Why only 6 to the GPF? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why only 6 to the GPF?

bekalc

Record Breaker
My point was the GP Finalists are not necessarily the best skaters in the World. They are the skaters who placed high in their two GP events. That is all.

OGM winner Shizuka Arakawa and 2006 World Champion Kimmie Meissner did not make the GPF in 2005-2006.

Well, I think part of the problem in the past is for example some of the best skaters would drop out of the GP, or you had new skaters Mao and Yu-na and they were adequately rated in the new system... This year, with Mao, Yu-na, and Miki not facing each other, I think we are more likely to see the six best skaters.

As for Arakawa, she really wasn't skating that well in the beginning of the season. Pretty good, but not as great as she needed to be, same with Meissner.

Based on their skaters, neither girl deserved to make the GPF that year . Although Arakawa did have the toughest assignments, so if she had been at NHK, she probably would have made it.

Jasper

Final Flight
In a way, it's very much like the sport of tennis in which the draw can decide everything. Luck is definitely involved. If you draw a weak event with few top skaters, the chance is there to steal a spot into the GPF over someone who may be better than you and score higher BUT drew a tougher event and got fewer "GP points." I wouldn't have a problem if they took the top six scorers instead of the top six point earners, but I wouldn't promote it either - I'm indifferent. But I don't like the new point system as much as the old; the old one placed more emphasis on the gold medal.

And I like keeping it to six in each disicipline. It makes it more elite and more separate from Worlds. We don't need another Worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As for Arakawa, she really wasn't skating that well in the beginning of the season. Pretty good, but not as great as she needed to be, same with Meissner.

Based on their skaters, neither girl deserved to make the GPF that year . Although Arakawa did have the toughest assignments, so if she had been at NHK, she probably would have made it.

Really? Here are the total scores (for two events) for the GP Finalists (bolded) and alternates from the 2005-2006 GP:
394.18 SLUTSKAYA
359.02 ASADA
346.90 ARAKAWA
327.62 CZISNY
326.64 ANDO
325.52 ROCHETTE
315.54 SOKOLOVA
308.20 NAKANO
293.38 ONDA

Arakawa faced Slutskaya and Asada in one event, and Asada and Cohen in the other.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Okay, so most of the enthus are satisfied with 6 to the GPF.

But there still remains some odd feeling to this system.
Looking at chuckm's post, I thought that combining the earned COP points (factored) and the GP placement points would be fairer....

Besides, why 800 points for the ISU standings if you win the GPF and only 400 for each GP?
I think that's awarding too much as standings.
Giving $$$ for medalists in the GPF is all fine, though.

Besides, why 800 points for the ISU standings if you win the GPF and only 400 for each GP?

Well, with the seeding procedure that's in place now, the top seeds are pretty much guaranteed to face much tougher competition in the finals than in the single events.

For instance, Asada, Kim, and Ando will never have to skate against each other until the finals, and they will face only one of Meissner, Nakano, and Kostner in any one event.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Okay, so most of the enthus are satisfied with 6 to the GPF.

But there still remains some odd feeling to this system.
Looking at chuckm's post, I thought that combining the earned COP points (factored) and the GP placement points would be fairer....

Giving $$$ for medalists in the GPF is all fine, though.

I don't think it's fairer to combine COP points and GP placements. Because everyone isn't being judged by the same judges.

For example, what if the next couple of technical callers are much more leniant than the one at Skate America. Already you will see huge point descrepencies..

The GP is basically a tournment, where everyone is seeded....Sometimes it sucks but you might end up facing a better team earlier in the tournment than you should, this kind of stuff happens.. But in the end, the best skater tends to win..

For example last year, all of the World medalists made the GPF.. I think that right there is a pretty clear sign, something is going down right.

If everyone who medaled at the GP got to go to the final, I don't think the final would be as exciting...Nor would the original GP series.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's a good point---about the strict caller at Skate America. If any of the skaters at SA are in a tie for a GPF spot, then the two-event point total comes into play. The SA skaters could be at a HUGE disadvantage because of this.

It's going to be interesting to see if caller nitpicking is going to become the standard or not.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It is very easy to see why only 6. The GP final is supposed to be for the elite skaters who performed the best on the GP circuit. It is supposed to be a very select group who earn the right to go there. Having more then that would make no sense.

sorcerer

Final Flight
The weight of GPF in the weekly rankings?

Well I don't think that will give reason for 6, such reason may allow 4,5,7...or 8 as in JGPF. :)

But anyways, seeing Mao 3rd in the SC's short program convinced me that
1. smaller the number to the Final, the more thrill in each GP, agreed(!);
but that
2. such thrill is mainly for the top 10 or so skaters and their fans, other next-to-the-very-top skaters must find other motivations to participate in the GP series.
(In that aspect, Emily is doing a marvelous job so far, given that result already from SA.)

...The convenience for practice sessions, I nod as the reason for 6.

BTW, the GP/GPF points will give you maximum of 1200 points to a skater's ISU standings, which is the same as a Gold in the one and only WC.
That's okay, but how does GPF show itself in the (Removed by admin - see Announcement)'s weekly rankings?
I can't find enough explanations on that website and imagine ISU standings points are used but levelled flat to 400 max per game, am I right?

sorcerer

Final Flight
Oh. I'm sorry.
I read that linking there was no good, but seems like even mentioning isn't preferable for a while...