Why Trophee Eric Bompard is no longer | Golden Skate

Why Trophee Eric Bompard is no longer

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/11/07/208026636

Really revealing interview with Eric Bompard, the founder of the clothing brand that sponsored the event for some 17 years (and 11 as the sole sponsor).
Bompard: In 2014, the Trophée was forced to leave Paris, as the arena was undergoing major construction. We moved to Bordeaux. We understood and accepted (it). The arena was not ready on time, and it was empty. Then in 2015, they said it would be held in Bordeaux again, although the Paris arena had reopened. The competition was cancelled halfway (through), after the terrorist attacks in Paris -- except all the funds we had given were not cancelled at all! None of it came back to us.
Throughout last spring, we tried to figure out whether the Trophée would take place at all in 2016, after these two years. We inquired with the French federation. I suppose that people then were focusing on the ISU elections (where Didier Gailhaguet, the president of the French Federation of Ice Sports, was one of the candidates). Nothing came back. We wrote at the start of the summer to say that it was more than time for us to make our own decision and commitment. We got no answer. We couldn't wait any longer, so I decided that we had done our time.

Icenetwork: So you won't sponsor skating anymore?
Bompard: Everything has to come to an end, I suppose. I have no regrets, except the process itself. The pain won't last, but all this could have happened in a much better way.
It's not worth doing all we did to be left out the way we were. Yet don't get mistaken: I really hope that the Grand Prix of France meets with great success. Such a competition is really difficult to organize, and I do hope that it is a real success for everyone. It won't be us anymore, but I may switch my TV set to see the event.
It's tough to pass on after something you've loved with passion. We've done it, and we've done it well. The stitches are still quite new -- now we need time to put order into our files and put them aside.

Wow, FFSG really blew it! It sounded like Eric Bompard was a committed sponsor but just were tired of being neglected. Good thing Gailhaguet isn't ISU president -- can you imagine the damage he do to much more major sponsors?

Lysambre

Final Flight
This is absolutely shameful for the FFSG.

Rather than what they blew, someone should make a list of what the FFSG did NOT blew. It would be a very very, extremely short list. Might even be a non-existant list.

I sent them about two dozen questions regarding the organisation of both the GPFrance and the GPfinale and got approximatively as many answers as Bompard did. And by that, I mean none.

I'm sort of hoping the ISU takes back that French GP and gives it to a country which actually has an interest in organising it. I'm sick of my own country making a joke out of it every single year.

TMC

Record Breaker
I could hardly believe it when I read this today. Utter incompetence. ISU dodged a bullet there.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wasn't the competition called Trophee Lalique ?

Yes. When the sponsor was Lalique, which is a crystal company. Eric Bompard co-sponsored it with them for a few years, before being the sole sponsor in 2004.

A total coup for FFSG to get two luxury sponsors -- too bad they threw them away. So lame.

stella luna

Final Flight
And to offer no answer at all ... the height of rudeness and disrespect.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/11/07/208026636

Really revealing interview with Eric Bompard, the founder of the clothing brand that sponsored the event for some 17 years (and 11 as the sole sponsor).

Wow, FFSG really blew it! It sounded like Eric Bompard was a committed sponsor but just were tired of being neglected. Good thing Gailhaguet isn't ISU president -- can you imagine the damage he do to much more major sponsors?

Mattieu

Medalist
And to offer no answer at all ... the height of rudeness and disrespect.

The FFSG is known for not answering emails and phone calls :(
For that I am very embarrassed to be French :(
I've also heard from the skaters in previous years that when they got to major championships, the FFSG hadn't sent any of their details to the competition organisers, so they had to give all the information such as music, program layouts etc. on arrival!

FFSG sadly is one of the worst run Feds, and yet Didier felt he could run the ISU well ?????

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Wow I had no idea. Shameful shenanigans by the FFSG.

Thank you Mr. Bompard and your organizers for all your hard work over the years.

stella luna

Final Flight
Living up to the French stereotype, which I know is false.

