewhere.

I am confident figure skating is thriving in Canada. It may at times get overshadowed by hockey, but our figure skaters have their share of the fans.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Do we feel like this is something that might help the "dyed-in-the-wool" (awesome comment "Math dude") "FEEL LIKE" they know what's going on.

After all the feed back from, said lack luster fans, is just that they don't know what's going on. Do you think it would draw them into believing that they might, or at least be able to "fake it" until they get the gist? And wouldn't the "points on the bottom" (side, little box on the left, whatever is best) do just that - start educating?

I think one good bit of advice the ISU, this forum and the skaters themselves should note, No one really cares about the costumes being to sexy, to prude or even flashy.
You can go to Vegas for that. Just look nice and (oh man I hate to use this word but it is coming to mind - maybe it will make a come back?) "Decorous." - meaning fit the tone of the moment. Thanks "JTVCR" for bringing it back from the dead.

What about the "dating and drinking age" thing. Is this conceivable? Protecting our youth is very important to allot of people, and the slightest indication that they should be "older before their time" really upsets Moms, Dads and even Uncles like myself. If I hear one more comment about my niece being a hotty, I am going to ..... I know I should let it go, but it just bugs me to think she is only 16....over protective I know.

MORE, MORE, MORE! I don't know if anyone out there is involved in marketing, but I don't think that figure skating can try the same process and expect different results. It is a totally different market than 10 years ago, and we're loosing out to the sports that have "the little score in the corner" even though this is the most diverse and and visually appealing sports. Not to leave out the fact it IS one of the most difficult athletically.

I have been speaking with the "joe Shmoes" and this really seems appealing.

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Vash - Don't you think once you see it on TV it was probably already a done deal a week ago?

Joe

LOL! If it's a GP, definitely yes.

I would still hate seeing that banner on the screen while the skating was going on. We might as well not have any music in that case, and let the skaters just do jumps and spins and get points for those.

Vash

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I guess I forgot to take into consideration those who can't watch a subtitled movie because reading and watching are just too much to handle.

I wonder how all the "Football heads" handle the games, they are not possibly quick enough to see action and a score in the corner???? What, how, whos hunh?

The only problem I have with the "banners," is when they change the aspect ratio - that's buggy. But then again I like foreign films too.

jesslily

Final Flight
Comparing with other sports, such as all the "balls", figure skating has always been a small and expensive sport. Skates, ice time, and coaching fee can easily add up to $20000 a year. Since the gas cost increases so much, so does the cost for every day's living, how many families are willing to spend this amount of money just for a kid's sport? And many smart parents from their kids' early years performance know it's not worth to invest further, and it's better to save for college tuition.

Figure skating also needs special facilities which costs more to maintain. In any town, there are more facilities for track and field and basket balls than for figure skating. Most skating rinks rather rent the ice to hockey than to figure skating clubs.
It's easier to make money from hocky.

Figure skating is one of the hardest sports. Gymnastics is harder, but it's not that expensive as skating. So there are more kids doing it. Both skating and gymnastics need participants spending long hours to learn the tricks, to be able fly and twist in the air. Without mastering these tricks, there are no joy to talk about being a figure skater or gymnist.

Vash01 said:

At the most recent worlds, at the end of the routine they did show the personal best, and when the scores appeared the audience applauded when the skater had established a new personal best. So that part works.Vash
I think a sliver that pops in view revealing the Tech Asst's call would at least be something for making the sport more interesting for the viewer. It would also keep the Tech Asst on his toes.

Joe

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Enough Already With The High Service Charges!

The service charges attached to ticket prices is killing a lot of live entertainment, not just skating, IMO. I live near Toronto and was interested in going to see Stars On Ice at the Air Canada Centre in a few weeks. They want $45 for very mediocre seats 25 rows back in the end of the arena. I was actually considering it until I got a look at the extra fees. There is a $1.25 "facility charge" per ticket, and an asinine $9.25 per ticket "convienience fee". This means $10.50 added to the $45. (x 2 of course) A very nearly 25% add-on! Don't even get me started on how much it would cost me to park downtown on a Friday night. So instead of paying well over $100 for a pair of tickets where the skaters are only a rumour, we are staying home instead. I wonder how many people are doing the same thing across North America? Lots, if Worlds were any indication. The crowds in Calgary were certainly enthusiastic but dismally small.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Shmuzzy said:
The service charges attached to ticket prices is killing a lot of live entertainment, not just skating, IMO. I live near Toronto and was interested in going to see Stars On Ice at the Air Canada Centre in a few weeks. They want $45 for very mediocre seats 25 rows back in the end of the arena. I was actually considering it until I got a look at the extra fees. There is a $1.25 "facility charge" per ticket, and an asinine $9.25 per ticket "convienience fee". This means $10.50 added to the $45. (x 2 of couse) A very nearly 25% add-on! Don't even get me started on how much it would cost me to park downtown on a Friday night. So instead of paying well over $100 for a pair of ticket where the skaters are only a rumour, we are staying home instead. I wonder how many people are doing the same thing across North America? Lots, if Worlds were any indication. The crowds in Calgary were certainly enthusiastic but dismally small.

ITA about service charges. Every time I buy tickets from ticketmaster, there is this HUGE service charge added to each ticket, which makes it even less affordable. A friend of mine bought 5 tickets at the arena instead of through ticketmasters. I was shocked when I heard the 'low' price she paid.

However, I agree that even without the service charges these ticket prices are very steep, even for mediocre seats.

Vash

IDLERACER

Medalist
People like seeing a grudge match, which the sport hasn't had since 1994. By necessity, competitive skaters all have to get along, because they know they're going to wind up touring the country together in C.O.I, after the season is over.

If ABC wants to get more male viewers, they've got to show more advertisements of female skaters in skimpy costumes during the week. Even if it's not exactly for the right reasons, that's what's going to get Joe beercan to tune in.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It recently occurred to me that one thing affecting the popularity of pro skating is that Oly eligible skaters have many more options than they used to have. For example, even Debi Thomas, who finished her undergraduate degree while competing, still had to skate professionally for a few years to replenish the treasury before attending medical school. Now, even when skaters retire from Oly eligible skating, they don't have to turn pro. Sarah Hughes (I don't believe she'll come back) is one clear example; Sasha Cohen talking about going into acting could be another.

Interesting point, Attyfan. Dorothy Hamill said about her Olympic experience, in those days it was either win the gold medal and skate with Ice Capades [which she eventually bought], or get silver and go back home and be a secretary.

Is "rock, paper, scissors" a sport?

News item today that 264 competitors met in Las Vegas over the weekend to contest the world championship in the popular sport of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

This sport (derived from the prehistoric game of Rock, Rock, Rock) is a true sport because it does not have any fishy French judging or frilly spangled costumes.

The winner got $50,000 -- the same prize that Kimmie won in Calgary for being world champion in her sport.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
News item today that 264 competitors met in Las Vegas over the weekend to contest the world championship in the popular sport of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

This sport (derived from the prehistoric game of Rock, Rock, Rock) is a true sport because it does not have any fishy French judging or frilly spangled costumes.

The winner got $50,000 -- the same prize that Kimmie won in Calgary for being world champion in her sport.

:rofl:

I wonder how much training these athletes do?!

Ant

IDLERACER

Medalist
Mathman said:
:eek:hwell: This falls into the same categorey as championship poker. I'll never understand how one can stage a "tournament" with a game that is based entirely on chance. The contestants are essentially competing to find out who will be the luckiest. What's next, championship musical chairs?