Will Mao make the Oly team? | Golden Skate

Will Mao make the Oly team?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I hope she does. But if she ends up like she did at COR again, it's simply impossible. Judges may help her with PCS and GOE though.

If she ends up off the podium, what would they do? If Mao comes in 4th, AND if Yukari, Fumie, or Akiko do really well, they may leave Mao home. If Mao is off the podium and the other two girls other than Miki on the podium do just okay, then they may make some excuses for Mao.

If Mao comes in 5th, I feel that she should be left home so that we won't repeat what happened with Miki.

japanice

Rinkside
You can bet your last dollar (or yen) that Mao will be on the Olympic team ... just as in 2006 with Miki, the JSF and JOC have too much money/interests invested in Mao with sponsors. Mao is one of the JOC's symbol athletes and was given an extra $100,000 for training earlier this year. She won't be home in Nagoya watching on TV.

The only question is whether it will be Yukari or Akiko joining Miki and Mao. Fumie has had two tries already.

Bennett

Record Breaker
But I am not sure if they have such flexible rules at this time. They used the "point system" last time to justify Miki's case. She was on the top of the list using that criteria. But I thought that Nationals is the most important factor for the two remaining spots, no?

I agree that they have spent too much money on Mao though. She doesn't even need it with all the sponsors for being the CM queen. I wish she used the money more usefully though. Where did all the money go? She somehow has among the most unfortunate coaching situation (with all my respect to TAT).

What does the Chukyo Univ do if both Mao and Miki are off the podium?

japanice

Rinkside
The only certainty with the selection process was that the top Japanese finisher (if they made the podium) at the Grand Prix Final would be guaranteed a spot for Vancouver, so Miki and Nobunari are already in. There is not much transparency with the JSF. At the end of the day, they can do whatever they want ... and will.

The only way Mao doesn't go to Vancouver is if she gets injured.

Bennett

Record Breaker
If Mao doesn't do well at Nationals and then still selected, I hope Mao does better at Oly than Miki did. Miki was terrible with media craziness, an injury (broken bone), the quad, the program change, and lack of motivation, resulting in 16th.

Mao may do better in that she has less obstacles, basically her single most important focus seems the 3As that have at least so much better success rates than Miki's quad.

But I am worried that unfair selections can make her life more difficult later.

Nadia01

Final Flight
But I am not sure if they have such flexible rules at this time. They used the "point system" last time to justify Miki's case. She was on the top of the list using that criteria. But I thought that Nationals is the most important factor for the two remaining spots, no?

I agree that they have spent too much money on Mao though. She doesn't even need it with all the sponsors for being the CM queen. I wish she used the money more usefully though. Where did all the money go? She somehow has among the most unfortunate coaching situation (with all my respect to TAT).

What does the Chukyo Univ do if both Mao and Miki are off the podium?
I'm confused...?

Miki already got a spot on the Oly team. So even if Miki finishes off podium at the national, it doesn't matter.

Nadia01

Final Flight
If Mao doesn't do well at Nationals and then still selected, I hope Mao does better at Oly than Miki did. Miki was terrible with media craziness, an injury (broken bone), the quad, the program change, and lack of motivation, resulting in 16th.

Mao may do better in that she has less obstacles, basically her single most important focus seems the 3As that have at least so much better success rates than Miki's quad.

But I am worried that unfair selections can make her life more difficult later.
What's going to make it super sucky for Mao later on is the following scenario:

Mao finishes 4th or worse at the national, but gets selected to go anyway.

In Vancouver, Mao does horribly and another Japanese skater medals -- let's say an underdog like Akiko for example. Figure skating fans in Japan are going to wonder...would Japan have gotten another medal (or done better) if they'd sent someone who'd finished ahead of Mao in December instead of Mao? Has the JSF somehow robbed another skater a chance to shine?

That's going to create a super awkward situation for everyone involved in making the decision...but most importantly it's going to be very difficult for Mao.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I'm confused...?

Miki already got a spot on the Oly team. So even if Miki finishes off podium at the national, it doesn't matter.

Getting Mao and Miki in the team is not enough for the univ, having either girl get an OGM was the ultimate goal for the univ to spend an enormous amount of money on the rinks, at the sacrifice of other students and faculty members.

Bennett

Record Breaker
What's going to make it super sucky for Mao later on is the following scenario:

Mao finishes 4th or worse at the national, but gets selected to go anyway.

