Why Trophee Eric Bompard is no longer | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why Trophee Eric Bompard is no longer

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I honestly can't imagine not responding to repeated emails from your biggest donor. Like, what organization does that?! Especially when they tell you they're about to walk out the door?

moriel

Record Breaker
I suppose he would be fine with an explanation of where the money was spent.

But when you give a bunch of money to an event, which is cancelled, and then they dont even bother explaining what happened, it looks shady

GF2445

Record Breaker
If they dont find another sponsor soon, maybe the ISU will need to find a new spot for the Grand Prix.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m surprised that Bombard was treated like that.. Even if they had found a new exciting sponsor this is not the way to communicate with people, IMO. Ilia Kulik won Trophée de France in 1995 (it was held in Bordeaux), but otherwise I remember the name Lalique and after that Bompard.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
If they dont find another sponsor soon, maybe the ISU will need to find a new spot for the Grand Prix.

Maybe their new president can put in a good word. we have excellent speed skating facilities in Holland, I am sure they could do something for figure skating, too.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Maybe their new president can put in a good word. we have excellent speed skating facilities in Holland, I am sure they could do something for figure skating, too.

Holland has my vote. Even nearer than Paris for me. :)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Spanish Grand Prix FTW!
In BARCELONA! :-D

Actually I (selfishly!) wouldn't want France to lose their GP... since Paris is so close and easy to reach for me. Better if FFSG finds a new sponsor, treats them with respect, and gets their house in order!

euroskate

Final Flight
To chime in on this part. For what it is worth Gracie Gold did say the skaters were awarded their prize money for their SP placements at TEB last year. So while those funds were not returned, they also were not kept by the French association.

And really a good chunk of the funds like were spent and gone by the time of the attack - like meals and transport and hotels, those were still an expense even if the events was cancelled.

I am not sure what funds there really were available to "cancel" other than the exhibition bonuses...and possible some other expenses directly tied to the exhibition.

That is not to say there were still not disrespectful jerks (the French association)... but this part did kinda stand out to me as a bit... well odd.

there is nothing like an exhíbition Bonus. Skaters are REQUIRED to skate, they don´t get paid for this!

TGee

Record Breaker

An exhibition fee of US$200 per singles skater and US$300 per pairs or dance team is more in the order of an honorarium than a fee for services. Most of these skaters ask for larger fees just to come as special guests to club events.

And it would not cover the buy out of an additional day of coaching services for the competitors who remain for the exhibition.

So, the total sum would be small in comparison to the total cost of the event or the sponsor's contribution.

Nonetheless, the lack of information provided to the sponsor on how the funds were used when the event was cancelled is not just rude, it may violate both accounting standards and fiduciary responsibility depending on French law and the charter for Bompard's corporation.

Bompard's comment is not really inappropriate from that lens. He is saying that, without communication from the French Federation, the funds could have gone anywhere. It's his responsibility to use the sponsorship funds of his firm wisely and to give them only to organizations that will use them for the project/purpose intended.

And, even for a privately held firm, it would not be responsible to provide future sponsorships to a recipient that did not provide information or respond to basic due diligence follow up questions when the event sponsored did not happen in full, no matter how understandable the circumstance.

So, my take on the story is that Bompard is trying to explain why he can't just trust that it was well done, and needs to withdraw as a sponsor.

Frankly, I can't imagine the accountants or legal counsel at another firm advising that it would be ok to give funds to this federation unless this is cleared up.

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I honestly can't imagine not responding to repeated emails from your biggest donor. Like, what organization does that?! Especially when they tell you they're about to walk out the door?

An organization that doesn't care? :confused2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have to wonder if the US skaters will be Bombarded ;) With questions about our new President. I sure hope Gracie skates well here as I could use a little pick me up. Coffee isn't doing the trick this morning.

stella luna

Final Flight
Very punny. And remember, Gracie is defending her title from last year.

I have to wonder if the US skaters will be Bombarded ;) With questions about our new President. I sure hope Gracie skates well here as I could use a little pick me up. Coffee isn't doing the trick this morning.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
A happy Trophy Lalique moment for Me....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjseOlczARQ

The red fence! Not the typical blue fence of Trophée Eric Bompard. I hope TdF retains the blue fence because I'm gonna really miss it if they don't.

By the way, mmrice, you remind me as long as one devotee like you exists, the skater never can be forgotten. :) The Swan Lake program and dress of Maria Butyrskaya are strikingly beautiful. :)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
The red fence! Not the typical blue fence of Trophée Eric Bompard. I hope TdF retains the blue fence because I'm gonna really miss it if they don't.

By the way, mmrice, you remind me as long as one devotee like you exists, the skater never can be forgotten. :) The Swan Lake program and dress of Maria Butyrskaya are strikingly beautiful. :)

After having a bit of a sad day, following Trump's victory. This post made me very happy and I truly appreciate it. Thank you....:thank:

ssffww

On the Ice
That interview just added another couple of cents to the garbage bin of their shenanigans. So much disrespect to the major sponsor. I just recalled how they WD Brian from GP events because he decided to not take part in French Masters (is that the right name?), then what amount of money they asked to let Bruno Massot skate with Alyona Savchenko. Seriously, those guys have no shame.
I wonder why Eric Bompard did not sue French federation for not returning at least part of funds after competition cancellation last year? It was a force majeure, yes, but still- half of competition was not held, where's the money? Ugh...:angry2:

It's certainly possible that the funds had been spent and we're not refunded to the federation. That being said, nothing excuses ignoring a major sponsor like that. The foundation I work for always has clauses in its agreements with sponsors to handle any outcome and we would have bent over backwards to make them happy. It's inexcusable to ignore any sponsor, much less a title sponsor. Shame on them.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
An exhibition fee of US$200 per singles skater and US$300 per pairs or dance team is more in the order of an honorarium than a fee for services. Most of these skaters ask for larger fees just to come as special guests to club events.

Not only is the amount very small compared with the prize money amounts which range from $2,000 to $9,000, but it is not paid to skaters who receive prize money. So it is only paid to those few skaters who finish lower than fifth and are asked to skate in the gala. At most competitions, the total exhibition money is probably much less than the $2,000 prize for fifth place.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
It's certainly possible that the funds had been spent and we're not refunded to the federation. That being said, nothing excuses ignoring a major sponsor like that. The foundation I work for always has clauses in its agreements with sponsors to handle any outcome and we would have bent over backwards to make them happy. It's inexcusable to ignore any sponsor, much less a title sponsor. Shame on them.
They surely were spent but I guess sponsor needed the documents with detalization for their own purposes (Finance Dept). They may have some tax issues because of that.