The FFSG is known for not answering emails and phone calls :(
For that I am very embarrassed to be French :(
I've also heard from the skaters in previous years that when they got to major championships, the FFSG hadn't sent any of their details to the competition organisers, so they had to give all the information such as music, program layouts etc. on arrival!

FFSG sadly is one of the worst run Feds, and yet Didier felt he could run the ISU well ?????

Sorrento

Record Breaker
That interview just added another couple of cents to the garbage bin of their shenanigans. So much disrespect to the major sponsor. I just recalled how they WD Brian from GP events because he decided to not take part in French Masters (is that the right name?), then what amount of money they asked to let Bruno Massot skate with Alyona Savchenko. Seriously, those guys have no shame.
I wonder why Eric Bompard did not sue French federation for not returning at least part of funds after competition cancellation last year? It was a force majeure, yes, but still- half of competition was not held, where's the money? Ugh...:angry2:

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow - that's a shocker. I've always thought the French Federation was kind of hinky but this really cements it. Kind of feel sorry for the skaters. It was always a beautiful competition and I remember the gorgeous trophies.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I feel sorry for everyone who has to put up with French Fed. Is there any way to change president and board? I can't believe how they could blew a major sponsor :dumb:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
The competition was cancelled halfway (through), after the terrorist attacks in Paris -- except all the funds we had given were not cancelled at all!

To chime in on this part. For what it is worth Gracie Gold did say the skaters were awarded their prize money for their SP placements at TEB last year. So while those funds were not returned, they also were not kept by the French association.

And really a good chunk of the funds like were spent and gone by the time of the attack - like meals and transport and hotels, those were still an expense even if the events was cancelled.

I am not sure what funds there really were available to "cancel" other than the exhibition bonuses...and possible some other expenses directly tied to the exhibition.

That is not to say there were still not disrespectful jerks (the French association)... but this part did kinda stand out to me as a bit... well odd.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
much respect to Eric Bombard and his brand. That really is a shame of the French federation to blew up such a committed sponsor especially knowing the situation of the sport in the country where other sponsors won't rush to take their place.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
To chime in on this part. For what it is worth Gracie Gold did say the skaters were awarded their prize money for their SP placements at TEB last year. So while those funds were not returned, they also were not kept by the French association.

And really a good chunk of the funds like were spent and gone by the time of the attack - like meals and transport and hotels, those were still an expense even if the events was cancelled.

I am not sure what funds there really were available to "cancel" other than the exhibition bonuses...and possible some other expenses directly tied to the exhibition.

That is not to say there were still not disrespectful jerks (the French association)... but this part did kinda stand out to me as a bit... well odd.

I think it's more that the FFSG didn't even make an effort to make good on the sponsorship given the extraneous circumstances. I don't think he necessarily wanted the money back but just some sort of concession -- maybe some extra promotion at next year's event or something. Or have a say in terms of how to distribute the prize money. I think Bompard probably understands that money was spent already.

It just sounds like they were in the dark the whole time --- even with keeping it in Bourdeux a second year.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think it's more that the FFSG didn't even make an effort to make good on the sponsorship given the extraneous circumstances. I don't think he necessarily wanted the money back but just some sort of concession -- maybe some extra promotion at next year's event or something. Or have a say in terms of how to distribute the prize money. I think Bompard probably understands that money was spent already.

It just sounds like they were in the dark the whole time --- even with keeping it in Bourdeux a second year.

I agree fully that things were not handled right. And I agree some more concessions on the French's part would have been wise... or heck even confirming with them that paying the skaters was a good call. The communication break down to me is more than enough to justify them stopping the sponsorship. And that certainly can include how the money worked out last year.

But to be honest I felt that sentence kinda implied the French Federation got a windfall... and I don't think that is entirely true. It sucks of they never bothered to say "we are still issuing prize money to the skaters" yes, but I just felt like tossing out that at least the skaters got paid as more information. For lack of better way to put it... I think they had valid reasons without including this line of justification.