In Vancouver, Mao does horribly and another Japanese skater medals -- let's say an underdog like Akiko for example. Figure skating fans in Japan are going to wonder...would Japan have gotten another medal (or done better) if they'd sent someone who'd finished ahead of Mao in December instead of Mao? Has the JSF somehow robbed another skater a chance to shine?

That's going to create a super awkward situation for everyone involved in making the decision...but most importantly it's going to be very difficult for Mao.

Exactly. Both Yukari and Akiko could have some medal potential if top ladies have major meltdowns AND if they skate their best. Esp. Yukari would get a lot of sympathy because she missed it last time when Miki did horribly. Besides, other than Mao, the chance will be perhaps the last one for these three ladies (Yukari, Fumie, and Akiko).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I seriously hope Akiko makes the team, to me her skating is far superior to Yukari and Fumie. As for Mao, I don't think Japan would begrudge her a spot on the team, it they did, she could probably get a lawsuit and win. Just think, if she were allowed to have gone in 2006 she probably would have won the OGM. That being said, I hope she gets it together. She seems to have a very bad attitude I noticed, at both TEB and COR she sat in the Kiss and Cry brooding and picking at her glove, she looked bored and pissed off. When most other skaters skate poorly, they look sad or cry, Mao just looks mopey

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Despite her bad season so far, mao has such an ability to pick herself up again that it's unlikelyshe'll be off the olympic team.

chloepoco

Medalist
I seriously hope Akiko makes the team, to me her skating is far superior to Yukari and Fumie. As for Mao, I don't think Japan would begrudge her a spot on the team, it they did, she could probably get a lawsuit and win. Just think, if she were allowed to have gone in 2006 she probably would have won the OGM. That being said, I hope she gets it together. She seems to have a very bad attitude I noticed, at both TEB and COR she sat in the Kiss and Cry brooding and picking at her glove, she looked bored and pissed off. When most other skaters skate poorly, they look sad or cry, Mao just looks mopey

This just goes to show you that different people see different things. I thought she looked very sad and disappointed in herself, certainly not mopey. And, I thought kudos to her for not crying while in the Kiss and Cry.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Getting Mao and Miki in the team is not enough for the univ, having either girl get an OGM was the ultimate goal for the univ to spend an enormous amount of money on the rinks, at the sacrifice of other students and faculty members.

They gambled, so they should be ready to take the loss.

TBH I thought it was ridiculous that the uni spent that much money.

I wonder if it has something to do w/ Mao staying in Japan.

Bennett

Record Breaker
They gambled, so they should be ready to take the loss.

TBH I thought it was ridiculous that the uni spent that much money.

I wonder if it has something to do w/ Mao staying in Japan.

I read Mao thinks her rink best in the world. That may be one of the reasons. She also attends school. She also has her dogs and sister.

I also doubt Mao adjusting to Russia too well. She doesn't speak the language, either. Fumie is perhaps different though.

Even if she goes there, is TAT available full time?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Miki and Akiko are locks for the team unless maybe the latter completely bombs at nationals. That leaves one more spot. I can't see Fumie being picked over Mao for that one. Sure, she looks good this year, but does not really have the results to show for it, she did not medal in her GP nor make the GPF. Even if Mao is still popping her triple axels and otherwise skating like she did in Russia she still gets enough points to keep her in medal contention at nationals (she is not going to be down in 7)

Nadia01

Final Flight
Exactly. Both Yukari and Akiko could have some medal potential if top ladies have major meltdowns AND if they skate their best. Esp. Yukari would get a lot of sympathy because she missed it last time when Miki did horribly. Besides, other than Mao, the chance will be perhaps the last one for these three ladies (Yukari, Fumie, and Akiko).

Yukari may get some sympathy from the Japanese fans & officials, but not from the international judges. So that will factor in -- esp. since Yukari couldn't make it to the GPF.

Nadia01

Final Flight

It wasn't the JSF's rule that didn't allow her to go.

Also slapping a lawsuit here and there just isn't the proper Japanese way. Suing the JSF for not letting her go to Vancouver (which is only possible if she bombs horribly) is going to get her ZERO sympathy from the JSF and fans.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I read Mao thinks her rink best in the world. That may be one of the reasons. She also attends school. She also has her dogs and sister.

I also doubt Mao adjusting to Russia too well. She doesn't speak the language, either. Fumie is perhaps different though.

Even if she goes there, is TAT available full time?

I would imagine so since Mao is a real contender for an OM even if it may not be gold.

As for "atttending" school....forget it. Most Japanese uni students don't really "attend" classes. They go there to sleep after long hours working arubaito.